Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Re: Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Jocketty did not seem too happy with the fact that Chapman spoke up on the issue.
    Where is the reference for this? I don't doubt it, but I never saw it written anywhere.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Just my opinion on the matter. I unfortunately dont have any inside info. Guess I shoulda stated so originally...lol.
    Yes, you should have. Not a big deal -- it's just that sometimes there are insiders on this board who actually DO know something about what is going on. Better to state something is your opinion if it is that.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Can someone please explain the mountain that Chapman created by what he said? Player says he's comfortable with closing, makes sense since that is what he most recently excelled at, while starting is now a bit of a risk. I guess he could have given the "I'm proud, happy and thrilled" response to the reporters and made everyone's tummies less fluttery, but geesh, what a molehill of a comment. I guess in an offseason void of a lot of drama, some needs to be created.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

5. Likes:

mth123 (03-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Decision should be made in the next day or so...but all signs are pointing to bullpen.
    IIRC, he was always going to start the season in the pen, in order to limit his innings, and then move into the rotation around May-June.

What will be interesting is if he is named the closer. If that happens, I don't see him starting at all this season, if ever.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    IIRC, he was always going to start the season in the pen, in order to limit his innings, and then move into the rotation around May-June.

What will be interesting is if he is named the closer. If that happens, I don't see him starting at all this season, if ever.
    I can't imagine Walt Jocketty would let Dusty overrule him on a question of such high strategic (and financial) importance to the ball club. We'll see what happens.

I'd rather trade him than send him back to the pen. He has enough off nights where nothing is going over the plate that he isn't that much more effective, getting three outs, not necessarily in spectacular fashion, than Weathers or Cordero.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    I'd rather trade him than send him back to the pen. He has enough off nights where nothing is going over the plate that he isn't that much more effective, getting three outs, not necessarily in spectacular fashion, than Weathers or Cordero.
    HUH???Really, he was 1 of the 2 most dominate closers last year. He had the small stretch midseason where he struggled, but nothing that I would compare him to those 2 guys. I just dont see that one...sorry.

HUH???Really, he was 1 of the 2 most dominate closers last year. He had the small stretch midseason where he struggled, but nothing that I would compare him to those 2 guys. I just dont see that one...sorry.
    Might be a bit rash to trade him, but I see where the poster is coming from. Chapman's value in a trade might actually be higher at this point than what he gives as a closer. Worth thinking about anyway. If he's not a starter, I will be very frustrated with the Reds FO -- and concerned that Dusty still has as much sway as he had during the Taveras debacle a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    If Aroldis has a career like Coco Cordero he'll be just fine. Coco was one of the all time saves leaders in MLB, an All Star, and was one of the highest paid closers in baseball history.

Weathers is not a good comp, he only saved more than 15 games once. He was mostly a set up man in his career.

Trade Chapman rather than have him relieve? I think some of the anti-closer hype is getting to people.

Whatever the overall percentages are, in the big games late in the season, in the playoffs, having a top flight bullpen is a big deal. Or maybe the Nasty Boys weren't that important in 1990? Instead of Charlton, Dibble, and Myers, could the Reds have won with, say, Ondrusek, Simon, and Parra finishing all those games?

You have to keep the overall numbers in perspective. Yes, the Reds would win most of their games with a late lead with a lesser closer.

But we're talking here about success in the limelight, in the biggest games, against top competition. Do you really think Broxton is likely to be the better choice than Chapman if the Reds are three outs from finally winning a playoff series?

To me, I think this is up to the professionals. If they think Chapman is likely to be an All Star starting pitcher, based on his stuff and command in longer stints, then fine, let him start. If they have doubts, then let him close where he has proven to be successful.

The trade suggestion? Not for me, I want him on the Reds, in whatever role.

12. Likes:

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Might be a bit rash to trade him, but I see where the poster is coming from. Chapman's value in a trade might actually be higher at this point than what he gives as a closer. Worth thinking about anyway. If he's not a starter, I will be very frustrated with the Reds FO -- and concerned that Dusty still has as much sway as he had during the Taveras debacle a few years ago.
    I get the trade part and what you're saying about his value, I just don't agree with the part he was marginally better than Cordero and Weathers. Heck, he had 1 of the all-time great years for a closer in my opinion.

I get the trade part and what you're saying about his value, I just don't agree with the part he was marginally better than Cordero and Weathers. Heck, he had 1 of the all-time great years for a closer in my opinion.
    Yes, I agree. He and Kimbrel put up two of the best closer seasons statistically. It's just that Chapman has so much greater potential value that I feel the Reds are wasting if they leave him as an unexplored option in the pen. It is just unbelievably shortsighted and frustrating -- and so much so, that I think they'd be closer to getting SOME part of that value if they traded him. I'm sure other teams see it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

I recall Walt saying last May or June how difficult it was for a pitcher to make the switch from the pen to the rotation mid-season. If Chapman starts in the pen, I'm guessing he stays in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Aroldis has a career like Coco Cordero he'll be just fine. Coco was one of the all time saves leaders in MLB, an All Star, and was one of the highest paid closers in baseball history.
    The Reds are crazy to stop at "just fine" with a talent like Chapman. That's the frustrating part.

I don't know whether how much Cordero made is relevant, especially considering how much the "closer" position is overvalued anyway. Most people thought that was a nutty contract at the time it was signed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yes, I agree. He and Kimbrel put up two of the best closer seasons statistically. It's just that Chapman has so much greater potential value that I feel the Reds are wasting if they leave him as an unexplored option in the pen. It is just unbelievably shortsighted and frustrating -- and so much so, that I think they'd be closer to getting SOME part of that value if they traded him. I'm sure other teams see it as well.
    LOL, short sighted?

The Reds team hasn't been a serious World Series contender for over twenty years. Recently, as a Central Champs, the team suffered two embarrassing meltdowns in the playoffs and didn't get past the first round.

I don't think it's short sighted if I don't want to watch Aroldis "develop" into a starter over the next three years and then hope it works. I don't think it's short sighted that I don't want him on a pitch count, or being pulled like Strasburg this year. I'm ready to win now.

In 1990 I watched a great bullpen take the Reds to their last World Championship. Everyone remembers that team for it's great bullpen. I have no problem if the Reds decide that having another great bullpen is the best way to win, especially with Cueto, Bailey, and Latos already in the rotation.

I am open to either decision, but I really resent the suggestion around here that keeping Aroldis in the pen is a "frustrating" or stupid idea. I can make numerous arguments that it's the smartest move.

18. Likes:

jimbo (03-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    LOL, short sighted?

The Reds team hasn't been a serious World Series contender for over twenty years. Recently, as a Central Champs, the team suffered two embarrassing meltdowns in the playoffs and didn't get past the first round.

I don't think it's short sighted if I don't want to watch Aroldis "develop" into a starter over the next three years and then hope it works. I don't think it's short sighted that I don't want him on a pitch count, or being pulled like Strasburg this year.

In 1990 I watched a great bullpen take the Reds to their last World Championship. Everyone remembers that team for it's great bullpen. I have no problem if the Reds decide that having another great bullpen is the best way to win, especially with Cueto, Bailey, and Latos already in the rotation.

I am open to either decision, but I really resent the suggestion around here that keeping Aroldis in the pen is a "frustrating" or stupid idea. I can make numerous arguments that it's the smartest move.
    The problem with relying on a great bullpen is that you need to be tied or ahead late in the game for it to matter. During the Reds 'meltdown' last year Aroldis was a relative non factor - pitching 1 high leverage inning the entire series.

Too bad Chapman couldn't have pitched multiple innings in game 3, or when outcome was in doubt in game 4 or 5.

Turn Off Ads?