Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And we also know that most 19-23 year olds don't have to "put in the work" to stay in shape like guys 25-40 for a plethora of different reasons too. So again, I could not care one ounce what Harold Reynolds has to say on the matter, especially when it comes to what Griffey was doing off of the field 10-16 years later.

That is like saying Homer Bailey still isn't listening to his coaches because you quoted someone from 2005 who played with him in Dayton.
    OK, fair enough. That's actually a very-good point on your behalf. I don't think Griffey's work ethic ever changed (he was lazy then and he was still lazy in his 30's, when he couldn't afford to be) but you do make a good point. There is a chance that Griffey suddenly became a hard worker later in his career. The evidence doesn't really support that, but we don't know it for sure.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Even though I was one of the causes of this thread moving in this direction it makes me laugh. I just wish I could've found a way to fit in Adam Dunn's strikeouts, "the trade" (kearns) and the Josh Hamilton trade. This would probably be 100 pages by now.
    Well Jr and Dunn had the same root addiction which lead to their downfall- plush clubhouse massage chairs.
    Last edited by klw; 03-13-2013 at 02:07 PM.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    There's quite a bit more to "working out and staying in shape" than simply lifting weights. Especially in the world of MLB.
    OK (and I agree). But tell that to the next world class track sprinter who tears his hamstring. Or the next pro football player who dislocates his shoulder. Shoot happens sometimes and does not have a damn thing to do with working out. Kind of like someone claiming Dale Earnhardt Sr. must not have been a good driver or worked hard enough at his driving skills b/c he died in a crash.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Well Jr and Dunn had the same root addiction which lead to their downfall- plush clubhouse armchairs.
    I think getting rid of the La-Z Boy recliners is what really turned this organization around. Everyone talks about Walt, getting good pitching, improving the defense, drafting well, investing more money in international players, yadda yadda yadda. I trace it all back to the removal of the La-Z Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    OK (and I agree). But tell that to the next world class track sprinter who tears his hamstring. Or the next pro football player who dislocates his shoulder. Shoot happens sometimes and does not have a damn thing to do with working out. Kind of like someone claiming Dale Earnhardt Sr. must not have been a good driver or worked hard enough at his driving skills b/c he died in a crash.
    It's not really like that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Actually one of the top US distance runners, Chris Solinsky had to have the Griffey surgery. He missed a year and a half and just ran his first competitive race a week ago.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/etc/c...150114415.html

"In 2010 I had a really successful year and I had stepped up my mileage as well as my intensity," Solinsky said. "I saw a benefit and had a great year. I got a little bit greedy. I did 120 miles five weeks of that year and the rest were in the 100-mile range. I thought, 'If I double that, I'm going to get aerobically stronger.'

"So last year I did 12 or 13 weeks at 120 miles or more and none of the runs were very easy. I think my body kind of revolted."

Even Solinsky's coach, Jerry Schumacher, who guided him to five NCAA Division 1 titles at Wisconsin, warned him to slow down.

"I would take an afternoon off and I felt guilty, I felt lazy," Solinsky said. "This is what made me good in high school and college. What is my competition doing? Whatever they're doing, I want to do more."

The hamstring started giving him problems. He saw it as just another obstacle to run through and ignored the pain. Two weeks before the 2011 World Championships, the hamstring had enough. Three of the four major muscles tore off his pelvic bone.

"It's kind of a sad story," Solinsky said. "We were at a training camp. My wife and my dog were there. I tripped over my dog coming down the stairs and caught myself, but I felt something pop in my leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    If the guy had stronger muscles, a good stretching routine, etc, he might have prevented some of those injuries.
    Or maybe if he hadn't play center field on the Kingdome concrete for 10 seasons.

10. Likes:

Always Red (03-13-2013),dougdirt (03-13-2013),Revering4Blue (03-13-2013),The Operator (03-13-2013),TRF (03-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Or maybe if he hadn't play center field on the Kingdome concrete for 10 seasons.
    I think that was definitely part of the equation.

There are a million reasons why KGJ could/couldn't have avoided his injuries. It's pure speculation from anyone but KGJ and possibly even him.

I'm in the camp that he was lazy due to his God given talent. (I'm also in the camp that Harold Reynolds is one of the best employees Baseball Tonight ever had and he was unjustly fired. But I digress...)

Some guys are born to play in The Show I believe KGJ was one of them. When something is given to someone at birth, it's rare that it's respected like it would be from someone who has had to work for it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Harold Reynolds is a terrible analyst.

14. Likes:

The Operator (03-13-2013)

Re: Greinke having elbow problems

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I don't know his diet, but you don't get a body like this by being a gym rat.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2011/0...ultant-edition

Look at that boiler. That's a man who likes himself some steak and taters.

My prescription is to get on a treadmill and run until about June.
    How about when he was in a Reds Uni???

All the talk while he was recouping from the injuries was that most athletes wouldn't even be able to get back on the field from that sort of injury let alone be productive at all.

Junior went back to Seattle to say goodbye...to make the last rounds and to influence the young team he joined...he was not there to be Atlas.

I was happy to see both Dunn and Junior gone when they did. I was happy Larkin retired when he did. Not because they were bad people but because they were not going to be the answer to the team moving forward.

I still do not see how anyone who was over the age of 10 during Junior's period with the Reds can say he gave less than EVERYTHING and probably a little more to get back from those injuries.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Harold Reynolds is a terrible analyst.
    I disagree

17. Likes:

redsrule2500 (03-15-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    As for Griffey, I don't think it's unfair to have the opinion that his lack of work ethic off the field contributed to some of his injuries. We'll never know that for sure, but I can understand why a lot of people have that opinion. If the guy had stronger muscles, a good stretching routine, etc, he might have prevented some of those injuries.
    I agree with you on the first part. It's perfectly reasonable to hold that opinion, but opinion is the operative word.

My opinion is that it's much more complicated for a MLB slugger - one in his late thirties at that - to stay strong enough to continue his production than some people have said. There are also factors that are completely out of the players control.

I always see the argument that Griffey never had to work out when he was young, and its just as ridiculous every time. Professional athletes are born with athleticism, no doubt about it, but every single one of these have to put in a ton of work to get to the level they are at. Athleticism alone will not get you to the majors. There is a ton of effort that goes into that, and I think some of you guys are not fully appreciating that aspect of the argument.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I always see the argument that Griffey never had to work out when he was young, and its just as ridiculous every time. Professional athletes are born with athleticism, no doubt about it, but every single one of these have to put in a ton of work to get to the level they are at. Athleticism alone will not get you to the majors. There is a ton of effort that goes into that, and I think some of you guys are not fully appreciating that aspect of the argument.
    Obviously "ton of work" is subjective but I am assuming you're saying that "every single one" went above and beyond and did extra work as they rose through the ranks.

It's just not true. Some folks were born to be world class physicists. Some were born to be world class musicians. Some people were born to be world class baseball, football, hockey, golf, etc....athletes. All they gotta do is show up.
    Last edited by TSJ55; 03-13-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Ya know who was dedicated to the game... Gabe Kapler ... that's who.

Or was he just a really fit guy who had a .749 ops?

Turn Off Ads?