Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds honoring Morgan with statue in front of park

Re: Joe Morgan Statue

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Reds HOF budget is separate from the Reds budget
    Assuming this is true, then I believe that my $75 membership fee was enough of a donation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it makes sense that Joe Morgan would be portrayed stealing a base. All the BRM guys were hitters, but only Morgan made second base nearly automatic if he reached first. If my memory serves correctly, whenever he was on first the television screen was nearly always split between the center field camera pointing in at the pitcher/batter and Morgan taking his lead.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I think it makes sense that Joe Morgan would be portrayed stealing a base. All the BRM guys were hitters, but only Morgan made second base nearly automatic if he reached first. If my memory serves correctly, whenever he was on first the television screen was nearly always split between the center field camera pointing in at the pitcher/batter and Morgan taking his lead.
    You are correct. Also at Riverfront the scoreboard would be leading cheers of Go! Go! whenever Morgan reached first.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If the Rose statue isn't diving head first into second base, I am going to be quite perturbed. That image embodies 'Charlie Hustle' like none other.
    Third base. He would have to be diving into 3rd.

I guess home works too.

Last edited by klw; 12-10-2012 at 07:41 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Anything less than a statue of Rose bowling over Ray Fosse, would be unjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Anything less than a statue of Rose bowling over Ray Fosse, would be unjust.
    If we are going to include opposing players, I'd rather see a statue of Pete giving Bud Harrelson the business.

8. Likes:

919191 (03-11-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree with the head first slide...but seriously...how do you make that a statue? Something has to connect to the base of it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I agree with the head first slide...but seriously...how do you make that a statue? Something has to connect to the base of it.
    You make the statue from a shot that takes place a tenth of a second or so later, when Pete is belly down on the ground.

The proposed statue doesn't exactly scream "Joe Morgan" to me.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The proposed statue doesn't exactly scream "Joe Morgan" to me.
    I think thats my problem with it to. The Bench statue screams "Bench" to me.

I think something as simply as Morgans batting stance would be cool.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I still think having him in the act of stealing is fine, but at the same time the prototype shown is pretty mundane. Having him in the act of making his jump...or in his lead-off, with both feet on the turf would be more uniquely Morgan-esque. Him in a batting stance is not very unique, but the picture cited above conjures Joe Morgan, possibly because it was a poster (which I had on my bedroom wall!).
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If we are going to include opposing players, I'd rather see a statue of Pete giving Bud Harrelson the business.

But the Reds were losing that game and also lost the series. One could argue that Pete's actions woke up and fired up the entire Mets team and possibly the entire opponent's stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Morgan was much more than a base stealer. His bat was lethal, his defense superb, and his mind for the game unparalleled.
    Absolutely. Maybe they should have a series of five statues! Not sure what the "mind for the game" one would look like though.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Part of the problem with Morgan is there is not really an iconic image of him that easily translates his moment or skill set that can be put into a sculpture. The strongest image is the arm movement. In terms of photos these are the three that come to mind.
    The first is him after swinging and there are a number of similar ones to this:

Then there is the 75 series.

And lastly:

One thought is that they could just do either the 75 or 76 team either in lineup or celebrating.

Add Sparky to that one of course.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    One thought is that they could just do either the 75 or 76 team either in lineup or celebrating.

Add Sparky to that one of course.
    You mean like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?