Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

  1. #31
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,203

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Major League baseball is a business defined it by its ownership and their cities teams participation in a league

    That's what the Reds are a business that participates in the NL

    Since 1890
    Really? I thought it was a game? To each his own, I guess
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,110

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Really? I thought it was a game? To each his own, I guess
    Take it easy on this guy folks. According to his other post all his cerebral cortex neurons have died since 1990 so his brain function just isn't up to snuff.

    (I'm really not invested in this debate at all, but couldn't help but comment on your "my cells are all dead" post -- spoiler alert, some are still alive )

  4. Likes:

    757690 (03-09-2013)

  5. #33
    Member Crumbley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    777
    Come on, a half-truth is pretty solid per marketing standards.

  6. Likes:

    Cursh14 (03-09-2013)

  7. #34
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,912

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by KySteveH View Post
    So, by that logic, are the Yankees and Mets the same team? Are they also the same team as the Giants and Dodgers prior to their West Coast move?

    The Browns and the Ravens are two distinct franchises. There is only one right way to look at that. It's no different than the Twins and Rangers. They are not the same, even though they were both the Senators at one time.
    I think there is merit to this argument. A team is made up of the players, the ownership...and the fan base. Even if there isn't a soul left alive in the Cincinnati area who celebrated the Reds 1919 World Championship and very few who celebrated the 1940 World Championship, those titles in a sense belonged to, and still belong to, Cincinnati and the Reds fan base.
    The Braves can list the 1914 and 1957 World Championships in their history, but those titles meant nothing to fans in Atlanta then or now. Similarly, while the terrific NL 1951 pennant race between the NY Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers is a part of baseball lore, that race and the title belonged to the NY area and its fanbase, not to San Francisco or Los Angeles.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  8. #35
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,477

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    As a Cincinnatian (and rabid 19th Century baseball historian) I feel a strong connection to the 1869 team, even though I realize they are not the same franchise I now watch.

  9. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (03-10-2013)

  10. #36
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I think there is merit to this argument. A team is made up of the players, the ownership...and the fan base. Even if there isn't a soul left alive in the Cincinnati area who celebrated the Reds 1919 World Championship and very few who celebrated the 1940 World Championship, those titles in a sense belonged to, and still belong to, Cincinnati and the Reds fan base.
    The Braves can list the 1914 and 1957 World Championships in their history, but those titles meant nothing to fans in Atlanta then or now. Similarly, while the terrific NL 1951 pennant race between the NY Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers is a part of baseball lore, that race and the title belonged to the NY area and its fanbase, not to San Francisco or Los Angeles.



    Interesting.

    I'm a former Browns fan. I loved the NFL and the Browns nearly as much as I love the Reds, which is an impossible standard to beat.

    When they moved, I was done with them. I hate the Ravens now. And I'm completely indifferent to the new Browns.

    Can't explain why. Just the outrage at what Modell did to that incredible fan base that packed an 80,000 seat stadium with passionate fans for every game.

    I've been to Cleveland three or four times in my life, always to watch a sporting event. I have no connection to the city at all other than my love for the Browns.

    And to RedBarons earlier point, I really doubt that anyone in Baltimore anguishes over Byners fumble or The Drive or any of the other clamaties we had to live through before Modell plunged a knife into the hearts of the entire Browns fanbase.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  11. Likes:

    remdog (03-09-2013)

  12. #37
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,213

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    If anyone would have an opinion on "old" it would be RF
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  13. #38
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,197

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Interesting.

    I'm a former Browns fan. I loved the NFL and the Browns nearly as much as I love the Reds, which is an impossible standard to beat.

    When they moved, I was done with them. I hate the Ravens now. And I'm completely indifferent to the new Browns.

    Can't explain why. Just the outrage at what Modell did to that incredible fan base that packed an 80,000 seat stadium with passionate fans for every game.
    Well, you may have more reason than this guy, RFS62.

    John Laroche: Look, I'll tell you a story, all right? I once fell deeply, you know, profoundly in love with tropical fish. Had 60 goddamn fish tanks in my house. I skin dived to find just the right ones. Anisotremus virginicus, Holdacanthus ciliaris, Chaetodon capistratus. You name it. Then one morning, I woke up and said, "F*** fish." I renounce fish, I will never set foot in that ocean again. That's how much "f*** fish." That was 17 years ago and I have never stuck so much as a toe in that ocean. And I love the ocean.

    Susan Orlean: But why?

    John Laroche: Done with fish.
    Last edited by malcontent; 03-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.

  14. #39
    [redacted]
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    312

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by KySteveH View Post
    No, because the Browns moved to Baltimore before the Clowns came to be.
    Right, but it was agreed upon by all sides that when a new team came to Cleveland, they would inherit all the old Browns records/stats/history, and the Ravens would not.

  15. #40
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,541

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    That might not even be accurate. I remember hearing that the Reds were just the first organization that admitted to paying their players. There were other organizations that paid their players under the table. The Reds were just the first to call it what it was.

    But again, I heard this and it might not even be true.
    That is true.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  16. #41
    Member redsrule2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    The Reds are the oldest team in baseball as much as the Browns are still in Cleveland.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

  17. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    361

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    And to RedBarons earlier point, I really doubt that anyone in Baltimore anguishes over Byners fumble or The Drive or any of the other clamaties we had to live through before Modell plunged a knife into the hearts of the entire Browns fanbase.
    You hit the nail on the head. It is the city that matters, not an unbroken succession of ownership.

    I am a huge Bengals fan, but if they moved to LA tomorrow I would never watch a Bengals game again for the rest of my life. I hate the Steelers, but if they moved to Cincy the day after the Bengals left I would buy season tickets.

  18. Likes:

    RadfordVA (03-12-2013), Screwball (03-12-2013)

  19. #43
    Member joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. It is the city that matters, not an unbroken succession of ownership.

    I am a huge Bengals fan, but if they moved to LA tomorrow I would never watch a Bengals game again for the rest of my life. I hate the Steelers, but if they moved to Cincy the day after the Bengals left I would buy season tickets.

    It would be awesome to have two competently owned sports teams in Cincinnati.

  20. #44
    Moderator LexRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    559

    Re: Are the Reds the oldest team in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Yeah, I've met more than a few Reds fans who have been quite stubborn and defensive when presented with this information. Some of my comments in that reddit thread are getting downvoted, when all I'm providing is facts
    Welcome to sports subreddits.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25