Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Wouldn't he have to be significantly limited in a starting role though. He pitched 71 innings last year, how much more would you let him pitch this year? There would be no way he start anywhere close to 30 games like Leake did the last two years.
    Chapman threw a career high of 125.2 innings his last season in Cuba playing in their pro league. That would limit him, using the +30 rule that the Reds have stuck with in most cases, to 155 innings. 30 starts at 5 innings each, is 150. If you skip him a few times when you can you may be able to start him the entire year and still throw him in the playoffs.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No, he's never actually been good. He's got no out pitch, he gives up a ton of hits. I cringe everytime he pitches. Put it this way, I'd rather see Sam LeCure start over Mike Leake. at least LeCure can get a K.
    Oh, OK, that settles it then. I'm sure Bryan Price will take your advice.

#nope

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Aside from the fact that Chapman might be the next Price/Verlander, I've had just about enough of Mike Leake.
    Mike Leake is pretty much exactly what was expected of him when he was drafted: a major league level pitcher but wasn't going to improve much. Something tells me he's going to make an outstanding pitching coach one day, though.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Chapman threw a career high of 125.2 innings his last season in Cuba playing in their pro league. That would limit him, using the +30 rule that the Reds have stuck with in most cases, to 155 innings. 30 starts at 5 innings each, is 150. If you skip him a few times when you can you may be able to start him the entire year and still throw him in the playoffs.
    He is quite a few years removed from those 125 though. Not sure what the school of thought is on how that figures in. I am reluctant to think that just because you threw 125 4 years ago that you can just add 30 innings to that and dismiss the fact that you have only thrown about half that each year for the last 3 years.

I am not against the move, but there are many things to consider.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I think Walt wins this battle no matter what Dusty does to sabotage it. Chapman is a supreme asset if his value is made out properly. Walt has vision and understands the way an organization maximizes that value long term.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Wouldn't he have to be significantly limited in a starting role though. He pitched 71 innings last year, how much more would you let him pitch this year? There would be no way he start anywhere close to 30 games like Leake did the last two years.
    Yes it is likely his innings will be limited, but I don't think they will be restricted as harshly as some people believe.

Jeff Samardzija, Chris Sale and Lance Lynn were all successfully transitioned from the bullpen to the starting rotation in 2012. Samardzija threw 174.2 innings. Sale tossed 192 innings. Lynn hurled 176 innings. I expect to see Chapman treated similarly.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Yes it is likely his innings will be limited, but I don't think they will be restricted as harshly as some people believe.

Jeff Samardzija, Chris Sale and Lance Lynn were all successfully transitioned from the bullpen to the starting rotation in 2012. Samardzija threw 174.2 innings. Sale tossed 192 innings. Lynn hurled 176 innings. I expect to see Chapman treated similarly.
    Good point. If Chapman started on average once a week during the season, and averaged six innings a start, that's around 160 innings. Seven innings a week = 180+. Most any MLB pitcher whose arm isn't already hurting ought to be able to average six to seven innings a week without undue risk, regardless of previous usage. But I'll agree that he probably shouldn't be handed the ball every five days from start to finish; they'll need to manage the workload a bit.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I used to defend Hal and his opinions, but man, he's gone wacko. If you get the Sunday DDN, he spent over half of his "Ask Hal" article defending the keep-Chapman-in-the-bullpen belief.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Good point. If Chapman started on average once a week during the season, and averaged six innings a start, that's around 160 innings. Seven innings a week = 180+. Most any MLB pitcher whose arm isn't already hurting ought to be able to average six to seven innings a week without undue risk, regardless of previous usage. But I'll agree that he probably shouldn't be handed the ball every five days from start to finish; they'll need to manage the workload a bit.
    And the good thing is you don't have to plan out his itinerary in advance and carve it in stone before the season starts. Bryan Price will be able to monitor Chapman's status on a daily basis and make adjustments to his workload as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

While those guys all did those things, the fact is we still don't know how that is going to effect them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24
    He is quite a few years removed from those 125 though. Not sure what the school of thought is on how that figures in. I am reluctant to think that just because you threw 125 4 years ago that you can just add 30 innings to that and dismiss the fact that you have only thrown about half that each year for the last 3 years.

I am not against the move, but there are many things to consider.
    I don't think that the time difference matters much when it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I used to defend Hal and his opinions, but man, he's gone wacko. If you get the Sunday DDN, he spent over half of his "Ask Hal" article defending the keep-Chapman-in-the-bullpen belief.
    Hal had this gem that makes my want to gouge my eyes out.

"The Reds were 60-6 in the 66 games in which he pitched. As a starter he probably would make about 30 starts and he isn’t going to go 30-0."

Yes, this was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yes, this was mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Well then.... anyone seen my glasses? (I don't actually have glasses)

Whoops.

Well then.... anyone seen my glasses? (I don't actually have glasses)

Whoops.
    If this is some sort of joke at Hal's expense, it's not funny.

(Kidding, I know you weren't going there.)

It seems like we shouldn't have to explain to a Hall of Famer that the closer only comes into the game when the team is already ahead and about to win the game anyway...

Turn Off Ads?