Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: March Madness 2013 discussion

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: March Madness 2013 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Going to be strange rooting against a guy named Larkin. Hopefully Buzz is figuring out a way to stop him.
    You don't have to stop Larkin......you just have to shut down the other 4 guys on the floor.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Source: UCLA Boosters Want Mark Gottfried.

With Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens apparently out of the mix at UCLA, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told SNY.tv that the school’s boosters support the hiring of N.C. State head coach Mark Gottfried.

“Mark said he wants it and the boosters want Mark Gottfried,” the source told SNY.tv. “He’s got the support of the boosters.”

Smart is reportedly negotiating an extension at VCU, according to SI.com, while Stevens is said to want to avoid the limelight associated with Los Angeles.

“Shaka and Brad Stevens were their top choices,” the source said. “Neither of them wants it.
    http://zagsblog.com/articles/source-...ark-gottfried/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    You don't have to stop Larkin......you just have to shut down the other 4 guys on the floor.
    Good point. i suspect they'll try to do what they did to Rontei Clarke- wear him down. Barry must be really proud.
    Here's an interesting article from a Warrior perspective on what Larkin does in the Miami offense:

http://painttouches.com/2013/03/26/h...l-effectively/

Davante Gardner may have an easier time against the Canes. Granted, the Canes have a lot of depth up front.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami center Reggie Johnson did not accompany the Hurricanes to Washington on Tuesday evening in preparation for the team's Sweet 16 game, the school said in a statement.

Reggie Johnson didn't travel to Washington on Tuesday, but is expected to be able to play in the Final Four if Miami advances.

A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that Johnson had a surgical procedure to repair a minor meniscus issue Tuesday and will not play in this weekend's East Regional games.
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...cording-report
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Good point. i suspect they'll try to do what they did to Rontei Clarke- wear him down. Barry must be really proud.
    Here's an interesting article from a Warrior perspective on what Larkin does in the Miami offense:

http://painttouches.com/2013/03/26/h...l-effectively/
    As Dan Patrick would say....."You cant stop him, you can only hope to contain him."

I am sure the Canes are gonna feel the Warriors(I am old school, they will always be the Warriors to me) pressure. Miami is not used to the Big East/B1G style of basketball. I surmise the physicality that Marquette brings will wear on the kids from FLA. But I have been wrong before!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Source: UCLA Boosters Want Mark Gottfried.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/source-...ark-gottfried/
    If I was a UCLA booster I would have been highly impressed with what Gottfried did this year with an under talented NC State team!!!!!! They were one of the biggest disappointments of the year as far as I am concerned.

Per Collegebasketballtalk.com

Here’s an interesting stat: Arizona’s Kaleb Tarczewski is the only top-10 recruit in this season’s freshman class that hasn’t been eliminated from March Madness. For the most part, the 2013 NCAA tournament has belonged to guys who were not highly sought after coming out of high school.

If I was a UCLA booster I would have been highly impressed with what Gottfried did this year with an under talented NC State team!!!!!! They were one of the biggest disappointments of the year as far as I am concerned.
    Yup - isn't that just what Howland had become. Get number 1 recruiting class in nation and proceed to underperform. NC State fans were all gaga for this year and then that team looked disinterested for half their games. Not a coach I would be too interested in at this time if I was UCLA because he is, apparently, Howland Lite
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Per Collegebasketballtalk.com

Here’s an interesting stat: Arizona’s Kaleb Tarczewski is the only top-10 recruit in this season’s freshman class that hasn’t been eliminated from March Madness. For the most part, the 2013 NCAA tournament has belonged to guys who were not highly sought after coming out of high school.
    This class was pretty weak overall. A decent indicator is the Nike Hoops Summit coming up. The US team (made up of mostly incoming freshman) lost for only the second time in the last 11 years. The other team that lost was the John Wall, Boogie Cousins team.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

AH,

There's another way to look at this.

N.C State didn't anoint themselves Preseason #1 in the ACC and Top 10 in the Nation. Just like Kentucky and Calipari didn't anoint themselves Preseason Top 5.

The Media did.

Judging by our own Redzone boards, UK fans knew that everything had to break right for UK to finish in the Top 5. And, After previously living 19 years in the Triangle, I can safely tell you that the majority of Wolfpack backers felt the same as UK fans about the possibility of unrealistic expectations.

I can also tell you that N.C State is a plum job in its own right. Frankly, when you can consider that USC now has a nice on-campus Arena, one can argue that UCLA is no longer a better job than USC.

In conclusion, I wouldn't be at all surprised if UCLA goes in another direction due to the cost of Gottfried's buyout (3.75 mil) and the fact that they are still paying off Howland. Throw in the fact that UCLA, unlike USC, is a public University and the cost may be too prohibitive for Gottfried.

A wildcard in the UCLA coaching search? Pacers assistant / former NBA player Brian Shaw, whom Kobe wanted to coach the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Yup - isn't that just what Howland had become. Get number 1 recruiting class in nation and proceed to underperform. NC State fans were all gaga for this year and then that team looked disinterested for half their games. Not a coach I would be too interested in at this time if I was UCLA because he is, apparently, Howland Lite
    Unlike College Football, Preseason Polls don't mean squat.

UCLA underperformed just how?

UCLA won the PAC 12 regular season title; the only one that really counts. Who really cares about asinine / Made for TV Conference tournaments that just cheapen the regular season.

In defense of Howland, is it his fault that Jordan Adams got hurt? UCLA may well still be playing if that injury hadn't occurred.

Even without Adams, it is a safe bet that the Bruins would still be playing if they had been properly placed in the West instead of Arizona - a team that the Bruins beat three times last year.

As Dan Patrick would say....."You cant stop him, you can only hope to contain him."

I am sure the Canes are gonna feel the Warriors(I am old school, they will always be the Warriors to me) pressure. Miami is not used to the Big East/B1G style of basketball. I surmise the physicality that Marquette brings will wear on the kids from FLA. But I have been wrong before!!!!!!
    Good point. Which means how close the zebras call the game will be of major significance. On the other hand Marquette has been totally blown away at this point the last two years by North Carolina and Florida. Hopefully having been through that, the boys can now handle the move up to prime time. And the guys from Miami have not experienced that before.

Then again, Marquette can't shoot and I understand Miami really can, so that might outweigh everything. It usually does.

AH,

There's another way to look at this.

N.C State didn't anoint themselves Preseason #1 in the ACC and Top 10 in the Nation. Just like Kentucky and Calipari didn't anoint themselves Preseason Top 5.

The Media did.

Judging by our own Redzone boards, UK fans knew that everything had to break right for UK to finish in the Top 5. And, After previously living 19 years in the Triangle, I can safely tell you that the majority of Wolfpack backers felt the same as UK fans about the possibility of unrealistic expectations.

I can also tell you that N.C State is a plum job in its own right. Frankly, when you can consider that USC now has a nice on-campus Arena, one can argue that UCLA is no longer a better job than USC.

In conclusion, I wouldn't be at all surprised if UCLA goes in another direction due to the cost of Gottfried's buyout (3.75 mil) and the fact that they are still paying off Howland. Throw in the fact that UCLA, unlike USC, is a public University and the cost may be too prohibitive for Gottfried.

A wildcard in the UCLA coaching search? Pacers assistant / former NBA player Brian Shaw, whom Kobe wanted to coach the Lakers.
    Couldn't have put it better, although Gottfried is a former UCLA assistant and that is why he is being linked I believe. Still, the guy can recruit, just can't do jack with the players he recruits.

One name I'll throw out that would be a home run hire I have heard linked is Billy Donovan. He runs an up-tempo style, has success recruiting kids to warmer climate areas, and I think would be able to build a quick contender in the Pac-12. Not to mention he is used to being at a program that is second fiddle (At Florida its football, in LA it's the Lakers).

Problem is, he turned down Kentucky, a similar job (albeit without the west coast draw) twice and the NBA once. He and his wife are happy in Florida, but I think he could add to his championships by moving to Westwood.

If that happened, Shaka Smart to Florida would be inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Negative. Shaka's going to make his own legacy, not borrow someone else's.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2026561
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Couldn't have put it better, although Gottfried is a former UCLA assistant and that is why he is being linked I believe. Still, the guy can recruit, just can't do jack with the players he recruits.

One name I'll throw out that would be a home run hire I have heard linked is Billy Donovan. He runs an up-tempo style, has success recruiting kids to warmer climate areas, and I think would be able to build a quick contender in the Pac-12. Not to mention he is used to being at a program that is second fiddle (At Florida its football, in LA it's the Lakers).

Problem is, he turned down Kentucky, a similar job (albeit without the west coast draw) twice and the NBA once. He and his wife are happy in Florida, but I think he could add to his championships by moving to Westwood.

In defense of Gottfried, while he's not, IMHO, an improvement over Howland, he did reach the Elite 8 at Alabama in '04, losing to eventual champion UConn. And the majority of the N.C State players under his brief tenure were recruited by Sidney Lowe - and we all know how well Lowe coached those kids.

As for Donovan, I'm as skeptical as you are about him possibly leaving Florida, but it makes sense, given the reasons that you outlined.

Should Donovan leave for Westwood, the Gators should be able to land a top-flight coach, even with Smart apparently out of the picture. Thanks to Donovan, Florida is now viewed as a destination job.

It's kind of funny to think that Lon Kruger - two years removed from taking the Gators to the Final Four - left Florida for Illinois in '96. That wouldn't happen today.

Turn Off Ads?