Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chapman

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but what's the latest?
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Chapman

It's an organizational decision that hasn't been made yet. Contrary to popular belief, his outcome has actually yet to be decided...assuming you believe Dusty, of course.

Hal McCoy claims that Bryan Price leans towards keeping Chapman in the bullpen. Has anyone else read anything that Price has said to that effect? Everything I've seen thus far has Price in favor of Chapman to the rotation.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/bl...m_arizon.html/

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Hal McCoy claims that Bryan Price leans towards keeping Chapman in the bullpen. Has anyone else read anything that Price has said to that effect? Everything I've seen thus far has Price in favor of Chapman to the rotation.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/bl...m_arizon.html/
    Well this sure isn't a reason:

THREE: The Reds were 60-6 in the 66 games in which he pitched. As a starter he probably would make about 30 starts and he isn’t going to go 30-0
    Hal's been around long enough to know better

I have always been in the camp of

"If its not broke don't fix it!"

I truly think that Chapman should stay the closer and then stay with our 5 man rotation. We have some strong arms coming up through the minors and Chapman has been proven to be lethal in the 9th.

But that is just my thoughts on it.

Last I heard was that they were going to ease him into the rotation throughout the month of April (since you really don't need a 5th starter until towards the beginning of May). And then they were going to go from there.

Its the wrong decision in my books, but then again, I don't get paid those big bucks to make those decisions either.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I have always been in the camp of

"If its not broke don't fix it!"

I truly think that Chapman should stay the closer and then stay with our 5 man rotation. We have some strong arms coming up through the minors and Chapman has been proven to be lethal in the 9th.

But that is just my thoughts on it.

Last I heard was that they were going to ease him into the rotation throughout the month of April (since you really don't need a 5th starter until towards the beginning of May). And then they were going to go from there.

Its the wrong decision in my books, but then again, I don't get paid those big bucks to make those decisions either.
    I was just looking at the schedule and the Reds only have two off days in April. The 2nd and 11th of the month. They actually have more off days in May (4) than April. So I don't know how they are going to ease him in unless they divide up the 5th starts between Chapman and Leake.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I think leaving Chapman in the bullpen is a potentially ruinous decision.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I also found it strange that he got impression Price was in favor of Chapman in bullpen. I haven't heard that anywhere else either. I also found it strange he believes Chapman felt the same way. I truly believe Chapman wanting to start is the biggest reason this is happening. I don't see any way Chapman wants his next contract to be based on being a starter than a closer. Just look at Felix contract and Papelbons.

Edit; Just re read it and couldn't find quote where Chapman stated he had gotten comfortable in bullpen already. Did anyone else read it yesterday and catch that? Now it is gone. Weird. I know I read that in this piece.
    Last edited by RadfordVA; 03-12-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Chapman quote

Wouldn't he have to be significantly limited in a starting role though. He pitched 71 innings last year, how much more would you let him pitch this year? There would be no way he start anywhere close to 30 games like Leake did the last two years.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Wouldn't he have to be significantly limited in a starting role though. He pitched 71 innings last year, how much more would you let him pitch this year? There would be no way he start anywhere close to 30 games like Leake did the last two years.
    Chapman threw a career high of 125.2 innings his last season in Cuba playing in their pro league. That would limit him, using the +30 rule that the Reds have stuck with in most cases, to 155 innings. 30 starts at 5 innings each, is 150. If you skip him a few times when you can you may be able to start him the entire year and still throw him in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Chapman threw a career high of 125.2 innings his last season in Cuba playing in their pro league. That would limit him, using the +30 rule that the Reds have stuck with in most cases, to 155 innings. 30 starts at 5 innings each, is 150. If you skip him a few times when you can you may be able to start him the entire year and still throw him in the playoffs.
    He is quite a few years removed from those 125 though. Not sure what the school of thought is on how that figures in. I am reluctant to think that just because you threw 125 4 years ago that you can just add 30 innings to that and dismiss the fact that you have only thrown about half that each year for the last 3 years.

I am not against the move, but there are many things to consider.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I think Walt wins this battle no matter what Dusty does to sabotage it. Chapman is a supreme asset if his value is made out properly. Walt has vision and understands the way an organization maximizes that value long term.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Hal McCoy pulled that completely out of his butt. Bryan Price leans towards leaving Chapman in the bullpen? Is Hal just making things up now? Bryan Price is the leader of the Chapman to the rotation pack. I've read quite a few articles where Price is quoted as saying Chapman has a chance to be an elite starter, and the only way we'll ever know his true potential is by giving him a chance as a starter. Not one of Hal's best articles.

14. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-12-2013),Blitz Dorsey (03-12-2013),Homer Bailey (03-12-2013),Mitri (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Yes it is likely his innings will be limited, but I don't think they will be restricted as harshly as some people believe.

Jeff Samardzija, Chris Sale and Lance Lynn were all successfully transitioned from the bullpen to the starting rotation in 2012. Samardzija threw 174.2 innings. Sale tossed 192 innings. Lynn hurled 176 innings. I expect to see Chapman treated similarly.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Yes it is likely his innings will be limited, but I don't think they will be restricted as harshly as some people believe.

Jeff Samardzija, Chris Sale and Lance Lynn were all successfully transitioned from the bullpen to the starting rotation in 2012. Samardzija threw 174.2 innings. Sale tossed 192 innings. Lynn hurled 176 innings. I expect to see Chapman treated similarly.
    Good point. If Chapman started on average once a week during the season, and averaged six innings a start, that's around 160 innings. Seven innings a week = 180+. Most any MLB pitcher whose arm isn't already hurting ought to be able to average six to seven innings a week without undue risk, regardless of previous usage. But I'll agree that he probably shouldn't be handed the ball every five days from start to finish; they'll need to manage the workload a bit.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?