Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Major League baseball is a business defined it by its ownership and their cities teams participation in a league

That's what the Reds are a business that participates in the NL

Since 1890
    Really? I thought it was a game? To each his own, I guess
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Really? I thought it was a game? To each his own, I guess
    Take it easy on this guy folks. According to his other post all his cerebral cortex neurons have died since 1990 so his brain function just isn't up to snuff.

(I'm really not invested in this debate at all, but couldn't help but comment on your "my cells are all dead" post -- spoiler alert, some are still alive )

4. Likes:

757690 (03-09-2013)

Come on, a half-truth is pretty solid per marketing standards.

6. Likes:

Cursh14 (03-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by KySteveH View Post
    So, by that logic, are the Yankees and Mets the same team? Are they also the same team as the Giants and Dodgers prior to their West Coast move?

The Browns and the Ravens are two distinct franchises. There is only one right way to look at that. It's no different than the Twins and Rangers. They are not the same, even though they were both the Senators at one time.
    I think there is merit to this argument. A team is made up of the players, the ownership...and the fan base. Even if there isn't a soul left alive in the Cincinnati area who celebrated the Reds 1919 World Championship and very few who celebrated the 1940 World Championship, those titles in a sense belonged to, and still belong to, Cincinnati and the Reds fan base.
    The Braves can list the 1914 and 1957 World Championships in their history, but those titles meant nothing to fans in Atlanta then or now. Similarly, while the terrific NL 1951 pennant race between the NY Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers is a part of baseball lore, that race and the title belonged to the NY area and its fanbase, not to San Francisco or Los Angeles.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

As a Cincinnatian (and rabid 19th Century baseball historian) I feel a strong connection to the 1869 team, even though I realize they are not the same franchise I now watch.

9. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I think there is merit to this argument. A team is made up of the players, the ownership...and the fan base. Even if there isn't a soul left alive in the Cincinnati area who celebrated the Reds 1919 World Championship and very few who celebrated the 1940 World Championship, those titles in a sense belonged to, and still belong to, Cincinnati and the Reds fan base.
    The Braves can list the 1914 and 1957 World Championships in their history, but those titles meant nothing to fans in Atlanta then or now. Similarly, while the terrific NL 1951 pennant race between the NY Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers is a part of baseball lore, that race and the title belonged to the NY area and its fanbase, not to San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Interesting.

I'm a former Browns fan. I loved the NFL and the Browns nearly as much as I love the Reds, which is an impossible standard to beat.

When they moved, I was done with them. I hate the Ravens now. And I'm completely indifferent to the new Browns.

Can't explain why. Just the outrage at what Modell did to that incredible fan base that packed an 80,000 seat stadium with passionate fans for every game.

I've been to Cleveland three or four times in my life, always to watch a sporting event. I have no connection to the city at all other than my love for the Browns.

And to RedBarons earlier point, I really doubt that anyone in Baltimore anguishes over Byners fumble or The Drive or any of the other clamaties we had to live through before Modell plunged a knife into the hearts of the entire Browns fanbase.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

11. Likes:

remdog (03-09-2013)

If anyone would have an opinion on "old" it would be RF

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Interesting.

I'm a former Browns fan. I loved the NFL and the Browns nearly as much as I love the Reds, which is an impossible standard to beat.

When they moved, I was done with them. I hate the Ravens now. And I'm completely indifferent to the new Browns.

Can't explain why. Just the outrage at what Modell did to that incredible fan base that packed an 80,000 seat stadium with passionate fans for every game.
    Well, you may have more reason than this guy, RFS62.

John Laroche: Look, I'll tell you a story, all right? I once fell deeply, you know, profoundly in love with tropical fish. Had 60 goddamn fish tanks in my house. I skin dived to find just the right ones. Anisotremus virginicus, Holdacanthus ciliaris, Chaetodon capistratus. You name it. Then one morning, I woke up and said, "F*** fish." I renounce fish, I will never set foot in that ocean again. That's how much "f*** fish." That was 17 years ago and I have never stuck so much as a toe in that ocean. And I love the ocean.

Susan Orlean: But why?

John Laroche: Done with fish.
    Last edited by malcontent; 03-09-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KySteveH View Post
    No, because the Browns moved to Baltimore before the Clowns came to be.
    Right, but it was agreed upon by all sides that when a new team came to Cleveland, they would inherit all the old Browns records/stats/history, and the Ravens would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    That might not even be accurate. I remember hearing that the Reds were just the first organization that admitted to paying their players. There were other organizations that paid their players under the table. The Reds were just the first to call it what it was.

But again, I heard this and it might not even be true.
    That is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Reds are the oldest team in baseball as much as the Browns are still in Cleveland.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    And to RedBarons earlier point, I really doubt that anyone in Baltimore anguishes over Byners fumble or The Drive or any of the other clamaties we had to live through before Modell plunged a knife into the hearts of the entire Browns fanbase.
    You hit the nail on the head. It is the city that matters, not an unbroken succession of ownership.

I am a huge Bengals fan, but if they moved to LA tomorrow I would never watch a Bengals game again for the rest of my life. I hate the Steelers, but if they moved to Cincy the day after the Bengals left I would buy season tickets.

18. Likes:

RadfordVA (03-12-2013),Screwball (03-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. It is the city that matters, not an unbroken succession of ownership.

I am a huge Bengals fan, but if they moved to LA tomorrow I would never watch a Bengals game again for the rest of my life. I hate the Steelers, but if they moved to Cincy the day after the Bengals left I would buy season tickets.

It would be awesome to have two competently owned sports teams in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Yeah, I've met more than a few Reds fans who have been quite stubborn and defensive when presented with this information. Some of my comments in that reddit thread are getting downvoted, when all I'm providing is facts
    Welcome to sports subreddits.

Turn Off Ads?