Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Re: Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If the FO believes that the best route for Chapman is in the pen, they put him there, he thrives and the Reds win it all, we would say that it wasn't a smart decision?
    If the Reds won the WS last year with Drew Stubbs batting leadoff, would we all say it wasn't a smart decision?

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-21-2013), Cursh14 (03-20-2013), The Operator (03-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If the Reds won the WS last year with Drew Stubbs batting leadoff, would we all say it wasn't a smart decision?
    Much different situation.

If the FO believes that the best route for Chapman is in the pen, they put him there, he thrives and the Reds win it all, we would say that it wasn't a smart decision?
    I could study the wrong chapter for a quiz in a class and still do well on it. That doesn't make my choice smart -- or a wise use of my resources.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I could study the wrong chapter for a quiz in a class and still do well on it. That doesn't make my choice smart -- or a wise use of my resources.
    Yeah, but if its your final exam, and you ace it, you won't think twice about it ever again. World Series are not quizzes, they're finals.

Another off the mark comparison. The FO making a decision to keep Chapman in the pen is pretty far away from studying the wrong chapter. I think the real problem is that the ones claiming that the FO is studying the wrong chapter also believe that they have the test answers in advance.

8. Likes:

jimbo (03-21-2013), mth123 (03-21-2013)

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

If chapman becomes the most dominant relief pitcher in major league history I will be fine with the move.

10. Likes:

Puffy (03-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    If chapman becomes the most dominant relief pitcher in major league history I will be fine with the move.
    But what if we miss out on the next Nolan "The Big Unit" Verlander?

Much different situation.
    OK, how about if they hit Joey Votto leadoff?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    OK, how about if they hit Joey Votto leadoff?
    I would say that it worked out just fine.

This is sort of missing the point. Yes, we all are seeking a "Red October." But using the resources of the team correctly is a different matter. We can root for the team to win, but we can also root for them to make smart decisions. The two are often connected -- but not always.
    If the Reds win the World Series with Chapman as the closer, then the decision to make him a closer was a smart enough decision. No team will always make the smartest decision, but we really just don't want them to make any dumb decisions, ones that keep them out if the playoffs.

I'm 100% behind making Chapman a starter this season, but making him the closer is by no means a dumb decision, it's just not the smartest, imo. The team could very likely win multiple World Sereis with Chapman as the closer. I just think the odds of them doing that are better if he's a starter.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Here's my take after reading everyone's complaints on the matter. Keeping Aroldis Chapman as a closer, if even just for 2013, is NOT a bad idea for the REDS. However, it's not as good for Aroldis as it is for the rest of the team. We can all agree that if he's made a SP that he can regress quite a bit and still be more valuable than an elite CP. I believe the Reds will be better in 2013 with him as a CP than as a SP. I also believe that if the Reds don't make strides in the playoffs (at LEAST make it to NLCS) we'll be having this same exact conversation next year.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the Reds win the World Series with Chapman as the closer, then the decision to make him a closer was a smart enough decision. No team will always make the smartest decision, but we really just don't want them to make any dumb decisions, ones that keep them out if the playoffs.
    I want both. I want them to win the World Series AND make the smartest decisions possible. I don't see why we have to sacrifice one for the other. I also think making the smartest decisions is more likely to lead to a championship.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Another off the mark comparison. The FO making a decision to keep Chapman in the pen is pretty far away from studying the wrong chapter. I think the real problem is that the ones claiming that the FO is studying the wrong chapter also believe that they have the test answers in advance.
    Well, yes, my analogy has limitations. I asked for that. But there is no pretension here of knowing the answers in advance. I guess it's more like having Chapman as a starter ensures I've got my best "test face" on for a larger portion of the time. That's not a guarantee that I'll ace the test, but it makes it more likely than just having it in small spurts here and there.

But what if we miss out on the next Nolan "The Big Unit" Verlander?
    Exactly.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This team will win despite Dusty. I think he holds this team back more than he helps it.

Too much talent including the best Reds starting pitching rotation ever.

It simply remains to be seen will he blow it for the Reds like he did against San Fran last year in the playoffs when he failed to force Bochy's hand.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?