Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: March Madness 2013 discussion

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: March Madness 2013 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

On a more serious note, I kinda wonder if Pitino will call it quits. With the HOF induction, Richard landing the Minnesota job, and winning a national championship outside of Lexington, there has been some speculation that he may go out on top.
    If he does, I hope Tom Jurich offers the world to Brad Stevens and can coax him out of the Hoosier state.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd rather have Gregg Marshall. I love that guy.

Of course, he's currently my neighbor (basically).

BTW, Marshall is certainly no flash in the pan to me. I've been a big fan of his since attending this game: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...11/10/nav_way/
    Last edited by Boston Red; 04-09-2013 at 10:03 AM.

I tuned in to watch the NCAA Championship and was given the BCS title game. I thought the refs were abysmal, just awful. They let both teams play like a football game in the first and then started calling some tickey tacky fouls in the 2nd. There was a blatant kick that everyone on the court stopped for except the refs. I didn't actually mind the Burke block call. It was as good of a block as you will see, but often times when two players go at it full speed and one ends up on the ground they call a foul. Not the right call, just an acceptable one to me. I like when teams are able to get at it, but I think it went a little too far last night.

I thought Beilein coached a pretty poor game last night. He had unexpected production from a guy named Spike Albrecht in the 1st half and he should have left it at that. Albrecht morphed into his usual self in the 2nd half. He was loose with the ball, took some poor shots, and took the ball out of Burke and Hardaway's hands at times. I thought he should have went with Stauskas at the 2 like he had during most of the season. His player management when UM needed to foul was questionable at best. When you need to foul you can't have you best two players with 4 fouls on the court. Some precious time ran off the clock when Burke couldn't foul Siva.

All in all it was an entertaining game and the best team won. Hopefully Michigan has an exodus to the NBA now because they could be scary good if everyone returns.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed because I'm sure it would sound like sour grapes coming from an alum, but the officiating was awful last night. I've seen worse, but they were pretty bad. I'd like to believe it didn't affect the outcome of the game, but there were enough blatantly bad calls down the stretch to not know if that's the case or not. I hate seeing officiating play any role at all in big games.
    The officiating was awful but I didn't think it favored one team over the other. From missing kicked balls, to the scrums on the loose balls, to the Burke block, to Behanon getting mugged under the basket it seemed to impact both teams.

7. Likes:

On a more serious note, I kinda wonder if Pitino will call it quits. With the HOF induction, Richard landing the Minnesota job, and winning a national championship outside of Lexington, there has been some speculation that he may go out on top.
    I'd be shocked. After the TWill team I think he was ready to hang it up but I think he loved coaching this team and it has rejuvenated him. Ralph Willard was asked for his thoughts on this and he basically said the same thing. Besides, he has built a nice pipeline and will have another top 10 team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    On a unifying point, its become clear where the center of the college basketball universe is right now and it's not tobacco road. The bluegrass is dominant right now.
    Look at the seasons Indiana, Ohio State, and Cincinnati had--it's the entire Ohio River Valley...

10. Likes:

Cincinnati? Not really.

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned...the Michigan coach committed an unforgivable error in this game:
    According to Beilein, that was a brain fart by him. He thought they only had to foul once to put Louisville on the line, so he told his team to wait and try and foul Louisville's Gorgui Dieng, a poor free throw shooter. He said after the game (via the Detroit Free Press):

"I thought (they) were in the one-and-one. It was a coaching error."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/michi...#ixzz2PyyiQqBN

Tell me, how can he properly coach his team if he doesn't properly keep track of whether his team is in the 1 and 1 situation or not? I'm not going to speculate whether this error cost his team the game. We'll never know but how can a guy coach oblivious to the foul situation?

I think he deserves more criticism than he's getting this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Cincinnati? Not really.
    They made the tournament, didn't they? That's not bad for the second school in the state...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    They made the tournament, didn't they? That's not bad for the second school in the state...
    Second-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned...the Michigan coach committed an unforgivable error in this game:

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/michi...#ixzz2PyyiQqBN

Tell me, how can he properly coach his team if he doesn't properly keep track of whether his team is in the 1 and 1 situation or not? I'm not going to speculate whether this error cost his team the game. We'll never know but how can a guy coach oblivious to the foul situation?

I think he deserves more criticism than he's getting this morning
    Par for the course in Michigan. Kinda like Webber.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Par for the course in Michigan. Kinda like Webber.
    Yes, very much like Webber but I find it much more egregious if it's a coach.

I'd be shocked. After the TWill team I think he was ready to hang it up but I think he loved coaching this team and it has rejuvenated him. Ralph Willard was asked for his thoughts on this and he basically said the same thing. Besides, he has built a nice pipeline and will have another top 10 team next year.
    Already out that Russ Smith is gone to the NBA and Giorgui Dieng may not be far behind. If Behanon decides to go pro as well (rumored) in addition to Siva leaving, the top 10 ranking may take a hit.

As for Pitino, the best word I can think of to describe his entire tenure at Louisville is "roller coaster". A year and a half ago, before the run through the Big East tournament that eventually culminated with last night, a lot of Louisville fans wanted Pitino replaced because of how popular Calipari had become in Lexington while Pitino was reeling with the Cardinals. There was the 2005 Final Four, followed by the Karen Sypher scandal. A lot of ups and downs.

I just wonder how the fans will react in three years if Louisville goes through another stage of mediocrity while Cal is bringing in blue chip recruits into Lexington. Pitino has reached the pinnacle of success and isn't getting any younger. If next years team is gutted, I could see Pitino fading off into the sunset as well rather than dealing with the pressure again.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Let the haters hate. Little brother has had an athletics year that big brother can only dream about.

On a unifying point, its become clear where the center of the college basketball universe is right now and it's not tobacco road. The bluegrass is dominant right now.
    Dream about? Yeah if only we had a Clint Hurtt to buy us a Teddy Bridgewater and a crappy conference to play in that would allow us to back into a BCS game...

It's funny you made your whole sanctimonious "I feel sorry for those UK fans who care about the rivalry" blah blah blah post and then your first post post-championship is about UK. Such a hypocrite.

As to UL, congrats to them. I was rooting against them but they won the game. The missed goaltending at the beginning, the BS 2nd foul on Burke (Hancock 3), and the clean block by Burke were egregious errors in UL's favor and really changed the game. Burke also got hit on a couple 3s that should've been and 1s. UL got away with their usual hack and grab defense. I've gotta give Pitino credit, I thought they would eventually run into a ref crew that would make them play straight up, but it never happened and he rode it all the way to a title.
    Last edited by WMR; 04-09-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I tuned in to watch the NCAA Championship and was given the BCS title game. I thought the refs were abysmal, just awful. They let both teams play like a football game in the first and then started calling some tickey tacky fouls in the 2nd. There was a blatant kick that everyone on the court stopped for except the refs. I didn't actually mind the Burke block call. It was as good of a block as you will see, but often times when two players go at it full speed and one ends up on the ground they call a foul. Not the right call, just an acceptable one to me. I like when teams are able to get at it, but I think it went a little too far last night.

I thought Beilein coached a pretty poor game last night. He had unexpected production from a guy named Spike Albrecht in the 1st half and he should have left it at that. Albrecht morphed into his usual self in the 2nd half. He was loose with the ball, took some poor shots, and took the ball out of Burke and Hardaway's hands at times. I thought he should have went with Stauskas at the 2 like he had during most of the season. His player management when UM needed to foul was questionable at best. When you need to foul you can't have you best two players with 4 fouls on the court. Some precious time ran off the clock when Burke couldn't foul Siva.

All in all it was an entertaining game and the best team won. Hopefully Michigan has an exodus to the NBA now because they could be scary good if everyone returns.
    Yeah leaving Albrecht in that long over Stauskas was really dumb. Spike obviously didn't have it in the 2nd half.

Turn Off Ads?