Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Haunted by walks

Re: Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Two weeks of Spring Training to go and we've gotten our first mention of firing Dusty. Right on schedule. Redszone is a well oiled machine!
    Mid-season form. Meanwhile, Dusty says he'd like to coach the USA team someday.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Aside from the merits of the starter vs. bullpen issues, I would hate for the Reds to get all wobbly on this. They need to carry through on the Chapman as a starter and give it a good shot. Two weeks left in ST is *not* a good shot. Otherwise, they look like a weak-willed dithering about bunch of mopes.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Right, a shrewd GM like Jocketty is going to go out and sign Broxton to a 3-year, $21 million contract as "insurance."

Nope. A bad GM might do that. Not Walt Jocketty. It was a crystal-clear sign that the Reds' front office was all-in on Chapman moving to the rotation. If all they wanted was insurance for Chapman, there were much cheaper options out there. No matter what Broxton is making this year, the bottom line is that the Reds owe him an average of $7 million over each of the next three seasons. They obviously made that move with the intentions of making him the closer.
    Except its not insurance. With Chapman in the rotation or Chapman in the pen and Broxton elsewhere, the back end of this pen was an arm short. Marshall and only one of the others and a bunch of question marks isn't enough IMO. If Chapman ends up starting, I hope the Reds find a way to get another late inning arm. I'd be OK with Hoover and Cingrani filling those roles, but both will start in AAA IMO. I think the gap from Chapman, Marshall and Broxton to Lecure, Ondrusek, Arredondo, Simon etc is pretty huge.

I'm for Chapman giving starting a try, but if he does, I'm pessimistic about the late innings of this pen (and not because of Broxton and Marshall). I do think Broxton was brought in to provide a solid closing option to give Chapman every opportunity to start, but they needed a guy anyway.

The shrewd GM knows he's won't have to pay that $21 Million it took to get Broxton signed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

REDREAD (03-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I could see Chapman start the season as a reliever, not the closer, but in the LeCure role, to keep his innings low, and then move to the rotation in May or so.
    Agree. Or sooner, if and when someone pulls up lame or is ineffective.

I hope this is the point in the discussion where we find out that Chapman and Baker both work for Walt Jocketty.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

9. Likes:

RiverRat13 (03-17-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Mid-season form. Meanwhile, Dusty says he'd like to coach the USA team someday.
    I'd much rather see him coaching the All Star game for the next 5 years. *grin*

Stat geek...and proud
    Seems like the writing is on the wall. Chapman will be the closer. I do not approve.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I could see Chapman start the season as a reliever, not the closer, but in the LeCure role, to keep his innings low, and then move to the rotation in May or so.
    If Chapman starts the season as the closer he will not go to the rotation....barring injury.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    If Chapman starts the season as the closer he will not go to the rotation....barring injury.
    How do you know this?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    How do you know this?
    My guess he thinks this way for simple fact they keep flip flop on how to use him and can trust them to do anything regarding him

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    How do you know this?
    Just my opinion on the matter. I unfortunately dont have any inside info. Guess I shoulda stated so originally...lol.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Decision should be made in the next day or so...but all signs are pointing to bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Decision should be made in the next day or so...but all signs are pointing to bullpen.
    Well, if that's their decision, and the Reds make the playoffs again, we can all hope he pitches more than 1 meaningful postseason inning.

Jocketty did not seem too happy with the fact that Chapman spoke up on the issue.

What a frustrating situation.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?