Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Bob Castellini helped The Banks get on track

Modern Day Powell Crosley he is

It cannot be understated how great Bob Castellini has been for the city of Cincinnati and the Reds organization. I don't know if I would choose anyone else to own this team, to be honest.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I can't wait until they build the "deck". That will be the icing on the cake for Cincy's downtown.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm glad the Banks is being developed, but I've been pretty underwhelmed with the results thus far. There's a lot of wasted space in the development, and the restaurants / bars they've brought in (with the notable exception of the Moerlein Lager House) have all been pretty uniformly mediocre.

It's a pity no one with real vision spearheaded development right from the start.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

A) The development is still ongoing with the addition of some other great restaurants.

B) The article indicates that the first phase was completed without much financial support, so it got done without much adornment. That additional stuff is likely to follow and make it all cohere better.

I think there needs to be a really signature addition at some point in the next 5-10 years. something visually appealing and memorable on the order slightly beneath the space needle, millennium park, or stl arch, but still iconic. A major art piece that makes all the brochures and is a photo opp. I think the capping of the highway could provide the space for this, or perhaps the phase 2 area. I just don't know what kind of pride or energy would be represented, but it's got to be fun. Anyway, I'm off topic.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I think there needs to be a really signature addition at some point in the next 5-10 years. something visually appealing and memorable on the order slightly beneath the space needle, millennium park, or stl arch, but still iconic. A major art piece that makes all the brochures and is a photo opp. I think the capping of the highway could provide the space for this, or perhaps the phase 2 area. I just don't know what kind of pride or energy would be represented, but it's got to be fun. Anyway, I'm off topic.
    I know that a large carousel will be part of The Banks, as will the sail from the USS Cincinnati, an LA-class nuclear submarine.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I know that a large carousel will be part of The Banks, as will the sail from the USS Cincinnati, an LA-class nuclear submarine.
    Nuclear submarines have sails?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Nuclear submarines have sails?
    Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cincinnati_(SSN-693)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sail_(submarine)

This is an email from last year regarding the USS Cincinnati mentioned above.
    Thank you for your comments on the park.

As to a time frame for the USS Cincinnati installation at the park, there is none. Proponents who would like to see this feature placed in the park need to raise funding for the design and installation of the “sail” from the submarine as well as raise operating funds to maintain it. We would also need Hamilton County to make the property available to us to build this. Our plan has identified a site within the park where the facility would go in a future phase and we would welcome it – contingent on the funding and the property being available.

Steven Schuckman
    Superintendent, Planning, Design & Facilities
    Cincinnati Parks

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm glad the Banks is being developed, but I've been pretty underwhelmed with the results thus far. There's a lot of wasted space in the development, and the restaurants / bars they've brought in (with the notable exception of the Moerlein Lager House) have all been pretty uniformly mediocre.

It's a pity no one with real vision spearheaded development right from the start.
    Well, just remember that a lot of mediocre restaurants wash out in 5 years, so they'll probably be replaced with new ones.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Well, just remember that a lot of mediocre restaurants wash out in 5 years, so they'll probably be replaced with new ones.
    Not sure I understand the criticism. Holy Grail has been open two years now and is packed almost every night - game or no game. It's easily become one of the destination spots in the city. Tin Roof is also proving highly popular on non-game nights with its live music every night. It's definitely got the post-college Banks residential crowd locked down. Moerlein Lager House speaks for itself - it's a gem for this city.

I've eaten at Crave twice and it was outstanding. As was Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Calling either of those "mediocre" is a stretch and borderline snobbish.

Toby Keith's isn't at all my style, but judging from the long lines to get in on weekends, it looks to be doing fine.

Frankly, The Banks will continue to be chain-heavy because of the crowds it attracts, and that's fine. Cities do have more tourist-friendly destinations that are popular with the chains. Look at Times Square in NYC, 16th Street Mall in Denver, Universal City in Orlando, etc.

There is literally no shortage of unique, local restaurants all throughout downtown and OTR for you to go to if that interests you more. Heck, in OTR alone, you have Kaze, Bakersfield, Senate, Pho Lang Thang, Nicola's, A Tavola, Abigail Street, Taste of Belgium, Anchor, Park + Vine, Quan Hapa, etc., with more on the way ... And there are endless local restaurants in downtown and Mount Adams also. So there is room for the type of places that are flocking to The Banks. Let it be.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 01-29-2013 at 12:34 AM.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-01-2013),redsfan30 (02-07-2013)

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Not sure I understand the criticism. Holy Grail has been open two years now and is packed almost every night - game or no game. It's easily become one of the destination spots in the city. Tin Roof is also proving highly popular on non-game nights with its live music every night. It's definitely got the post-college Banks residential crowd locked down. Moerlein Lager House speaks for itself - it's a gem for this city.

I've eaten at Crave twice and it was outstanding. As was Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Calling either of those "mediocre" is a stretch and borderline snobbish.

Toby Keith's isn't at all my style, but judging from the long lines to get in on weekends, it looks to be doing fine.

Frankly, The Banks will continue to be chain-heavy because of the crowds it attracts, and that's fine. Cities do have more tourist-friendly destinations that are popular with the chains. Look at Times Square in NYC, 16th Street Mall in Denver, Universal City in Orlando, etc.

There is literally no shortage of unique, local restaurants all throughout downtown and OTR for you to go to if that interests you more. Heck, in OTR alone, you have Kaze, Bakersfield, Senate, Pho Lang Thang, Nicola's, A Tavola, Abigail Street, Taste of Belgium, Anchor, Park + Vine, Quan Hapa, etc., with more on the way ... And there are endless local restaurants in downtown and Mount Adams also. So there is room for the type of places that are flocking to The Banks. Let it be.
    Great post. In Louisville we have "4th Street Live", a block of mostly chain restaurants and bars, it does remarkably well. It is crowded at lunch and dinner daily and the nightlife is hopping, yet a lot of locals complain about "downtown is scary and inconvenient", "no local flavor", "corporate blah blah blah". I don't go there often, but I do make it down a couple of times a year. I also enjoy eating at our many local establishments. In a downtown, near the hotels and convention centers a city needs a place that feels exciting and touristy, but is familiar enough for American sheeple to go to, and The Banks fits that perfectly. All it is missing is a Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gumps and it could be Beale Street, Bourbon Street, Duvall Street or downtown Nashville. As it grows it will get better, and maybe more local. Right now is a destination downtown and it is keeping money inside Cincinnati, and by extension Ohio, instead of Covington or Newport.

After reading that, as a Kentuckian I feel the need to say "The Banks sucks, go to Newport on the Levy. It Rocks!"
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Turn Off Ads?