Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scotch Drinkers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scotch Drinkers

Give me some tips. I'm a beginner. I've been drinking it for about a year now. I've tried Johnny Black and Red (which I both loved). I'm now trying Cutty Sark (yeah I know, I was in Kroger late one night and it I liked the name). My goal right now is to just expand my palate of Scotch and then eventually become a serious Scotch guy and critiquing it.

Anyway, I need some more recommendations on some other brands.

How would you go about getting some variety? More single malt? I feel like I've got so many questions that I don't know where to begin.

EDIT: Yowza. MODS, this needs to be moved. (Sawry)
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 03-13-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Re: Scotch Drinkers

My mother in law drinks scotch every day and won't touch anything other than J & B. My favorite is Pinch although I believe technically it's a blend

I believe if you are getting seriously in to scotch you are going to want to learn about single malts.

Although not a real scotch fan- I prefer the lighter and smoother taste of Irish whiskey to scotch- I've had my fair share of them and because there are so many it's pretty tough to provide any kinds of recommendations other than to just go to a bar and try some. Generally, single malts are divided into regions, like highland, lowland, island, etc., so I'd say you will want to know where a particular one comes from if you try it, so that you can start to get a better sense for the qualities and characteristics of the geographic areas. My guess is that the most familiar to us in the states are from the Highlands, like Oban, the McAllan, Glenmorangie, and the Spey Sides, like Glenfiddich, Cardhu, Craggenmore and the like. I've had all these and you're likely to find them in any bar worth its salt in single malts.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

4. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-14-2013),Todd Gack (03-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I believe if you are getting seriously in to scotch you are going to want to learn about single malts.

Although not a real scotch fan- I prefer the lighter and smoother taste of Irish whiskey to scotch- I've had my fair share of them and because there are so many it's pretty tough to provide any kinds of recommendations other than to just go to a bar and try some. Generally, single malts are divided into regions, like highland, lowland, island, etc., so I'd say you will want to know where a particular one comes from if you try it, so that you can start to get a better sense for the qualities and characteristics of the geographic areas. My guess is that the most familiar to us in the states are from the Highlands, like Oban, the McAllan, Glenmorangie, and the Spey Sides, like Glenfiddich, Cardhu, Craggenmore and the like. I've had all these and you're likely to find them in any bar worth its salt in single malts.

Thanks. I'll take this into account. I guess that was one of my questions. I've been trying double malt and wanted to try some single malts. I'd like to develop a nice palette and try new things before I settle on just one brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I'm now trying Cutty Sark (yeah I know, I was in Kroger late one night and it I liked the name).
    Drink two fifths a day. It worked for LBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Drink two fifths a day. It worked for LBJ.
    But not for John Boehner.

Good luck. I don't have any recommendations for you, I'm a Bourbon guy being from Kentucky and all, but I welcome you into the fraternity of spirits.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Retired

Glenlivet 12 is a nice starting point in single malts. Not super rough with a lot of peet, and doesn't cost $100+ a bottle either.

10. Likes:

Todd Gack (03-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Glenlivet 12 is a nice starting point in single malts. Not super rough with a lot of peet, and doesn't cost $100+ a bottle either.
    Good recommendation. I actually like the bigger name scotchs if I'm going for an old one, 10+ years. The smaller ones generally don't have the space or the funds to be as patient. The bigger ones tend to be cheaper for the same reason.

You probably know this, but make sure to add a splash of water or an ice cube to your scotch. Just a little bit of water changes the chemical structure of the drink, and releases more of its flavors.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Salukifan2

I generally prefer bourbon but i recently had Talisker and i thought it was fantastic. Very smooth

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Good recommendation. I actually like the bigger name scotchs if I'm going for an old one, 10+ years. The smaller ones generally don't have the space or the funds to be as patient. The bigger ones tend to be cheaper for the same reason.

You probably know this, but make sure to add a splash of water or an ice cube to your scotch. Just a little bit of water changes the chemical structure of the drink, and releases more of its flavors.
    I had a weird system with my ice and scotch. I started with like 5 ice cubes from my refrigerator. The more I drank scotch, the less i've added. I've gone down to 2 but depending on how I feel and how much I want, I'll add three for four cubes. It's to the point where I my fiance can now tell what kind of mood I'm in depending on how many ice cubes I put in my Scotch.

14. Likes:

Cant Touch This (04-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Thanks for the advice. That'll be one of my next purchases.

If you want to be a serious scotch guy, I'd recommend booking a trip over to Scotland and visiting some of their scotch tours at some point. The one in Edinbourgh takes you thru some old castle and ends up in the basement in a scotch room. I'm not a scotch person, but the friend i was traveling w/ ended up purchasing the Scotch sampler, I think it was 8 half shots of different mixes of scotch.

I read a really good novella a couple of years ago called "The Haunted Single Malt"by Marvin Kaye, about a drink that contains the essence of a massacre in its valley of origin. The single malt is served by a descendant of the victims to a descendant of the perpetrators.

So be sure to get the background of the single malt before drinking.

That's all I got.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

High five!

I love the ones that taste like you're eating dirt. Laphroig being a favorite. There's a nice, affordable one I had recently called "Smokey Joe" that's quite good. Caol Ila is also great when in need of a dram.

Oban and The MacCallen are other choices for a less peatey note.

Turn Off Ads?