Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

Re: Greinke having elbow problems

Here is Griffey in his last month or so with the Reds in 2008, watching his 600th homer. He doesn't look fat to me.

Yes he did get bigger in between Seattle stints ...

Plus he knew how to deal with hecklers ...
    http://deadspin.com/260239/ken-griff...-with-hecklers

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    wow.

Didn't put in the work. because after suffering an injury only water skiers get, tearing his hamstring completely off the bone, he didn't put in the work?

just wow.
    Also the Reds continued to trot Jr out on the field before he was 100% healthy for the purpose of short term ticket sales..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-12-2013)

Fact. Griffey dislocated his shoulder going all out for a ball.
    Fact. Griffey tore his hamstring completely off the bone.
    Fact. That surgery had never been performed before on any MLB Player.
    Fact. Griffey posted this line as a Red: .270 .362 .514 .876 122 OPS+.
    Fact: None of that makes you non-lazy.

Was he lazy? It's an aggressive claim, however disputing it with such vigor is probably just as questionable as the original poster.

6. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (03-12-2013),redsrule2500 (03-13-2013)

Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

When did i say that Junior was or wasn't lazy, and stated it as a fact?

I let his numbers, and his injury history speak for themselves.

so, How many players, with his injury history post those numbers, at those ages after 35?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

8. Likes:

919191 (03-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Here is Griffey in his last month or so with the Reds in 2008, watching his 600th homer. He doesn't look fat to me.

Yes he did get bigger in between Seattle stints ...

Plus he knew how to deal with hecklers ...
    http://deadspin.com/260239/ken-griff...-with-hecklers
    Fresh salmon is like candy. Can you really blame him for putting a few extra pounds when returning to the PNW?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I can't wait until the real games start. Some of these threads are starting to get snippy.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Wasn't it a pretty well known fact that Griffey didn't work out a lot when he was in Seattle? I have no doubt he put in a ton of work to come back from his injuries as a Red, but couldn't you make an argument his lack of work in Seattle caused his injuries in Cincinnati?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

As for Griffey getting bigger, did you weigh more at age 40 than you did at age 20? Welcome to the world of getting older when you aren't on roids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

13. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-12-2013),Revering4Blue (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013),WVRedsFan (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Wasn't it a pretty well known fact that Griffey didn't work out a lot when he was in Seattle? I have no doubt he put in a ton of work to come back from his injuries as a Red, but couldn't you make an argument his lack of work in Seattle caused his injuries in Cincinnati?
    I think playing CF on astroturf for all those years probably didn't help things any.

I've heard the rumors that he didn't work out a lot in Seattle, but it's hard to say if they're true or not. Talk radio and sports journalists will almost unfailingly find anything and everything they can to bag on highly paid players, whether what they say is true or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No, you can't make that argument. Griffey tore his hamstring from the bone. That isn't a lack of work issue. Griffey dislocated his shoulder diving for a baseball. That isn't a lack of work issue. Griffey tore tendons in his knee and ankle. That isn't a lack of work issue.

16. Likes:

Salukifan2

When did i say that Junior was or wasn't lazy, and stated it as a fact?

I let his numbers, and his injury history speak for themselves.

so, How many players, with his injury history post those numbers, at those ages after 35?
    None that i can think of. Uh-oh, that can only mean one thing

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I don't know his diet, but you don't get a body like this by being a gym rat.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2011/0...ultant-edition

Look at that boiler. That's a man who likes himself some steak and taters.

My prescription is to get on a treadmill and run until about June.
    You are acting like dude looks like Mo Vaughn, not even close.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

19. Likes:

This thread is making me laugh...a lot of major over reaction by both parties.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    This thread is making me laugh...a lot of major over reaction by both parties.
    Yeah, but at least we are partying!

Over the years of growing up as a kid and a die-hard Griffey fan from the Seattle days then changing my allegiance to the Reds shortly after he was traded here, I read pretty much anything book/magazine/etc I could get my hands on about Griffey.

He has always caught a lot of flack for "being lazy" and not working out even back in his Seattle days. That was part of the reason he was deemed "the natural" because his ability was so effortless even though he didn't touch weights.

Being lazy is not defined as not lifting weights and getting a cut, lean body. Lazy is being unwilling to put in the effort or activity to perform a task or accomplish something. Oh and stretching, many studies have proven stretching can actually increase your chances of getting hurt before physical activity. A much better warm up is to start out with light intensity exercises before moving into full intensity. Stretching before sprinting is no better than jogging up to a sprint.

That being said, not touching weights does not make one lazy. I can do a full body workout using body weight and balance exercises and get a much better workout than pumping some bench press and doing some curls. He did not believe in lifting weights but instead believed in getting more reps and more practice, shagging flys, hitting in the cage, etc. The guy could swing a bat over 100mph, that takes a ridiculous amount of force, and doing that over and over and over is one heck of a workout. Not to mention shagging flyball after flyball is quite a sprinting workout.

Once he got to Cincinnati and began to get injured time and time again, it is hard to workout and make gains/strides when your lower body or upper body cannot even function. Post injury period he put together a few more good seasons.

Even watching him in Chicago for the end of 2008 season, he didn't look out of shape, and actually didn't look terrible in CF. Not good by any means, but I thought that was going to be a trainwreck.

Once he returned to Seattle I think he let himself go. Yes, I think he got lazy. As far as laziness causing his career to end early or to tail off sharply...he was 38/39, played many years on rough astroturf, has played nearly 20 seasons in the bigs. Time and age was likely as big of a part of his decline as getting lazy.

Do I think he got lazy in Seattle and let himself go, yes, especially the last year. Was he lazy in Cincinnati? I see nothing that provides evidence to support those claims.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 03-12-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

23. Likes:

mdccclxix (03-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?