Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 164

Thread: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

  1. #31
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Griffey is one of the greatest hitters of all time and was one of the most fantastic athletes to ever play baseball. Its not the decline of production, but rather a decline in his overall fitness which obviously declined more than it probably should have
    Oh, you better brace yourself. People are still not ready to hear the truth on this matter.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    True but all the aforementioned three were. Howard played college basketball at OSU, Google a Stargell card from 1967 then 1979 that's just 12 years man.


    The Killer in a Senators uniform isn't dumpy I'm telling ya that.



    Guys get thick, even athletes and the even the top ones.
    So what is your point? Are you arguing that Griffey wasn't vastly out-of-shape the latter part of his career? Griffey was not "thick." He was "fat."

  4. #33
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Oh, you better brace yourself. People are still not ready to hear the truth on this matter.
    That's it. It's morphin time.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

  5. #34
    Salukifan2
    Guest

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    So what is your point? Are you arguing that Griffey wasn't vastly out-of-shape the latter part of his career? Griffey was not "thick." He was "fat."
    If griffey was only thick then david wells and tony gwynn were just a little husky

  6. #35
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,996

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Griffey is one of the greatest hitters of all time and was one of the most fantastic athletes to ever play baseball. Its not the decline of production, but rather a decline in his overall fitness which obviously declined more than it probably should have
    His declined can be directly linked to his injuries. If his injures lead to overall decline in fitness, then fine, but lets be clear, if he doesn't suffer the injuries he suffered, his production doesn't decline as it did.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  7. #36
    Salukifan2
    Guest

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    His declined can be directly linked to his injuries. If his injures lead to overall decline in fitness, then fine, but lets be clear, if he doesn't suffer the injuries he suffered, his production doesn't decline as it did.
    Agreed.

  8. #37
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    If griffey was only thick then david wells and tony gwynn were just a little husky
    Fat Elvis didn't think anything of Griffey's weight gain. Jessica Simpson thought he looked great.

  9. #38
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    When I hear some say Jr was lazy... which simply astounds me..... to me, that only reveals that root of bitterness and resentment that his career as a Red wasn't up to some fan's liking because of the injuries. I, as a die-hard Red fan, was just as frustrated at Jr's injuries. But go back and look at HOW Jr incurred those various, especially the really serious incidents, which, with a lot of players, are career-threatening. It wasn't because he was lazy and fat, but on the field hustling, trying to make a play. Lazy and fat players don't dive after balls, crash into walls.

    Fans are disappointed that Jr's career as a Red wasn't what they wanted/expected? I bet nobody's disappointment was as great as Jr's.

    Centerfielder Ken Griffey Jr. lies on the field after dislocating his shoulder while diving for a ball.



    The guy played hard and sacrificed his body out on that field. That's simply the way he played the game. Everyone knew that. And the injuries started to have a cumulative effect, as it would on any player.

    Fat and lazy players don't go through the numerous, and agonizing, surgeries and physical rehabs that Griffey did, trying to keep coming back and prove themselves because they wanted to be on that field. He didn't do that because he needed the money. He did it because he wanted to play and contribute. He loved being a Red.

    And it was well-known in that clubhouse, and with the players and staff, that Jr worked harder then anyone to comeback from those various injuries.

    Fat and lazy didn't slow this man or cause his decline. The injuries did. It was just tough luck.

    And anyone who calls Jr fat and lazy doesn't know what they are talking about IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-12-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  10. Likes:

    757690 (03-12-2013), 919191 (03-13-2013), bigredmechanism (03-12-2013), Chip R (03-12-2013), dougdirt (03-12-2013), HeatherC1212 (03-12-2013), Homer Bailey (03-12-2013), jimbo (03-12-2013), mth123 (03-12-2013), OldRightHander (03-18-2013), pahster (03-12-2013), Plus Plus (03-12-2013), RedEye (03-12-2013), remdog (03-12-2013), Revering4Blue (03-12-2013), RFS62 (03-13-2013), RichRed (03-12-2013), SweetLou1990 (03-12-2013), The Operator (03-12-2013), TRF (03-12-2013), westofyou (03-12-2013), WVRedsFan (03-12-2013)

  11. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,561

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Oh, you better brace yourself. People are still not ready to hear the truth on this matter.
    Blitz, you seenm to be continually contradicting yourself on this issues.

    You sure seem certain that Griffey was in poor shape and lazy with your reference above as the the "truth on this matter", and your previous quote "Someone dedicated to the game and being the best they could be would NEVER have gotten overweight and out-of-shape like Griffey was for the latter part of his career".

    Yet you also say "We have no way proving that he was lazy or not lazy".

    At the end of the day you have you opinion, but you admit that you can't prove it.

    I think what you really mean is that "people are not ready to hear your unsubstantiated opinion on the matter".

  12. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (03-12-2013), dougdirt (03-12-2013), mdccclxix (03-13-2013), RedEye (03-12-2013), Revering4Blue (03-12-2013), The Operator (03-12-2013), westofyou (03-12-2013), WVRedsFan (03-12-2013)

  13. #40
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Blitz, you seenm to be continually contradicting yourself on this issues.

    You sure seem certain that Griffey was in poor shape and lazy with your reference above as the the "truth on this matter", and your previous quote "Someone dedicated to the game and being the best they could be would NEVER have gotten overweight and out-of-shape like Griffey was for the latter part of his career".

    Yet you also say "We have no way proving that he was lazy or not lazy".

    At the end of the day you have you opinion, but you admit that you can't prove it.

    I think what you really mean is that "people are not ready to hear your unsubstantiated opinion on the matter".
    Not following your logic here at all. I'm not "contradicting" myself by admitting it's not a FACT that Griffey was lazy. I strongly believe he was lazy, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I have 100 percent of the information. Would you have preferred if I said "It's a proven fact that Griffey was lazy" instead of clearly saying it was MY OPINION that Griffey was lazy?

    There's no doubt in my mind that Griffey was lazy. But I can still recognize the difference between fact and opinion. What's interesting is so many in this thread are pretending as if it's a fact that Griffey was NOT lazy.

  14. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,561

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Not following your logic here at all. I'm not "contradicting" myself by admitting it's not a FACT that Griffey was lazy. I strongly believe he was lazy, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I have 100 percent of the information. Would you have preferred if I said "It's a proven fact that Griffey was lazy" instead of clearly saying it was MY OPINION that Griffey was lazy?
    You are constantly going between statements which suggest that "it's the truth" and then admitting you really have no idea.

    You basically did a drive by shooting of Griffey's reputation with zero facts to base it on.

  15. Likes:

    Homer Bailey (03-12-2013), Razor Shines (03-13-2013), RedEye (03-12-2013), Revering4Blue (03-12-2013)

  16. #42
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You are constantly going between statements which suggest that "it's the truth" and then admitting you really have no idea.

    You basically did a drive by shooting of Griffey's reputation with zero facts to base it on.
    A drive-by shooting of Griffey's reputation! This is getting rich.

    Again, what's amazing is that the Griffey fans act like it's a fact that it was just "bad luck" that led to his decline. Sorry gents (and ladies), that's called your opinion. It's your opinion it was bad luck. It's my opinion it was partially bad luck and partially due to Griffey being a lazy, entitled player. You don't get fat and out of shape like that if you're dedicated to the game IMO (you catch those last three letters, Puff?).

  17. #43
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When I hear some say Jr was lazy... which simply astounds me.....
    Likewise, it "astounds" me that some believe there isn't middle ground here. It's as if you have to believe Griffey's decline was 100 percent due to "bad luck" or 100 percent because of laziness. I think it was due to both. That's my opinion.

    Is that theory really so difficult to believe? I understand the biggest Griffey fans don't want to admit one of their favorite players of all time got "fat and happy" later in his career, but we have evidence to the contrary. Example: Double chin. Doesn't make it a 100 percent fact that Griffey was "lazy" but certainly you can understand how some Reds fans would feel that way. Or maybe not; who knows.

  18. #44
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,281

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Fact. Griffey dislocated his shoulder going all out for a ball.
    Fact. Griffey tore his hamstring completely off the bone.
    Fact. That surgery had never been performed before on any MLB Player.
    Fact. Griffey posted this line as a Red: .270 .362 .514 .876 122 OPS+

    Fact. 1st healthy season after three years of injuries at age 35 he posted this line: .301 .369 .576 .946 with 35 HR's
    Fact. then next year he posted this line at age 36: .252 .316 .486 .802
    Fact. and finally at age 37... .277 .372 .496 .869

    lazy my ass.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  19. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (03-12-2013), dougdirt (03-12-2013), jimbo (03-12-2013), OnBaseMachine (03-12-2013), RedEye (03-12-2013), Revering4Blue (03-12-2013), SweetLou1990 (03-12-2013), The Operator (03-12-2013), WVRedsFan (03-12-2013)

  20. #45
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,368

    Re: Greinke having elbow problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    So what is your point? Are you arguing that Griffey wasn't vastly out-of-shape the latter part of his career? Griffey was not "thick." He was "fat."
    "My" point is that folks can can randomly say guys like Musial and Williams didn't get thicker and I can trot out twice as many guys who did. "My" point is sitting on your arse and typing on the keyboard that Ken Griffey was lazy is just nothing more than lazy analysis, thick with innuendo and conjecture.

    That my friend is "My" point.

  21. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (03-12-2013), RFS62 (03-13-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25