Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reds & and the new DH debate

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: The Reds & and the new DH debate

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    More boring than watching Harang come to bat with bases loaded and two outs?
    Yes.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    What do American League managers even do?
    Francona: "Nothing. I change my chaw every once in awhile. For all I know, guys could be in the clubhouse eating fried chicken and drinking beer."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Designated runner is in use in youth sports. Now that is ludicrous.
    What is the reasoning there? Are some kids too out of shape to run the bases or is it to just get more an opportunity to play?

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Pitchers don't get as much opportunity to work on their hitting at the pro level. Their prep time is spent working on mechanics, fielding, and preparing their arm for their next turn.
    Why should they work on their hitting when they don't have to hit? Heck, even in the National League it is only starting pitchers who have to bat, and even then it is only once or twice per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    What is the reasoning there, are some kids too out of shape to run the bases or is it to just get more an opportunity to play?
    I've seen it in the Little League World Series play, so I'm not sure what the logic is. It might be increased participation, but it is so much silliness and unfair to the designated runner.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, I live in Mariner country I know boring well
    Anyone who'd rather watch Aaron Harang hit than Joe Mauer is probably overdosing on hyperbole.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Anyone who'd rather watch Aaron Harang hit than Joe Mauer is probably overdosing on hyperbole.
    I think that is a false dichotomy. The pitcher hitting results in a different set of strategies and outcomes in a game. I know when I manage DH rules in Strat, there isn't much to do except roll the dice. Play pitcher hitting rules and there are strategies in play from the outset.

9. Likes:

M2 (03-20-2013),westofyou (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Why should they work on their hitting when they don't have to hit? Heck, even in the National League it is only starting pitchers who have to bat, and even then it is only once or twice per game.
    Even in the old days, did they practice that much instead of working on pitching? MLB pitchers have never been good hitters as a whole, even before the DH.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Good gosh I hope we never see the DH in the NL. I don't mind it in an the AL, but it needs to stay in that league. I actually enjoy watching a pitcher try to help himself at the plate.

12. Likes:

Tommyjohn25 (03-12-2013)

Who would you rather watch play defense in 2013: Derek Jeter or Paul Janish? Institute the Designated Fielder and you get Jeter's bat in the lineup at SS, but the glove of Janish.

I like that baseball is such a weird game. I'd be a lot more interested in football if the left tackle had to take three snaps at quarterback per game. A pitcher's Babe Ruth home run trot after he finally gets a hold of one is my favorite moment in sports.

14. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-13-2013)

I think that is a false dichotomy. The pitcher hitting results in a different set of strategies and outcomes in a game. I know when I manage DH rules in Strat, there isn't much to do except roll the dice. Play pitcher hitting rules and there are strategies in play from the outset.
    Agreed. Using the DH takes most of the strategy and intrigue out of the game. It becomes a much more brain-dead and less interesting game. There is a lot more to a baseball game than throwing and swinging. Playing with the DH dumbs down the sport.

It is kind of like the difference between checkers and chess.
    It is kind of like the difference between gambling on slot machines and blackjack.

16. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-13-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-12-2013)

Even in the old days, did they practice that much instead of working on pitching? MLB pitchers have never been good hitters as a whole, even before the DH.
    I don't think its always just practice, but sometimes a guy can be a good pitcher and awful hitter. Two totally different skillsets.

I don't think its always just practice, but sometimes a guy can be a good pitcher and awful hitter. Two totally different skillsets.
    Oh, I agree....but it just seemed to me that others were arguing that pitchers stopped being good hitters once the DH came around. I don't think as a general rule they were every good hitters as a whole. Sure, Babe Ruth started as a pitcher, but there are always exceptions to rules.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Aaron Harang is probably going to attempt a bunt until he has 2 strikes unless the bases are loaded or he is in a 2 out situation. In those exceptions, Aaron Harang is going to wildly flail and almost certainly fail.

There really isn't the fertile strategic majesty that many seem to be suggesting.
    Last edited by jojo; 03-12-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Agreed. Pitchers have never been as good as hitting as other position players, but the dichotomy has grown extreme.

I would rather see more good hitting pitchers like Mike Leake, Stephen Strasburg or Dontrelle Willis and fewer fat, lazy non-athletes like Bartolo Colon or Aaron Harang.

Turn Off Ads?