Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Re: Chapman

I absolutly think this is Dusty's tinkering. And I absolutly think Dusty nudged Chapman to come out with this statement at this time to try and force Walt's hand. Just ugh.

Question, can the Reds trade Broxton now, or since he was just signed are there any restrictions on that?
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 03-16-2013 at 10:36 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Once every five games we'd get to see Chapman with high pitch counts by the 5th inning with hitters being much more patient, working the count.

That's instead of what we saw last year where he's an intimidating potential factor, even in the games he doesn't pitch. Not to mention a crowd pleaser.

And given the fact that he's now on record as preferring to close, the risks clearly outweigh the benefits, IMO.

There's a difference between making sure your players are happy, and letting your players dictate their roles on the team. I am sure Sam LeCure wants to be a closer too, doesn't mean he should be it. I'm pretty sure Mesoraco wants to catch everyday, doesn't mean he should.

Unless Chapman says he can't be a starter mentally, his opinion on the matter doesn't mean much.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-17-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-17-2013),Tony Cloninger (03-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    There's a difference between making sure your players are happy, and letting your players dictate their roles on the team. I am sure Sam LeCure wants to be a closer too, doesn't mean he should be it. I'm pretty sure Mesoraco wants to catch everyday, doesn't mean he should.

Unless Chapman says he can't be a starter mentally, his opinion on the matter doesn't mean much.
    Agreed 100%.

The winds have sure shifted on this subject. No longer getting my hopes up honestly. Glad to hear Leake's throwing well...or maybe that's just part of the elaborately brewing Dusty conspiracy.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think the experiment is about to end, but this isn't coming from any inside info or anything. Just speculation on my part.

I am 100% in the Chapman for starter camp, but I feel like Aroldis is the last guy in this roster who would let Dusty or anyone in the org push him into saying anything of this manner. It's time to give Dusty a break and let the conspiracies die for a minute. If you've followed this team closely you should know that Chapman does what he wants and says (through an interpreter) what he feels. If anything it sounds like something his agent or people in his immediate circle (outside the org) would push him into, not Dusty.

It's in this org's best interests to keep Chapman happy - and yeah, it helps that they have the depth and rotation flexibility to allow it - so if he wants to stay in the pen that's how it's going to be. But what I'd love to see, if he does stay there, is for the Reds with to break their current relief pitcher mold and give him an opportunity to log more innings than your average reliever (imagine Scott Sullivan, only lefty and able to shut down a game if needed). Because they have Marshall and Broxton for the back end it's the perfect opportunity to maximize a guy who's too good for one inning but not cut out for 6-8 25 times a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I am 100% in the Chapman for starter camp, but I feel like Aroldis is the last guy in this roster who would let Dusty or anyone in the org push him into saying anything of this manner. It's time to give Dusty a break and let the conspiracies die for a minute. If you've followed this team closely you should know that Chapman does what he wants and says (through an interpreter) what he feels. If anything it sounds like something his agent or people in his immediate circle (outside the org) would push him into, not Dusty.

It's in this org's best interests to keep Chapman happy - and yeah, it helps that they have the depth and rotation flexibility to allow it - so if he wants to stay in the pen that's how it's going to be. But what I'd love to see, if he does stay there, is for the Reds with to break their current relief pitcher mold and give him an opportunity to log more innings than your average reliever (imagine Scott Sullivan, only lefty and able to shut down a game if needed). Because they have Marshall and Broxton for the back end it's the perfect opportunity to maximize a guy who's too good for one inning but not cut out for 6-8 25 times a season.
    In my opinion this could be a firing offense. Dusty has basically been insubordinate this whole spring. He's arrogant and past his time, IMO. I can't wait until he's gone.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    In my opinion this could be a firing offense. Dusty has basically been insubordinate this whole spring. He's arrogant and past his time, IMO. I can't wait until he's gone.
    Insubordinate eh?

Opinions are like....

Everyone has one and everyone else thinks it stinks

When a baseball team (or any business) fires people for have different opinions then you're looking a venture that will likely fail.

Groupthink is the last thing I want myself

I think this conspiracy talk is nutty.

What Chapman said isn't new. He's said in the past that he'd like to stay the closer.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-17-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Senor Votto

I wonder if Dusty has anything to do with that quote?

He would never say he can't do it. He's been deferential to the team's decisions all along.

You want players in roles in which they're comfortable. Chapman is clearly more comfortable in the closer's role. Obviously, it's not ideal -- but he does improve the pen (maybe by a lot), and there has never been a guarantee he'd improve the rotation.

Reminds me of the talk that the Reds should just make Votto play LF so Alonso could place first. You don't manage your star players that way. I'm pretty sure Votto would never have signed long-term in Cincy if they had forced him out to the outfield. Likewise, Chapman is too valuable a resource to go to war with on this matter, IMO.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 03-17-2013 at 10:06 AM.

This is clearly some Jedi Mind trick being used by Dusty or he is sneaking into his room and whispering in his ear while he is asleep.....You want to close.

The analogy about Votto and asking to move him is very good. I still however think all the talk from other people are helping Chapman along in his thinking and yes... Baker has basically been against want management wants from the get go.....but Bob C seems to have his back and this gives Dusty the courage to be this way.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    It seems as though not a single so called "baseball person" likes the move to starter at all
    I think Walt Jocketty is a "baseball person."

I also think Walt Jocketty should have rented a Goodyear blimp that said "CHAPMAN WILL DEFINITELY BE IN THE ROTATION" when he signed Jonathan Broxton to a $21-million contract to be the team's closer.

No way Jocketty makes that move if he wasn't all-in on Chapman being a starter. How many times does this need to be said? Does anyone really believe the Reds would have given that much coin to Broxton if they weren't convinced Chapman was moving to the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I wonder if Dusty has anything to do with that quote?
    Maybe Dusty lost some weight, threw on a Chapman jersey and...

Nah.

Turn Off Ads?