Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Re: Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I think Walt Jocketty is a "baseball person."

I also think Walt Jocketty should have rented a Goodyear blimp that said "CHAPMAN WILL DEFINITELY BE IN THE ROTATION" when he signed Jonathan Broxton to a $21-million contract to be the team's closer.

No way Jocketty makes that move if he wasn't all-in on Chapman being a starter. How many times does this need to be said? Does anyone really believe the Reds would have given that much coin to Broxton if they weren't convinced Chapman was moving to the rotation?
    Meh. Broxton is only making $4 Million in 2013 (less than Sean Marshall and only a little more than Nick Masset). I think the deal was back-loaded so that he could be used as a set-up man if it didn't work-out and then dealt before the big money hits. Probably won't get much back in talent, but I think he's movable. I'd bet the Tigers would love to have him. Next year maybe the Yankees too.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He would never say he can't do it. He's been deferential to the team's decisions all along.

You want players in roles in which they're comfortable. Chapman is clearly more comfortable in the closer's role. Obviously, it's not ideal -- but he does improve the pen (maybe by a lot), and there has never been a guarantee he'd improve the rotation.

Reminds me of the talk that the Reds should just make Votto play LF so Alonso could place first. You don't manage your star players that way. I'm pretty sure Votto would never have signed long-term in Cincy if they had forced him out to the outfield. Likewise, Chapman is too valuable a resource to go to war with on this matter, IMO.
    Big difference between this situation and Votto's left field situation is that Chapman agreed to move to the rotation. If it really was a big deal, Chapman would have refused to leave the closers role when asked. I really don't think this is a big deal for him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Insubordinate eh?

Opinions are like....

Everyone has one and everyone else thinks it stinks

When a baseball team (or any business) fires people for have different opinions then you're looking a venture that will likely fail.

Groupthink is the last thing I want myself
    Sure, differing opinions are great behind closed doors. But while I wouldn't go so far as saying Dusty is insubordinate, I don't think it is the best thing in the world to have your manager campaigning (either directly or through inference) against your general manger's plans.

5. Likes:

TOBTTReds (03-17-2013)

It just seems like every chance he gets Dusty goes against stats guys. It's just so frustrating to watch.

Hell, if Cozart was as fast as Stubbs I bet he would still be leading off over Choo.

With the team the Reds have what I wouldn't give for a progressive manager.

Plus, with the 21 million they gave Broxton and the 15 million they gave Ludwick just think if Walt knew this going into the offseason. That's 36 million you could've allocated to potentially sign Choo longterm.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 03-17-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Meh. Broxton is only making $4 Million in 2013 (less than Sean Marshall and only a little more than Nick Masset). I think the deal was back-loaded so that he could be used as a set-up man if it didn't work-out and then dealt before the big money hits. Probably won't get much back in talent, but I think he's movable. I'd bet the Tigers would love to have him. Next year maybe the Yankees too.
    Right, a shrewd GM like Jocketty is going to go out and sign Broxton to a 3-year, $21 million contract as "insurance."

Nope. A bad GM might do that. Not Walt Jocketty. It was a crystal-clear sign that the Reds' front office was all-in on Chapman moving to the rotation. If all they wanted was insurance for Chapman, there were much cheaper options out there. No matter what Broxton is making this year, the bottom line is that the Reds owe him an average of $7 million over each of the next three seasons. They obviously made that move with the intentions of making him the closer.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Insubordinate eh?

Opinions are like....

Everyone has one and everyone else thinks it stinks

When a baseball team (or any business) fires people for have different opinions then you're looking a venture that will likely fail.

Groupthink is the last thing I want myself
    The quotes I read today reek of a complete power play. Dusty wants to hear from Chapman about him wanting to close? He is playing his buddies in Hal and John Fay like a fiddle. I just hope Walt gets the final call and this doesn't become a power struggle. I would hate for the Reds to lose Jocketty as a general manager because of Dusty Baker.

Dusty has been manipulating and sabotaging this from the beginning of camp, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

9. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-18-2013),remdog (03-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The quotes I read today reek of a complete power play. Dusty wants to hear from Chapman about him wanting to close? He is playing his buddies in Hal and John Fay like a fiddle. I just hope Walt gets the final call and this doesn't become a power struggle. I would hate for the Reds to lose Jocketty as a general manager because of Dusty Baker.

Dusty has been manipulating and sabotaging this from the beginning of camp, IMO.
    I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain Castellini has given Jocketty full autonomy on all baseball decisions, e.g. the hiring, firing and retaining of managers. Therefore, if Dusty gets into a "power struggle" with Jocketty, that won't end well for Dusty. Jocketty is the boss.

In some cases, the manager might actually have more power within the organization than the GM. But that's not the case with the Reds, IMO. I get the feeling Jocketty has never been 100 percent sold on Dusty (he inherited him) but never had enough reason to let him go. I think he believes Dusty is a good manager, but not a great one. Bottom line: Jocketty won't think twice about letting Dusty go if a "power struggle" arises. Although, I don't think it will come to that. I think eventually Jocketty will tell Dusty "You're using Chapman in the rotation and you're using Broxton as the closer. Quit telling the media anything other than that. We don't need the rampant speculation."

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

This?

Reds manager Dusty Baker was glad Chapman spoke up.

"I was going to talk to him after he pitched today for the purpose," Baker said. "You hear all kinds of stuff - from his camp, people talking, everyone thinks they're in the know. We were going to do what's best for the organization and for him, but it makes it a lot easier when you get the person's blessing."

Sinister....

Once Chapman figures out he can make a LOT more money as a starter he might change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Once Chapman figures out he can make a LOT more money as a starter he might change his mind.
    "Aroldis, se gusta mucho dinero?"

(See, even I know the important phrases in Spanish. I could communicate with MLB players from Latin America no problem. Vamos a la playa!)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Nice find OBM.

I have heard others say that Chapman could run faster than Drew Stubbs, but here Brandon said he thinks Chapman is faster than Billy Hamilton. Wow!
    Shhhhhhhh!! Don't let Dusty hear that kind of talk. Chapman will be in CF batting lead off!

Haunted by walks

Reporters keep asking Chapman and Dusty, they keep answering politely, and we keep reading into it.

It's actually a pretty good problem to have.

Two weeks of Spring Training to go and we've gotten our first mention of firing Dusty. Right on schedule. Redszone is a well oiled machine!

My own speculation has always been that much of the team attitude on the issue is also related to the well-liked Leake being pushed out of a job.

I could see Chapman start the season as a reliever, not the closer, but in the LeCure role, to keep his innings low, and then move to the rotation in May or so.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?