Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 164

Thread: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

  1. #121
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Hope those glass houses do not get hit with any stones, fellow members.

    If only Junior had worked out and been in better shape. 1,000 HRs for his career? Maybe 1,200 HRs if he roided too? We all know lifting weights and the like stops torn hamstrings and dislocated shoulders.

    If only Junior had worked out and been in better shape. Cooperstown would build a wing just for him. Damn you, Junior!
    Game..

    Set...

    Match...

    May as well end this ridiculous thread now.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #122
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,071

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    I disagree
    You must be the only one. Well, you and whoever makes the hires at MLB Network. He is consistently flat out wrong when he talks.

  4. #123
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,350

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    If I lament anything about Junior Griffey its that he's associated with the M's in his post playing career. Injuries happen to guys in shape and guys not in shape. Sometimes its related, sometimes its not.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  5. #124
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,073

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Is this 2000 all over again? good grief.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  6. #125
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,071

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Is this 2000 all over again? good grief.
    I wish. Kind of.

  7. #126
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,226

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    It's just not true. Some folks were born to be world class physicists. Some were born to be world class musicians. Some people were born to be world class baseball, football, hockey, golf, etc....athletes. All they gotta do is show up.
    Honestly, I think anyone who reaches "elite" status in their field would be insulted by that. It's essentially saying "Oh, well you were born with it, you didn't even have to work as hard for it like everyone else." They most likely worked much harder than the average Joe could appreciate.

    Einstein wasn't born with an understanding of Calculus. Sure, he had an advantage with his great mind, but he still needed to learn it and perfect it. I don't see how someone could say that he probably didn't have to work hard to learn extremely complex physics. It shouldn't be assumed that he just touches a book and retains all the information a la Meteor Man.

    Kobe Bryant is notorious for having an insane training regimine. Is he wasting his time, since he was born into the hall of fame?
    Award Winning Baseball Player

  8. Likes:

    The Operator (03-13-2013)

  9. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    718

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Honestly, I think anyone who reaches "elite" status in their field would be insulted by that. It's essentially saying "Oh, well you were born with it, you didn't even have to work as hard for it like everyone else." They most likely worked much harder than the average Joe could appreciate.
    Nowhere did I say or even hint that everyone who reaches "elite" status in their field was born with it and didn't have to work. I said that some who reach elite status in their field didn't have to do any extra work above and beyond what their fellow competitors did. Ive' spent enough time around athletes to know their truly is such a thing as a "Natural" beyond that hideous movie.


    Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Einstein wasn't born with an understanding of Calculus. Sure, he had an advantage with his great mind, but he still needed to learn it and perfect it. I don't see how someone could say that he probably didn't have to work hard to learn extremely complex physics. It shouldn't be assumed that he just touches a book and retains all the information a la Meteor Man.
    You're right. Einstein was not born with an understanding of calculus nor did I say that anyone was "born" anything. I said they "born to be"... The talent they were blessed with combined lots of other factors (geography, socioeconomics, etc...) put them into a situation where they could excel and pass their peers with less effort. I never brought up AE, you did. Maybe he did and maybe he didn't outwork his peers.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Kobe Bryant is notorious for having an insane training regimine. Is he wasting his time, since he was born into the hall of fame?
    I never named Kobe as someone who didn't have to put any work in. Basketball isn't my thing. Greg Norman on the other hand was notorious for rarely practicing (relative to his peers). His golf skill set was just that good.
    Last edited by TSJ55; 03-13-2013 at 06:43 PM.

  10. #128
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    718

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You must be the only one. Well, you and whoever makes the hires at MLB Network. He is consistently flat out wrong when he talks.
    Even if that were the case, I don't mind standing alone.

    I'm not sure how many years you have under your belt in the MLB but I'll take HR's analysis for now. Thanks.

  11. #129
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,226

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Even if that were the case, I don't mind standing alone.

    I'm not sure how many years you have under your belt in the MLB but I'll take HR's analysis for now. Thanks.
    It's hard to see why you absolutely need game experience to analyze sports, especially ones that have enough events to get good data from. It helps, but it's not the be all and end all.

    That said, I really like Reynolds. MLB network did well to bring him in. I think he's both likable and knowledgeable, the best thing he has as an analyst is how articulate he is. You're never left wondering what he's talking about after he finishes.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

  12. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    718

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    It's hard to see why you absolutely need game experience to analyze sports, especially ones that have enough events to get good data from. It helps, but it's not the be all and end all.

    That said, I really like Reynolds. MLB network did well to bring him in. I think he's both likable and knowledgeable, the best thing he has as an analyst is how articulate he is. You're never left wondering what he's talking about after he finishes.
    You don't "absolutely need game experience to analyze sports" but it's a frame of reference that gives you a leg up on anyone who doesn't have it. Now that's not to say that just any former player can do it either.

    HR has the player point of view that speaks deeply to people who know the game at the on field level. He can also put things in terms that non-players can relate to. Like you said, he articulates very well.

  13. Likes:

    jimbo (03-13-2013), redsfanmia (03-13-2013), westofyou (03-13-2013)

  14. #131
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,071

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Even if that were the case, I don't mind standing alone.

    I'm not sure how many years you have under your belt in the MLB but I'll take HR's analysis for now. Thanks.
    I will say this much, if I want to know how to swing a bat or field a ball, I will listen to Harold Reynolds. If I want someone to explain the game to me, a situation or the value of a player, I can think of a ton of people I would rather listen to than Harold Reynolds. That isn't an HR thing, it is an almost entirely "former players" thing. I want them to be able to back up what they say with some data, not "because I say so" and all too often, that is what you get despite mountains of data that says otherwise.

  15. #132
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    718

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I will say this much, if I want to know how to swing a bat or field a ball, I will listen to Harold Reynolds. If I want someone to explain the game to me, a situation or the value of a player, I can think of a ton of people I would rather listen to than Harold Reynolds. That isn't an HR thing, it is an almost entirely "former players" thing. I want them to be able to back up what they say with some data, not "because I say so" and all too often, that is what you get despite mountains of data that says otherwise.
    An extremely wise person once said, "Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted."
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  16. Likes:

    jimbo (03-13-2013)

  17. #133
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,071

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    An extremely wise person once said, "Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted."
    I will take the things that I can count over the things someone says count, but can't actually show me. Every single time.

  18. #134
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,123

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    I loved Harry Reynolds as a ball player. As a studio guy he's awful.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  19. #135
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    718

    Re: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I will take the things that I can count over the things someone says count, but can't actually show me. Every single time.
    Suit yourself. I will continue to side with folks I deem to have the most real world knowledge of a subject.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25