Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Ticket For Driving 63MPH in a 65 Zone?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: A Ticket For Driving 63MPH in a 65 Zone?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    In theory if everyone is going the speed limit and everyone is letting people merge then everyone could keep right and traffic would move normally right?
    Yes, but that isn't reality. Merging causes slow downs/speed ups. Weather. Rubber neckers looking at anything.

Of course, if we went with "in theory" no one would EVER drive in the left lane and it would be a waste of trillions of dollars that we ever even created them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well, many states have laws that you can't drive in the left lane if you aren't passing, numerous ones issue tickets for doing just that. Lots of mountain roads insist that slower vehicles use turnouts to let traffic behind them pass, that too can garner a slow driver without a care for those behind a ticket.
    Is 63 in a 65 "slow"? Of course it isn't. Unless you are rocking the cruise control, you are probably going anywhere between 63-67 as you drive "65" and legally speaking, people shouldn't be passing you because they would then be speeding.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is 63 in a 65 "slow"? Of course it isn't. Unless you are rocking the cruise control, you are probably going anywhere between 63-67 as you drive "65" and legally speaking, people shouldn't be passing you because they would then be speeding.
    Not the issue in this case (despite her claim). The law states you cannot "hang" in the left lane. Don't like the law, then write to the law-makers. Don't like getting a ticket for it, then get the hell over (aka abide by the law). Just like you can be ticketed in some areas for not merging out of the right lane to allow people entering the highway. It makes the highway a safer place (lo and behold). Not to mention it is called common courtesy (and COMMON SENSE).

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The cop made a completely arbitrary decision. This would be one ticket I'd contest in court especially if the driving conditions could be interpretted as hazardous as the driver claimed.

I doubt a judge would uphold this ticket. he might even chastize the issuing police department.

Truthfully though, IMHO, these are the kinds of things that alot of police departments along interstates use as excuses to pull you over so that they can escalate the invent into an invasion of your car.

In the southeast, it's almost like the police have money sniffing dogs. I bet this cop just stinks at profiling the cash cows.
    Or she is a selfish/rude piece of crap. Only cares about herself. Could care less about the LAW or the reason for this law (safety on the highway). I applaud an officer for upholding the LAW.

6. Likes:

TeamSelig (03-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Not the issue in this case (despite her claim). The law states you cannot "hang" in the left lane. Don't like the law, then write to the law-makers. Don't like getting a ticket for it, then get the hell over (aka abide by the law). Just like you can be ticketed in some areas for not merging out of the right lane to allow people entering the highway. It makes the highway a safer place (lo and behold). Not to mention it is called common courtesy (and COMMON SENSE).
    And yet, in my 13 years of driving, I have never once heard of this law being enforced. Have you ever heard of it being enforced before?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Or she is a selfish/rude piece of crap. Only cares about herself. Could care less about the LAW or the reason for this law (safety on the highway). I applaud an officer for upholding the LAW.
    Selfish rude piece of crap because she was driving 63 MPH in a 65 MPH zone? You often experience road rage don't you?

She is lucky someone didn't press the button for their James Bond style missiles and blow her off the road. (I know you all wish you had that button for slow pokes in the left lane.)
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

To me 63 is slow yes.

But that misses the point of my post, I could be driving in the left lane with NO ONE around and be breaking the law in some states, because the left lane is designated as for passing only.

I've driven in every state and I've seen that law in plenty of them

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

And yet, in my 13 years of driving, I have never once heard of this law being enforced. Have you ever heard of it being enforced before?
    I have, yeah. As others have pointed out, "keep right except to pass" (or some variation thereof) is not just how they tell us to do it on the driver's test, it's often the law, at least for limited-access freeways.

Left unwritten in the article is, how long a line of cars was stacked up behind her.

And as much as you'd like to believe it's a public service for someone to park themselves in the left lane on a freeway and go the speed limit to ensure no one else can exceed the limit, you won't get an "attaboy" from most highway patrol guys because sooner or later someone's going to do something stupid to get around you.

Having said that, sometimes a car going 63 in a 65 zone has to pass someone going 57. If they do that and then get over, the guy who ran up behind her doing 85 halfway through the pass needs to just hold his dadgum horses for a minute instead of doing the tailgating/light-flashing thing. Common courtesy goes both ways.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The officer could have done this instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...dvl_P1Zc#t=32s
    /r/reds

13. Likes:

TeamSelig (03-14-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Yup.

The following things are also technically Ohio traffic violations that I'm sure you've never heard of:

- Operating a bicycle under the influence of alcohol.
    - Operate a motor vehicle at a slow speed that "impedes the normal and reasonable movement of traffic"
    - Following another vehicle "more closely than is reasonably prudent"
    - Following closer than 500 feet (1.66 football fields of length) to an emergency vehicle with it's overhead lights activated.
    - Entering into an intersection when there is no room to clear it (even if the light remains green the entire time you're inside the intersection and you eventually successfully clear it)
    - Wearing earbuds or earphones while driving
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Selfish rude piece of crap because she was driving 63 MPH in a 65 MPH zone? You often experience road rage don't you?
    Nope, but I do not care for selfish people who pout when wrong. Evidently you do not know the LAW? Don't hang in the left lane, doug!

This is veering slightly off topic, but what do you feel is proper etiquette when you have to ride the left lane for a bit to exit left? I routinely use the I-71 3rd Street and I-75 2nd Street and Galbraith Road exits which require me to drive in the left lane to exit. I fully admit I'm always driving over the speed limit but no matter how fast I'm going someone driving 20-30 mph over inevitably gets on my tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Yup.

The following things are also technically Ohio traffic violations that I'm sure you've never heard of:

- Operating a bicycle under the influence of alcohol.
    - Operate a motor vehicle at a slow speed that "impedes the normal and reasonable movement of traffic"
    - Following another vehicle "more closely than is reasonably prudent"
    - Following closer than 500 feet (1.66 football fields of length) to an emergency vehicle with it's overhead lights activated.
    - Entering into an intersection when there is no room to clear it (even if the light remains green the entire time you're inside the intersection and you eventually successfully clear it)
    - Wearing earbuds or earphones while driving
    I have heard of all of those except the 500 feet emergency vehicle.

Fact is, this officer pulled over someone and ticketed them for something that every single person in this country does every day that drives on a highway. It is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    This is veering slightly off topic, but what do you feel is proper etiquette when you have to ride the left lane for a bit to exit left? I routinely use the I-71 3rd Street and I-75 2nd Street and Galbraith Road exits which require me to drive in the left lane to exit. I fully admit I'm always driving over the speed limit but no matter how fast I'm going someone driving 20-30 mph over inevitably gets on my tail.
    I am sure a qualified officer understands about left lane exits. They are few and far between though. And of course most us north of the stadiums know those exits well. I'd love to see the officer give one of those people on your tail a ticket.

Turn Off Ads?