Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Re: Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    This team will win despite Dusty. I think he holds this team back more than he helps it.

Too much talent including the best Reds starting pitching rotation ever.

It simply remains to be seen will he blow it for the Reds like he did against San Fran last year in the playoffs when he failed to force Bochy's hand.
    Wow.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

2. Turn Off Ads?

This team will win despite Dusty. I think he holds this team back more than he helps it.

It simply remains to be seen will he blow it for the Reds like he did against San Fran last year in the playoffs when he failed to force Bochy's hand.
    I dunno. Doesn't most of the current research suggest that managers really don't affect a team's chances that much one way or the other during a game? We might tire of some of Dusty's decisions, but in the end his main job is to manage a bunch of personalities effectively.

That said, I would maintain that long-term decisions like what position a guy plays during his career DO have major effects on team performance over time. That's where I get scared having Dusty participate too much. And that's where the "we don't care what Chapman does as long as the Reds win" and the "Chapman should be a starter this year" positions pass in the night.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Circa October, 1973, sort of like Captain Hook and the boys couldn't win the big one despite being The Big Red Machine? Do you mean like that?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Doc just wrote that the Reds are expected to announce Chapman as the closer later today. So there you have it.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Does anyone have any idea when they are going to announce something on him?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Does anyone have any idea when they are going to announce something on him?
    Later today. He's going to be the closer.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Doc just wrote that the Reds are expected to announce Chapman as the closer later today. So there you have it.

This is rather disappointing, I really wanted to see what he could do as a starter. The positive side to this is we now have one of the most dominant bullpens in all of baseball and we still have a lot of SP depth. Leake has looked good this spring and Cingani and Corcino should both be ready to step in if needed this year. I must admit I probably will be tuning into most reds games around the 8th inning to get ready to see if Chapman can hit 105!!!

I just got an update on my phone saying he will remain the closer

This decision just baffles me. Whether or not you ever agreed with the decision, why would you announce he is going to be a starter, twice now, let him succeed somewhat in spring training and then never let him actually start. Either its a plan or it isn't. It seems to me with this decision and the handling of Mesaraco that the reds are struggling with the win now/make ourselves better model. Maybe I'm wrong I just don't see what sense this makes.

11. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-21-2013), dougdirt (03-21-2013), RedEye (03-21-2013), redsfandan (03-21-2013)

I'm shocked Walt let this happen.

13. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-21-2013), dougdirt (03-21-2013), Nasty_Boy (03-21-2013), OnBaseMachine (03-21-2013)

Or Frazier. Hard to argue with the Reds' success in developing players over the last half decade, but there are certain guys that are getting jerked around to a ridiculous extent:

Chapman, Frazier, Alonso, Mesoraco.

Crazy that these guys were all at one time or another THE top prospect in the organization, and the Reds just couldn't decide what to do with them. I'm disappointed that Chapman won't be starting (and we're now paying our two setup men over $10MM/year for the next three years) but I guess I'll just defer to the regime. I hope this was Walt's decision and not Dusty's...
    Go BLUE!!!

I can't stand Dusty Baker. God, I wish he never came to this city

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I can't stand Dusty Baker. God, I wish he never came to this city
    Seriously this kind of comment isn't appreciated.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

17. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-22-2013), paintmered (03-24-2013), Scrap Irony (03-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    This decision just baffles me. Whether or not you ever agreed with the decision, why would you announce he is going to be a starter, twice now, let him succeed somewhat in spring training and then never let him actually start. Either its a plan or it isn't. It seems to me with this decision and the handling of Mesaraco that the reds are struggling with the win now/make ourselves better model. Maybe I'm wrong I just don't see what sense this makes.
    The guy likes and is more comfortable in the closers role. Its as simple as that yet people are never going to let it go

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

What a waste of talent.

If the Reds aren't going to make Chapman a starter, they need to maximize his value and trade him right now to a team that sees him in the rotation.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

20. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-21-2013), OnBaseMachine (03-21-2013), redsfandan (03-21-2013)

Turn Off Ads?