Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rafael Furcal - Out for Season

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Rafael Furcal - Out for Season

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    Would anyone do Hamilton for Taveras
    Every day and twice on Sundays. Oscar Taveras will be a monster bat. I still don't know if Billy's OBP skills will translate to the majors and he is learning a new position.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    Would anyone do Hamilton for Taveras
    I think this would be a one sided proposition because it wouldn't even be a debate on the Cardinals end of things. They would take a pass.

I think Mike has it right. The Cardinals were smarter than to expect much from Furcal this season. His loss doesn't really change their projections for this year. If I were a Cardinal fan, I'd be more worried about their pitching.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'm not really worried about the pitching because I think the bullpen is significantly better. Rosenthal will be there all year long and there is depth there. Besides, the Cards can still out slug most teams so the pitching staff doesn't have to be 90's Braves good.

A local media guy, Bernie Miklasz did some research on the SS position in the NL and it's almost historically bad. I forgot what the average batting average and power numbers of SS's in the NL but it was something around .240 with a low OPS. If Kozma can give the Cardinals .260 BA, .750 OPS with adequate defense, I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'm not really worried about the pitching because I think the bullpen is significantly better. Rosenthal will be there all year long and there is depth there. Besides, the Cards can still out slug most teams so the pitching staff doesn't have to be 90's Braves good.

A local media guy, Bernie Miklasz did some research on the SS position in the NL and it's almost historically bad. I forgot what the average batting average and power numbers of SS's in the NL but it was something around .240 with a low OPS. If Kozma can give the Cardinals .260 BA, .750 OPS with adequate defense, I'll be happy.
    Not sure how you define adequate, but it would take light years improvement from where he was last fall to get to that point. He made Descalzo look like a gold glover.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

That was $14 million flushed down the toilet by the Cards (counting last season too).

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    That was $14 million flushed down the toilet by the Cards (counting last season too).
    mehh... it's not my money, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Not sure how you define adequate, but it would take light years improvement from where he was last fall to get to that point. He made Descalzo look like a gold glover.
    He had 2 defensive runs saved and a 2.7 UZR in limited time last year. He's not as bad on defense at SS as you may think. He was bad in the playoffs but I think that was nerves. Plus it doesn't help perception when Hunter Pence hits one of the goofiest balls I've ever seen and he couldn't get to it.

. If Kozma can give the Cardinals .260 BA, .750 OPS with adequate defense, I'll be happy.
    I'd be shocked if he even touched that within .75 points.

2700 Minor League ABs say this - .236/.308/.344/.652

For those who remember Calvin Reese he had roughly the same number of ab's in the minors

.242/.304/.359/.663

In 2000 AB's with the Reds (in the BIGGEST HITTING ERA EVER IN THE GAMES HISTORY) had this line - .250/.308/.363/.671

11. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-08-2013)

If Kozma can give the Cardinals .260 BA, .750 OPS with adequate defense, I'll be happy.
    If Cozart gives the Reds a .900 OPS with adequate defense, I'll be happy.

Neither of those things are going to happen.

13. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    If Cozart gives the Reds a .900 OPS with adequate defense, I'll be happy.

Neither of those things are going to happen.
    Didn't you also say last year that Freese wasn't going to give the Cardinals 20 HRs?

Didn't you also say last year that Freese wasn't going to give the Cardinals 20 HRs?
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Albert Einstein

I've seen Taveras for either Andrus or Profar discussed in a few online chats or articles and haven't heard one 'expert' say Texas would do either deal. Why? because both Andrus & Profar can hit and play good defense at SS whereas Taveras is a corner outfielder. It does seem a natural fit but I'm not sure what the Cards would have to add to make the deal work for Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRock View Post
    Just announced that Furcal will be having Tommy John surgery and is out for year. Who replaces him, Kozma?
    Certainly not someone who plays at replacement level if recent history is an indicator. Whoever it is will probably hit 315/375/425
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

A .750 OPS SS with adequate defense is an all star. I bet you'd be happy.

.750?

Kozma will be lucky to get to .600. His 2 years at AAA are .610.

Turn Off Ads?