Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Chapman

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but what's the latest?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman

It's an organizational decision that hasn't been made yet. Contrary to popular belief, his outcome has actually yet to be decided...assuming you believe Dusty, of course.

Hal McCoy claims that Bryan Price leans towards keeping Chapman in the bullpen. Has anyone else read anything that Price has said to that effect? Everything I've seen thus far has Price in favor of Chapman to the rotation.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/bl...m_arizon.html/

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Hal McCoy claims that Bryan Price leans towards keeping Chapman in the bullpen. Has anyone else read anything that Price has said to that effect? Everything I've seen thus far has Price in favor of Chapman to the rotation.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/bl...m_arizon.html/
    Well this sure isn't a reason:

THREE: The Reds were 60-6 in the 66 games in which he pitched. As a starter he probably would make about 30 starts and he isn’t going to go 30-0
    Hal's been around long enough to know better

I have always been in the camp of

"If its not broke don't fix it!"

I truly think that Chapman should stay the closer and then stay with our 5 man rotation. We have some strong arms coming up through the minors and Chapman has been proven to be lethal in the 9th.

But that is just my thoughts on it.

Last I heard was that they were going to ease him into the rotation throughout the month of April (since you really don't need a 5th starter until towards the beginning of May). And then they were going to go from there.

Its the wrong decision in my books, but then again, I don't get paid those big bucks to make those decisions either.

I think leaving Chapman in the bullpen is a potentially ruinous decision.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I also found it strange that he got impression Price was in favor of Chapman in bullpen. I haven't heard that anywhere else either. I also found it strange he believes Chapman felt the same way. I truly believe Chapman wanting to start is the biggest reason this is happening. I don't see any way Chapman wants his next contract to be based on being a starter than a closer. Just look at Felix contract and Papelbons.

Edit; Just re read it and couldn't find quote where Chapman stated he had gotten comfortable in bullpen already. Did anyone else read it yesterday and catch that? Now it is gone. Weird. I know I read that in this piece.
    Last edited by RadfordVA; 03-12-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Chapman quote

Wouldn't he have to be significantly limited in a starting role though. He pitched 71 innings last year, how much more would you let him pitch this year? There would be no way he start anywhere close to 30 games like Leake did the last two years.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

No way Jocketty signs Broxton to a $21-million deal if the Reds weren't "all in" on Chapman moving to the rotation.

The only thing that could have changed things, IMO, is if Chappy would have struggled in ST. So far, he's doing well.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't open the season as a starter (unless Broxton gets hurt or something extreme like that).

Aside from the fact that Chapman might be the next Price/Verlander, I've had just about enough of Mike Leake.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

12. Likes:

jmac (03-12-2013),reds44 (03-12-2013),Slyder (03-21-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013),Tommyjohn25 (03-12-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Aside from the fact that Chapman might be the next Price/Verlander, I've had just about enough of Mike Leake.
    It's still good having him around. Chances are very low we go through the entire season again without one of the starting pitchers getting injured. Plus, Leake could be a nice long-relief guy on the days Chapman pitches if Chapman struggles or doesn't go deep in the game due to racking up a lot of pitches.

I hear you though -- Leake has been a disappointment after his crazy-good start to his career as a rook in 2010. But let's not give up on him yet.

Here is a recent article from Doug Schoenfeld of ESPN about the Chapman issue:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...n-should-start

15. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It's still good having him around. Chances are very low we go through the entire season again without one of the starting pitchers getting injured. Plus, Leake could be a nice long-relief guy on the days Chapman pitches if Chapman struggles or doesn't go deep in the game due to racking up a lot of pitches.

I hear you though -- Leake has been a disappointment after his crazy-good start to his career as a rook in 2010. But let's not give up on him yet.
    No, he's never actually been good. He's got no out pitch, he gives up a ton of hits. I cringe everytime he pitches. Put it this way, I'd rather see Sam LeCure start over Mike Leake. at least LeCure can get a K.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I have always been in the camp of

"If its not broke don't fix it!"

I truly think that Chapman should stay the closer and then stay with our 5 man rotation. We have some strong arms coming up through the minors and Chapman has been proven to be lethal in the 9th.

But that is just my thoughts on it.

Last I heard was that they were going to ease him into the rotation throughout the month of April (since you really don't need a 5th starter until towards the beginning of May). And then they were going to go from there.

Its the wrong decision in my books, but then again, I don't get paid those big bucks to make those decisions either.
    I was just looking at the schedule and the Reds only have two off days in April. The 2nd and 11th of the month. They actually have more off days in May (4) than April. So I don't know how they are going to ease him in unless they divide up the 5th starts between Chapman and Leake.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Honestly, is that just a complete troll job by Mccoy? I think I counted one decent point in his atrocious list of reasons for not moving Chapman to the rotation.

I support Chapman to the rotation, but I'll admit there are arguments against it. What Mccoy vomited on his keyboard is just embarrassing though.

19. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-12-2013),bigredmechanism (03-12-2013),jhu1321 (03-12-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-12-2013),reds44 (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013),Tommyjohn25 (03-12-2013)

Turn Off Ads?