Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: March Madness 2013 discussion

Re: March Madness 2013 discussion

Pitino to Minnesota.

Richard Pitino, that is. Probably a pretty decent hire. Some major conference school was going to give him a shot. Why not them?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Minnesota went down the RPI rankings and offered every head coach starting with the #1 ranked team on down. They finally got a taker at Richard Pitino.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think Minnesota went down the RPI rankings and offered every head coach starting with the #1 ranked team on down. They finally got a taker at Richard Pitino.
    At the introductory press conference; Richard Pitino was absolutely our number one choice after the first 65 guys we offered the job to turned us down.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

5. Likes:

Chip R (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Neither of those teams has any NBA players. Marquette was overrated IMO as well. They were essentially Florida with far worse shooters. They play swarming defense, but they're very offensively challenged. .
    Are you saying that at any point during the year, either Marquette or Wisconsin qualified as "weak competition"? Syracuse could be called "offensively challenged" too, how are they doing?

As far as no NBA players, if you want to use that criteria, Williams has players from his last four teams playing in the NBA. (Matthews, Hayward, Butler, and Crowder). Considering his track record, it would be foolish to dismiss Blue, Wilson, or Gardner as non NBA players.

Top TV markets for this year's NCAA Tourney:

1. Louisville
    2. Columbus
    3. Indianapolis
    5. Dayton
    9. Cincinnati

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._flyout_sports
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Go Shockers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Are you saying that at any point during the year, either Marquette or Wisconsin qualified as "weak competition"? Syracuse could be called "offensively challenged" too, how are they doing?

As far as no NBA players, if you want to use that criteria, Williams has players from his last four teams playing in the NBA. (Matthews, Hayward, Butler, and Crowder). Considering his track record, it would be foolish to dismiss Blue, Wilson, or Gardner as non NBA players.
    Not weak competition, but not elite either. Marquette is offensively challenged in a completely different way than Syracuse. Marquette was luky to score 39 last week. Marquette just doesn't have guys that can hit jump shots consistently. They're more athletic than most teams that they play, but not Florida. So if you can't hit outside shots and aren't athletic enough to get to the rim consistently, that's a recipe for disaster.

And fine, I'll grant you that Vander Blue may play in the NBA, but those other guys have no chance. Michigan has 3 future lottery picks and a 1st round draft pick in their starting lineup. And the best player against Florida was Stauskas, who has a good chance at an NBA career too. It's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Not weak competition, but not elite either. Marquette is offensively challenged in a completely different way than Syracuse. Marquette was luky to score 39 last week. Marquette just doesn't have guys that can hit jump shots consistently. They're more athletic than most teams that they play, but not Florida. So if you can't hit outside shots and aren't athletic enough to get to the rim consistently, that's a recipe for disaster.

And fine, I'll grant you that Vander Blue may play in the NBA, but those other guys have no chance. Michigan has 3 future lottery picks and a 1st round draft pick in their starting lineup. And the best player against Florida was Stauskas, who has a good chance at an NBA career too. It's not even close.
    1. Co Big East Champs, undefeated at home, waxed the ACC champ in the sweet 16: I'm glad your conceeding they wern't "weak". And since they made it to the "Elite Eight", I guess by definition they were considered "elite".

2 See me a year from now and we'll talk about whether or not Jamil Wilson is going to play in the NBA.

3. And didn't those future NBA stars at Michigan play Wisconsin twice- How'd those two games turn out? And I'm sure you had Michigan in your bracket to get to the final 4, you just didn't bother to tell anyone about it.

All this talk about lottery picks and Louisville advances thanks in large part to a walk on.

Bummed out. WSU should have won that game. Orupke missing those two front ends of the one and one when the Shockers were up 12 killed them.

All this talk about lottery picks and Louisville advances thanks in large part to a walk on.
    A walk on and a GM transfer whose only chance to play pro ball is in Europe.

1. Co Big East Champs, undefeated at home, waxed the ACC champ in the sweet 16: I'm glad your conceeding they wern't "weak". And since they made it to the "Elite Eight", I guess by definition they were considered "elite".

2 See me a year from now and we'll talk about whether or not Jamil Wilson is going to play in the NBA.

3. And didn't those future NBA stars at Michigan play Wisconsin twice- How'd those two games turn out? And I'm sure you had Michigan in your bracket to get to the final 4, you just didn't bother to tell anyone about it.
    I feel like we're just talking in circles at this point... I'm not really trying to denigrate Marquette, because I think they're a good team. That said, they were a much better team at the end of the year than they were when they played Florida. They lost to Green Bay a few games after losing to Florida... But I still think Florida would have beaten them soundly at the end of the year because they were both very similar teams. But everything Marquette did well, Florida did better. Against most teams, Florida could rattle teams with their pressure and strength inside. But with Burke handling the ball and McGary underneath, the two areas where Florida dominated teams were eliminated.

2. Maybe Jamil Wilson plays in the NBA, but nobody on Marquette would get drafted after this year. 4 Michigan starters would go in the first round.

3. And I actually had Michigan losing in the first round to South Dakota State . I did not anticipate McGary's coming out party. I'm an IU fan, so I definitely don't like Michigan and was happy to see them lose twice to IU. But I think they would have beaten IU if McGary had been playing like he is now. And yes, Michigan lost to Wisconsin, but Florida and Wisconsin are as dissimilar as any two teams in college basketball. Florida wants to get out and run. But Michigan (along with IU and Louisville) is one of the best at doing that in college basketball, and beat Florida at their own game. Wisconsin slows the game down, neutralizing the great athletes they play against. Wisconsin was actually better against the most athletic teams they played (IU, UM, OSU) than some of the weaker teams because the athletic teams didn't know how to play when they couldn't get out and spread the floor and run. Michigan could never set the pace and therefore lost.

And now the word's I never thought I would EVER, EVER, EVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAR hear come out of my mouth/keyboard....

LETS GO MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

16. Likes:

Benihana (04-07-2013)

Go Blue, been waiting 20 years to make up for the last one

18. Likes:

Benihana (04-07-2013)

Hail to the Victors!!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?