Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: March Madness 2013 discussion

Re: March Madness 2013 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I live in Wichita (moved from Boston a couple of years ago).
    How's the sea food in Wichita?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Really? They weren't getting the guys they really wanted. I think they did about as good as possible with Alford.
    UCLA is gambling that Alford, who has shown the ability to recruit SoCal, can land AAU and High School players from that area that Howland was missing out on due to burning bridges with the AAU/High School coaches.

Not of this changes the fact that Howland is an excellent coach and, in many respects, got a raw deal.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I live in Wichita (moved from Boston a couple of years ago). This town may burn down tonight. Unbelievable. As a Xavier alum who detests Thad Matta, tonight was a nice double-whammy!
    Why do you dislike him?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

5. Likes:

WMR (03-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    UCLA is gambling that Alford, who has shown the ability to recruit SoCal, can land AAU and High School players from that area that Howland was missing out on due to burning bridges with the AAU/High School coaches.

Not of this changes the fact that Howland is an excellent coach and, in many respects, got a raw deal.
    Howland definitely got a raw deal. What puzzles me about the hire is Alford's style is no different than Howland's.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Howland definitely got a raw deal. What puzzles me about the hire is Alford's style is no different than Howland's.
    I don't know, I've always seen Howland (until this year trying to save his job) as being a grind it out defensive Big East coach in the Pac 10/12. Alford from what I've read plays a more up-tempo style than what Howland did.

Myself, I would have waited and seen if John Beilein or Thad Matta (the former being more likely) would have taken it. Alford has west coast connections and that's why he got the job.

Also don't think Howland got a raw deal. Yes he did make it to three Final Fours but the teams following he lost complete control of. Reeves Nelson being the most specific. Wouldn't be shocked if something comes out with Shabazz Muhammad either.
    Last edited by WVRed; 03-31-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

The Big East plays "grind-it-out" basketball?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The Big East plays "grind-it-out" basketball?
    Maybe not as much now, but at one point in time definitely. UConn, Syracuse, WVU (when they were there), Marquette all played physical basketball. Maybe not Bo Ryan grind it out, but pretty much in the same ballpark.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yay!

Jeesh. Feel awful for Ware. Just disturbing.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Prayers to Ware. Worst bball injury I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Jeesh. Feel awful for Ware. Just disturbing.
    Horrible looking injury!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

I haven't seen it. Don't want to see it. But can someone tell me what happened exactly? The reactions on twitter basically leaving me with the knowledge that it was terrible, but beyond that, no real description and I don't want to google it in case there is an image.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I haven't seen it. Don't want to see it. But can someone tell me what happened exactly? The reactions on twitter basically leaving me with the knowledge that it was terrible, but beyond that, no real description and I don't want to google it in case there is an image.
    Ware jumped to try to block a three-pointer, and when he landed, his leg just shattered. Imagine a stick being broken in half and holding on by a string. That's what it looked like when he lifted his leg. It's probably the most jaw-dropping thing I've ever seen in sports.

Here's a link to the video, but it is certainly not for the faint of heart.
    http://twitter.yfrog.com/nmbvvtabxidqqddtzqsvcvfrz

He was closing on a shot, fell awkwardly, and his shin broke clean in two. His shin was at a 45 degree angle the wrong way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I didn't see it either but Kevin Ware broke his leg. His knee did a 180 and the bone came through the skin. Marcus Lattimore bad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

His leg broke beneath his knee. The lower part of his leg was hanging down and a large portion of the shin bone had broken through the skin and was sticking out.

Turn Off Ads?