Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rafael Furcal - Out for Season

Re: Rafael Furcal - Out for Season

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Well then, let's make another wager.
    Lets have the same sort of punishment we had last season in the bet. If Kozma starts 120 games or more and has an OPS over .700, I win the bet.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Lets have the same sort of punishment we had last season in the bet. If Kozma starts 120 games or more and has an OPS over .700, I win the bet.
    I believe this is what you said about Kozma:

"If Kozma can give the Cardinals .260 BA, .750 OPS with adequate defense, I'll be happy".

When did it drop to .700?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

"If Kozma can give the Cardinals .260 BA, .750 OPS with adequate defense, I'll be happy".

I'll be happy doesn't equal realistic results. I would be happy with Allen Craig hitting 35 home runs. Realistically, he's probably in the 20-25 HR range.

When it stopped being a throw away, internet message board quote that 99.999% of the posters will forget about tomorrow and became a post that had at least some ramifications.

6. Likes:

Homer Bailey (03-12-2013)

Moving Goalposts at betting time!

8. Likes:

Homer Bailey (03-12-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-11-2013),remdog (03-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Moving Goalposts at betting time!
    nahh... I just bet on realistic possibilities. To me, him having a .300 OBP and a .400 SLG is realistic considering he's shown more power in recent years. Also remember, I never said Kozma WOULD ops over .750. I said I would be happy if he did, which are two different things.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 03-11-2013 at 01:54 PM.

nahh... I just bet on realistic possibilities. To me, him having a .300 OBP and a .400 SLG is realistic considering he's shown more power in recent years. Also remember, I never said Kozma WOULD ops over .750. I said I would be happy if he did, which are two different things.
    I agree that you "being happy with" something and the wager prop are two different things. But saying "you'd be happy" with that .750 OPS is an odd statement, and that is why you are getting called out to some extent. Where did that .750 number come from?

You should be absolutely elated if he posts a .700 OPS with adequate defense.

11. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I agree that you "being happy with" something and the wager prop are two different things. But saying "you'd be happy" with that .750 OPS is an odd statement, and that is why you are getting called out to some extent. Where did that .750 number come from?

You should be absolutely elated if he posts a .700 OPS with adequate defense.
    Just tired that day I guess. No method to me putting that number out there as a "happy metric". Geesh, lighten up guys.

Alright, I'm going full throttle here:

I will be happy if Matt Holliday hits 50 home runs and OPS's over 1.100. Bam! There you go, internet forums banter/hype!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'll be happy doesn't equal realistic results. I would be happy with Allen Craig hitting 35 home runs. Realistically, he's probably in the 20-25 HR range.

Let's be honest here. Look at the context of your post.

When you said you'd be "happy with a .750 OPS and adequate defense", you were suggesting that Kozma didn't really have to play up to his potential to be decent, and that even hitting a .750 OPS would be aceptable. You clearly were suggesting that a .750 OPS was on the low end of what he was likely to do, but that was OK.

15. Likes:

Let's be honest here. Look at the context of your post.

When you said you'd be "happy with a .750 OPS and adequate defense", you were suggesting that Kozma didn't really have to play up to his potential to be decent, and that even hitting a .750 OPS would be aceptable. You clearly were suggesting that a .750 OPS was on the low end of what he was likely to do, but that was OK.
    I give you props for over-analyzing and looking too much into what I said.

Maybe... but you did prop up a career minor leaguer with dog snot numbers as having a chance at winning the baseball lottery.

All we're doing is noting all the other players in the history of the game who end up holding a useless ticket with the same hopes

18. Likes:

I took what you said the same way others did. Perhaps you just didn't realize that those would be pretty darn good numbers when you threw it out there.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

20. Likes:

remdog (03-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I took what you said the same way others did. Perhaps you just didn't realize that those would be pretty darn good numbers when you threw it out there.
    I guess I didn't realize how bad SS production is league wide. I know it's a down period in this time in baseball history, as I noted before, but not this bad to where a .750 OPS is some lofty All Star goal.

I guess I didn't realize how bad SS production is league wide. I know it's a down period in this time in baseball history, as I noted before, but not this bad to where a .750 OPS is some lofty All Star goal.
    SS average in MLB history - .258/.318/.352/.671

Highest OPS 2007 -.741

Turn Off Ads?