Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds honoring Morgan with statue in front of park

Joe Morgan Statue

I noticed at Redsfest they are seeking donations to help erect a Joe Morgan statue. I love the Bench statue but for some reason I am not to overly fond of the design for the Morgan statue.

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Morgan Statue

I wouldn't have thought they'd go with a pose of him dancing, but hey, it was the seventies.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think they should have him in a batting stance and have a mechanical arm that pumps.

5. Likes:

919191 (03-11-2013)

Morgan was much more than a base stealer. His bat was lethal, his defense superb, and his mind for the game unparalleled.

Senor Votto

Why in the world do they need donations?

81% career stolen base percent!

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    They can't get the TV contract the Dodgers will be getting.

I think this might be better.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

They should consider putting a Pete Rose statue somewhere on the Banks looking at the Stadium.

Yeah Yeah, feed the ego I know. But he earned it.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    They should consider putting a Pete Rose statue somewhere on the Banks looking at the Stadium.

Yeah Yeah, feed the ego I know. But he earned it.
    Supposedly they are doing 2 more status featuring Perez and Rose. I went to JB's statue ceremony and he stated that he told the Reds he would agree to a statue if Morgan, Perez and Rose were all given the same honor.

I think the area they now designate as the "Rose Garden" where Pete's 4192 hit fell would be a good place for his.

Maybe the Reds didn't want a hitting theme behind Morgans because in all likelihood the status for Rose and Perez will be of hitting and they wanted all the status to be focused on more than just hitting. I really don't know, I am just taking a guess.

Maybe the Morgan statue will grow on me but the first time I saw it I just didn't like it for some reason.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

That's kind of a weird statue. But I guess as long as the statue isn't of him in a broadcast booth, it's all good.

14. Likes:

LexRedsFan (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. It can't cost much more than a rounding error for the Reds. I would be embarrassed saying that. Is it something through the Reds Hall of Fame and since it is a charity (I think) they can make it deductible?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I think they should have him in a batting stance and have a mechanical arm that pumps.
    That would be great! That is first thought of him when anyone says his name.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    That's what I was thinking. It can't cost much more than a rounding error for the Reds. I would be embarrassed saying that. Is it something through the Reds Hall of Fame and since it is a charity (I think) they can make it deductible?
    The Reds HOF budget is separate from the Reds budget although Castellini looks over everything in the budget. An example is that our vintage base ball club's donations from the Reds HOF & museum have dropped from 2,500 in 2009 to 1,250 the past 3 years. Our club president is very pessimistic we will get anything from them for this coming year. That's not a knock on the Reds or the Reds HOF, that's just an example of how they run things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Maybe the Reds didn't want a hitting theme behind Morgans because in all likelihood the status for Rose and Perez will be of hitting and they wanted all the status to be focused on more than just hitting. I really don't know, I am just taking a guess.
    If the Rose statue isn't diving head first into second base, I am going to be quite perturbed. That image embodies 'Charlie Hustle' like none other.

Turn Off Ads?