Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: March Madness 2013 discussion

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: March Madness 2013 discussion

This weekend has been awesome.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

2. Turn Off Ads?

Big XII has the same number of teams remaining as the A-10, A-Sun, MVC and SEC. That was a bad league this year. You could tell before the Tournament because K-State won a share of its regular season title.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    UCLA has to do better than Shaka Smart.They need a John Calipari type of hire.someone who runs an offense that players want to play for.That being said, I don't know if there is a quick fix hire.
    I think a lot of players would love to play the style Smart employs. His lack of experience on the West Coast recruiting would give me more pause if I'm UCLA than his offensive style.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else think it more than a coincidence that certain schools get what amounts to a home court advantage in the tourney and then get the advantage of ridiculous calls down the stretch in their games? Not to mention the blatant boosterism in favor of the big money schools by certain CBS announcers.

I'm not conspiratorially minded but this is getting a little hard to ignore. If I was Creighton, I'd keep my hands on my wallet.
    Home court is not really a conspiracy as the procedures pretty much explicitly state that each team in the top 16 (seeds 1-4 in each region) gets the game in the closest remaining pod.

As for the officiating, it's so inconsistent from one play to the next that it's hard to really quantify any conspiracy. Perhaps they do that to throw us off the scent.

The play that Bucksfan was referencing was a perfect example. They let both sides get away with a lot of contact through much of the game but then called that a foul.

The play "only" led to a 3 point swing as Oladipo missed one free throw, but the swing of up 1 vs down 2(as Wyatt had a clear layup) was really big.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Tubby fired at Minnesota? Kinda sad.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I was surprised to hear that. I thought he did a pretty good job there considering it was Minnesota and all. What more did they expect from him? What is it about Tubby that folks don't like?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    This is pretty disappointing. I thought he had done a nice job up there, it is Minnesota for heaven's sake. I'm sure he'll get plenty of opportunities elsewhere.

I'm somewhat surprised they seem to be making some movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I was surprised to hear that. I thought he did a pretty good job there considering it was Minnesota and all. What more did they expect from him? What is it about Tubby that folks don't like?
    The perception of Smith, fair or not, is that he is the NCAA version of Lenny Wilkens: Classy, plays by the rules, possesses the ability to take a team from "bad" to "good". But cannot take a team from "good" to "great".

His lack of recruiting success within the state of Minnesota, which is actually more talent laden than most realize, and the amount of successful high-profile transfers under his regime - Devoe Joseph, Colt Iverson and Royce White, to name a few - didn't sit well with Gopher fans / boosters.

Nevertheless, as you and others have pointed out, it is Minnesota. It will require a Herculean effort for Minnesota to become a year-in / year - out B1G powerhouse.

Remember when Glen Mason's Gopher Football teams finished with winning records - many times 8-3 or 7-4 - and that wasn't good enough?

His replacement, Tim Brewster, was a disaster. It is not at all unlikely that the same fate may befall the Gopher hoops program, unless a home run hire emerges.

Good luck with that.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-25-2013),Sea Ray (03-25-2013)

The only coach ever to take Gonzaga to the Elite Eight certainly flamed out there.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The only coach ever to take Gonzaga to the Elite Eight certainly flamed out there.
    True.

But Dan Monson was behind the Eight-Ball from the get-go, thanks to several years of recruiting sanctions imposed after Clem Haskins got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Racists...

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    True.

But Dan Monson was behind the Eight-Ball from the get-go, thanks to several years of recruiting sanctions imposed after Clem Haskins got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
    Which brings us to another point... Minnesota has only been good with Mychal Thompson or if they let the staff secretary write their players' papers.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I don't know that Minnesota can realistically do better than Glen Mason and Tubby Smith.

Shame to see them run those guys off the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Racists...
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I'll leave my thoughts in the UK thread however.

Tubby's problem is that he forces players to play to "his" style of basketball rather than building around the players. He has to have "his" recruits to run it which means sacrificing McDonald's All Americans for lesser talent.

I think another reason Tubby was outed was the 2014 recruiting class. Two top recruits are from Minnesota and they need someone who is able to keep them in-state. One of the recruits is Tyus Jones, who is already being recruited by Calipari at Kentucky.
    Last edited by WVRed; 03-25-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?