Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

I have no idea how hard Griffey worked on staying in shape late in his career.I hope he worked very hard but I don't think I'd put money on it. Something that I would bet on is that I could make it down the first base line faster then he did 90% of the time and I'm not that fast. I loved Griffey but I don't believe it was all that hard to notice that sometimes he dogged it. With that said, I have no doubt that he busted his butt to get back from injuries that might of ended some professional athletes careers. You also don't become the best baseball player in the world by being lazy. He wasn't Pete Rose but I wouldn't go so far as to calling him lazy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I still don't get why people get upset when guys don't "Pete Rose" it to first base on a routine groundball. You are out 99% of the time on those plays.

4. Likes:

Razor Shines (03-13-2013)

Reds fans booed when Junior was taken off the field on a stretcher.

Reds fans eat their own.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

Reds fans eat their own.
    *some Reds fans

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Greinke having elbow problems

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    wow.

Didn't put in the work. because after suffering an injury only water skiers get, tearing his hamstring completely off the bone, he didn't put in the work?

just wow.
    Wow all you want.

I have a friend who was a clubby with the Reds during the Griffey era and his training regimen was questioned throught the entire organization. He made it well known to people that he didn't believe in weight lifting back then.

And Griffey is my favorite athlete of all time. I didn't ever want to believe that.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I wouldn't ever call Griffey lazy and I think he gave it his all every time he was on the field.

If the fitness continuum is somewhere between Terry Forster/fat tub of goo and the most fit player in MLB, Griffey is somewhere in the middle. He didn't let himself go completely, put forth an effort, but I think it could be said he had some room for improvement.

I think his bad luck with injuries made him look worse than what he was and a lot of those injuries were perceived as resulting from lack of conditioning. Maybe some were and maybe some weren't. I, for one, can't say. I'm a lot closer to the fat tub of goo of things.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Re: Greinke having elbow problems

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Wow all you want.

I have a friend who was a clubby with the Reds during the Griffey era and his training regimen was questioned throught the entire organization. He made it well known to people that he didn't believe in weight lifting back then.

And Griffey is my favorite athlete of all time. I didn't ever want to believe that.
    No offense, but you are pretty well connected it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I still don't get why people get upset when guys don't "Pete Rose" it to first base on a routine groundball. You are out 99% of the time on those plays.
    That depends. On the surface I think you may be right however you can always forced a rushed throw, ball in the dirt, etc.

But sometimes dogging it down to first isn't the only time that player will dog it.

I have no dog really in the fight of weather he was a gym rat or not. I do believe he worked out plenty to keep in shape for what he deemed was needed to keep himself on the field as much as and possible and to perform to the best of his abilities. Weather that was weights, cardio, or just stretching. He knows his body better than any of us or even a trainer as far as what goes for his swing and baseball activities.

And as far as doging it to first or not hustling. I was fine with it. If our super star homerun hitting, best player on the team gives his body a break on a play that could result in a lucky single or an extra base, that 99.99% of the time is an out, then great. I'd much rather he was healthy and ready to put the next pitch he saw into the seats. I think with his brittle body that was a fine sacrifice, rather than for him to potentially ruin the rest of the season for an extra base, when his bat meant so much more than singles.

He looks about as fat as Jeter

13. Likes:

Gunner44 (03-12-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

Reds fans eat their own.
    That's weak if anyone did that. I know I'm the villain of this thread for questioning Griffey's dedication and work ethic. But I would never cheer for him to get hurt. In fact, my heart broke a little bit with every injury. There is no doubt he had some bad luck late in his career. It's my contention he was also lazy. JMO.

If anyone cheered for Griffey to get hurt, I hope a Reds fan smacked them upside the head for such activities. There is no doubt he played hard when on the field. The question is how hard he worked off the field.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You may be more likely to tear a hammy than beat it out.

I don't like the slam the bat down and run back to the dugout move- But full speed is not required for me.

Charlie Hustle didn't start out as a compliment.

16. Likes:

Gunner44 (03-12-2013),Razor Shines (03-13-2013)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    That's weak if anyone did that. I know I'm the villain of this thread for questioning Griffey's dedication and work ethic. But I would never cheer for him to get hurt. In fact, my heart broke a little bit with every injury. There is no doubt he had some bad luck late in his career. It's my contention he was also lazy. JMO.

If anyone cheered for Griffey to get hurt, I hope a Reds fan smacked them upside the head for such activities. There is no doubt he played hard when on the field. The question is how hard he worked off the field.
    I don't think you can look at those pictures of him the last few years and think he was that concerned with baseball. The results and his body do not lie.

18. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (03-13-2013)

I only have one problem with Griffey Jr...I can't even imagine going to sleep during a game...who does that?? I don't know if the rumors are true that I read...that he layed around the lockerroom in his later yrs (not talking about when he was injured)..I do believe he was getting a pay check though...He was a bright light though... with memories that don't seem to end...I'm having trouble picturing really dedicated ball players going to take a nap during the game...

Quote Originally Posted by redsrolen View Post
    I only have one problem with Griffey Jr...I can't even imagine going to sleep during a game...who does that?? I don't know if the rumors are true that I read...that he layed around the lockerroom in his later yrs (not talking about when he was injured)..I do believe he was getting a pay check though...He was a bright light though... with memories that don't seem to end...I'm having trouble picturing really dedicated ball players going to take a nap during the game...
    Mickey Mantle slept, as for around the locker room, numerous players on most teams can be found in the locker room during the game, some in easy chairs.

It's a reality, unsure how I really feel about it or if it even affects the game, these are guys spending, more than half their day at the stadium they tend to lay around, eat, soak in the whirlpool and watch video. Some even do it during the game.

21. Likes:

Razor Shines (03-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?