Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

MOD EDIT: This thread is for continuation of the Griffey-related conversation that came up during the Zack Greinke thread, so as to keep that thread related to its original topic.

Thanks.

------------

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I really doubt that was his plan. No one wants to get hurt.
    Sure it was... just like it was Junior's plan to decline in his 30's.
    Last edited by The Operator; 03-12-2013 at 03:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Greinke having elbow problems

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sure it was... just like it was Junior's plan to decline in his 30's.
    I'm sure Griffey still wanted to be great. The problem, IMO, is that he was not willing to put in the work to be great late in his career. That, coupled with the bad luck with the injuries, greatly hurt his career down the stretch. Some guys are able to play well late into their 30's and some are not. In fairness, Griffey also had a lot of wear and tear on those tires due to taking over as a starting CF in MLB at the ripe age of 19.

We all love Griff. But let's not pretend that his laziness didn't play a role in his decline. (Cue the "How do you know he was lazy?" questions. I don't know for sure. Just my opinion from following the Reds extremely close as I know most on here do. He always looked pudgy and like a guy who didn't put in much work in the weight room.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I'm sure Griffey still wanted to be great. The problem, IMO, is that he was not willing to put in the work to be great late in his career. That, coupled with the bad luck with the injuries, greatly hurt his career down the stretch. Some guys are able to play well late into their 30's and some are not. In fairness, Griffey also had a lot of wear and tear on those tires due to taking over as a starting CF in MLB at the ripe age of 19.

We all love Griff. But let's not pretend that his laziness didn't play a role in his decline. (Cue the "How do you know he was lazy?" questions. I don't know for sure. Just my opinion from following the Reds extremely close as I know most on here do. He always looked pudgy and like a guy who didn't put in much work in the weight room.)
    wow.

Didn't put in the work. because after suffering an injury only water skiers get, tearing his hamstring completely off the bone, he didn't put in the work?

just wow.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

5. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-11-2013),bubbachunk (03-12-2013),dougdirt (03-11-2013),gilpdawg (03-12-2013),HeatherC1212 (03-12-2013),Homer Bailey (03-12-2013),JayBruceFan (03-12-2013),jimbo (03-11-2013),mbgrayson (03-11-2013),Number_Fourteen (03-11-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-11-2013),Razor Shines (03-13-2013),RedEye (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013),Tom Servo (03-11-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    wow.

Didn't put in the work. because after suffering an injury only water skiers get, tearing his hamstring completely off the bone, he didn't put in the work?

just wow.
    This.

wow.

just wow.
    Yep, guy can't win in the seven hills area

wow.

just wow.
    Same lazy guy had a career .876 OPS in a Reds uni as well. Not bad for being lazy and dealing with some massive/freak injuries.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

In all fairness, did you see Griffey the last couple of years? I could've rested my soda pop on that boiler.

I don't blame Griffey for his decline and his injuries. But, he certainly could've eaten better and adjusted his workout and lifestyle as he got older to keep himself in top shape.

10. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (03-12-2013),redsrolen (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    But, he certainly could've eaten better and adjusted his workout and lifestyle as he got older to keep himself in top shape.
    Care to tell us what his eating and lifestyle habits were during his career, since you seem to be in the know?

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

This just in: it's tough to stay in great shape as you get older. More at 11.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-12-2013),JB12 (03-12-2013),Jr's Boy (03-12-2013),LexRedsFan (03-12-2013)

I don't know his diet, but you don't get a body like this by being a gym rat.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2011/0...ultant-edition

Look at that boiler. That's a man who likes himself some steak and taters.

My prescription is to get on a treadmill and run until about June.

15. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    This just in: it's tough to stay in great shape as you get older. More at 11.
    Which is why you need to adjust your diet and workout. If you're a pro athlete I absolutly believe that's your responsibility. If it means no steak or whatever so be it. If it means running more so be it. This is a man with the means to have the best, healthiest foods and the best personal trainers. Sorry, no excuse to be fat.

17. Likes:

My issue with griff and me thinking he is/was lazy was the fact that he never could run out a ground ball or stretch out a double or run out of the box.....I grew up loving the "kid".....I used to live off of those junior chocolate candy bars....I have ever kg baseball card known to man, even the rare ones....

Griff checked out long before his last at bat

19. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (03-12-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Which is why you need to adjust your diet and workout. If you're a pro athlete I absolutly believe that's your responsibility. If it means no steak or whatever so be it. If it means running more so be it. This is a man with the means to have the best, healthiest foods and the best personal trainers. Sorry, no excuse to be fat.

There is a perfectly reasonable excuse for him being a bit pudgy.

Firstly, it should be noted that KGJ was 39-40 when that picture was taken, and secondly he was a power hitter. This is important, because I believe you would be very hard pressed to find a power hitter nearing 40 in better shape than that. The guys that can do that are anatomical miracles or on steroids. Sure, when Griffey was 25, I'm sure the gains he could make in the weight room were indicative of other-worldy athleticism, but time waits for no man.

He had an interview yesterday during the USA/Canada game, and he was in the booth looking skinny and fit. Probably slimmer than any of the seasons he was a Red. The reason for this is simple: he doesn't have to bulk to keep his power anymore. If he simply stopped eating protein (steaks, in your example) during his playing years, he wouldn't have had good drive on the ball. Eating a ton is essential for an athlete to keep his muscle mass. Add that to the fact that you don't make those same gains in the gym when you are 40. It's not just a matter of using more resistance or adding reps in the weight room at that point. There is a reason why these guys have "prime" years.

You see this same scenario very often with offensive lineman when they retire... they lose a ton of weight and look like they are in the best shape of their life. In reality, they wouldn't be able to play their position any longer because they aren't strong enough.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

21. Likes:

marcshoe (03-11-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013),TRF (03-12-2013)

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    There is a perfectly reasonable excuse for him being a bit pudgy.

Firstly, it should be noted that KGJ was 39-40 when that picture was taken, and secondly he was a power hitter. This is important, because I believe you would be very hard pressed to find a power hitter nearing 40 in better shape than that. The guys that can do that are anatomical miracles or on steroids. Sure, when Griffey was 25, I'm sure the gains he could make in the weight room were indicative of other-worldy athleticism, but time waits for no man.
    Mays never got that fat when he was 40. Neither did Musial, Ted Williams, McCovey, Mike Schmidt, or countless other aging power hitters.

23. Likes:

As per Jr., take a look at his stats as a Reds player, even though he never replicated his preceeding years in Seattle, I still feel he put together some productive seasons, even with his injuries.
    I will be surprised if Grienke is on the Dodger roster come opening day and question how effective he will this season.

Turn Off Ads?