Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    This thread cracks me up, it started about Greinke's elbow, morphed into a critique on Junior's physique, turned left into the Baseball players aren't necessarily good analysts because they played baseball, and in fact it's amazing they can string together a thought that might interest someone who knows the game.

I fully expect to cover some Pete Rose, Larkin to the Mets and Carl Lindner Satan's doppelganger in the future days.

Godspeed
    I am just glad we haven't seen the Pete Rose underwear ad to critique his physique and training regimen.

2. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (03-14-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (03-14-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Is this the Nick Esasky vertigo thread?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I am just glad we haven't seen the Pete Rose underwear ad to critique his physique and training regimen.

It's quite obvious that Pete subscribed to the high carb diet recommended by the USDA accompanied by minimal weight training.

However, he was way ahead of the curve on sight training and hand eye coordination practice sessions.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Griffey played for years on the turf in Seattle. It's no surprise his legs gave out. Larkin played for years on the turf in Cincy. His body gave out towards the end, too. But he had his prime years in Cincy, so we remember him for that. Griffey's prime was somewhere else, and we witnessed his greatness on the backside of his career. The fans, and the front office, are more at fault than Jr. Griffey gave it his all. Remember when he separated his shoulder diving for a ball in center field? Sure, he put on some weight. Seen Jeter lately? So has he.

7. Likes:

RedEye (03-15-2013),Revering4Blue (03-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Seen Jeter lately? So has he.
    Don't really have a dog in this griffey fight but the fat jeter pics im assuming your referencing were deemed fake or just a horrible photo, this is a pic Harold Reynolds took with him that same week.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Don't really have a dog in this griffey fight but the fat jeter pics im assuming your referencing were deemed fake or just a horrible photo, this is a pic Harold Reynolds took with him that same week.

We've already established that HR's analysis cannot be trusted. Just kidding guys, just kidding. It's Friday and I've got the needle out.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

10. Likes:

RadfordVA (03-15-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This thread cracks me up, it started about Greinke's elbow, morphed into a critique on Junior's physique, turned left into the Baseball players aren't necessarily good analysts because they played baseball, and in fact it's amazing they can string together a thought that might interest someone who knows the game.

I fully expect to cover some Pete Rose, Larkin to the Mets and Carl Lindner Satan's doppelganger in the future days.

Godspeed
    I don't want to backread -- has someone referred to him as "Whiffey" yet?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Whiffey is not your savior!

I knew it was over the moment Jr decided to get married and have kids. Yet another promising career pissed away.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I blame Bob Boone.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Ya know who was dedicated to the game... Gabe Kapler ... that's who.

Or was he just a really fit guy who had a .749 ops?

Holy moly... I had no idea he was rocking all that on Welcome Back Kotter...

Clearly the inspiration for the Sweathogs.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

16. Likes:

757690 (03-21-2013)

anyone who puts griff and Jeter in the same sentence just plain does not know what jeter does in the offseason.....

do some research and see how dedicated Jeter is in the offseason to keeping his weight down.....I am not saying jr did not, some people just have it in their gene pool to gain weight once they start getting a certain age and others stay thin regardless of what they eat or how often they exercise.....but jeter is not one who does not work out or "not diet" in the winter months.....the dude spent an entire off season in the some odd country so he could better eat their diet......he claims to never consumer more calories than he burns for 6 out of 7 days a week.....Nick Swisher said he ordered a pizza once to the clubhouse and Jeter made him get it out of the clubhouse....Giambi used to talk about how Jeter would get to the park at 6am and take grounders for a few hours then hit BP and then nap in the clubhouse....this was after playing a night game the evening before.....the dude is dedicated to his profession.....so was griff but even griff will tell you that age caught up with him and he didnt want to fight it.......I know we cant believe everything Marty said about ken but Marty once said that Ken quit working out once he realized that age had caught up with him......

with that said, Griff is still one of my favorite players of all time....but I have actually showed my kids video of Griff playing for the Reds and made them watch how he would not hustle and how little he truly tried......we all can love griff to death just like I do, but the dude was not a model for hustle like pete rose or Jeter, in fact I would argue that Griff and Jeter are on opposite ends of the "dedication" spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Holy moly... I had no idea he was rocking all that on Welcome Back Kotter...

Clearly the inspiration for the Sweathogs.
    Kapler has clearly let himself go since his playing days have ended.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You just did!

Turn Off Ads?