Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Re: Chapman

Hal McCoy pulled that completely out of his butt. Bryan Price leans towards leaving Chapman in the bullpen? Is Hal just making things up now? Bryan Price is the leader of the Chapman to the rotation pack. I've read quite a few articles where Price is quoted as saying Chapman has a chance to be an elite starter, and the only way we'll ever know his true potential is by giving him a chance as a starter. Not one of Hal's best articles.

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-12-2013),Blitz Dorsey (03-12-2013),Homer Bailey (03-12-2013),Mitri (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Hal McCoy pulled that completely out of his butt. Bryan Price leans towards leaving Chapman in the bullpen? Is Hal just making things up now? Bryan Price is the leader of the Chapman to the rotation pack. I've read quite a few articles where Price is quoted as saying Chapman has a chance to be an elite starter, and the only way we'll ever know his true potential is by giving him a chance as a starter. Not one of Hal's best articles.
    You know who else is one of the leaders of said pack? Walt Jocketty. As I mentioned earlier, there is no freakin' way a shrewd GM like Mr. Jocketty would sign Jonathan Broxton to a 3-year, $21 million deal if he wasn't convinced Chapman was moving to the rotation.

It was 100 percent obvious to me when Broxton was re-signed that the Reds were all-in on Chappy to the rotation.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...?new_post=true

A rival scout on Aroldis Chapman

“I hope they do start him, but they’re crazy if they do,” said the scout, who works for another National League club. “It’s Joba Chamberlain all over again.

“His velocity dropped off in the second inning. He couldn’t get his off-speed stuff over the plate consistently. No question in my mind, he’s the closer.”
    Personally, I will admit that I am flat out shocked that on March 11th that a pitcher isn't throwing at top velocity and may have some struggles locating his offspeed stuff. SHOCKED.

6. Likes:

Ga_Red (03-12-2013),OGB (03-12-2013),remdog (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Personally, I will admit that I am flat out shocked that on March 11th that a pitcher isn't throwing at top velocity and may have some struggles locating his offspeed stuff. SHOCKED.
    That was my thought too, Doug. If this is the last week of spring, then we have a problem. Almost a month before games start? He's just getting his work in.

Plus, why only quote one scout? Do all scouts feel this way?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I love when people bring up Chamberlain and Bard. I just say "Chris Sale."

Also, there was talk that Randy Johnson should be a reliever early in his career. Nope.

Furthermore, I missed it when Joba Chamberlain was ever as good as Aroldis Chapman as a closer. Totally missed that. Comparing Chamberlain to Chapman is foolish because Chamberlain just never was as good of a pitcher as Chapman.

I remember when scouts used to say Johnny Cueto should be shifted to the bullpen, because he didn't have what it takes to be a starter. Good times. Now he's one of the best starting pitchers in the game.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Daniel Bard is the ultimate terrible comp.

Here is what Daniel Bard did as a minor leaguer as a starter: 22 starts, 75 innings, 7.08 ERA, 78 walks and 47 strikeouts. Yes, 78 walks in 75 innings. The fact that he struggled as a starter in the Majors should be a surprise to no one.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-15-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

Also, there was talk that Randy Johnson should be a reliever early in his career. Nope.

Furthermore, I missed it when Joba Chamberlain was ever as good as Aroldis Chapman as a closer. Totally missed that. Comparing Chamberlain to Chapman is foolish because Chamberlain just never was as good of a pitcher as Chapman.
    This...plus how will we ever know if he can start if we don't try it. I've been kinda so-so on bringing him to the rotation, but I am highly interested in seeing what he can do there. I know it's not as easy as, if he fails as a starter put him back in the pen, but I think that is easier than mid-season going the other way. I love how people bring up all these examples of players who failed but fail to bring up those who succeed. To me his Value is MUCH MUCH higher as a starter than as a closer, but then again...I'm just a nobody...LOL!!!

"Rival Scout" has to be my favorite baseball-writer muse, nudging out "Mystery Team" and "Major-league Source".

14. Likes:

BoxingRed (03-12-2013),HeatherC1212 (03-12-2013),Revering4Blue (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013),traderumor (03-12-2013)

Yeah for sure. It is spring training after all.

Also, Chapman even as a closer often took several pitches before reaching his max velocity. He would get faster as the 9th inning wore on.

Chapman's average fastball was "only" 98.35mph last year, not the 100-102 that Hal McCoy claimed in his article. So let's not be surprised if Chapman doesn't average 100mph as a starter and blame it on the decision to move him to the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    "Rival Scout" has to be my favorite baseball-writer muse, nudging out "Mystery Team" and "Major-league Source".
    "Rival Scout" was seen placing this call with wrist bands on ad a toothpick in his mouth.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-15-2013),dougdirt (03-12-2013),Revering4Blue (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    "Rival Scout" was seen placing this call with wrist bands on ad a toothpick in his mouth.
    I like your style.

I noticed in the Rosenthal article that he cited Hal's article that Price wants Chapman to close. So we go from Hal claiming Price "leans" towards keeping Chapman as closer (without any attribution that any of us can find) to Rosenthal omitting the "leans" altogether. Sports Journalism at its finest!

In Price I trust.

He's obviously not going to be able to throw 200+ innings this year. So start him as a starter and as he approaches his inning wall move him to the bullpen. Or does that just make too much sense for everyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?