Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Determine Intelligence from Appearance?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Can You Determine Intelligence from Appearance?

How about the average intelligence of banana phone callers?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

When I see men with ponytails, glasses, beards and wearing sandals, their appearance screams loudly to me that they have zero common sense.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    You can't talk to the person. Let's say you see them from across a room. They're not speaking, just listening to a conversation.

Another guy and I said "no". Two women I asked said "yes".
    I read an article by someone that claimed to be an expert on interviewing people for jobs. He trained people to interview.

He said the universal theme is that everyone OVERESTIMATES their ability to evaluate someone based on their interviewing style.

It doesn't surprise me that some people think they can figure out someone's intelligence based on appearance. Totally ludicrous, in my opinion.
    Their social mannerisms, posture, etc are more of an effect of the environment they were raised in, as opposed to their intelligence.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The presence of facial tatoos seems to be a good correlate.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm always making judgments based on grammar usage. I usually keep those judgments to myself.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The presence of facial tatoos seems to be a good correlate.
    Referred to in my profession as "CLMs" = Career Limiting Moves
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Totally ludicrous, in my opinion.
    Their social mannerisms, posture, etc are more of an effect of the environment they were raised in, as opposed to their intelligence.
    Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that people think they can tell. But they can't.

people base what they're going to hear from me long before i speak, they see long hair, huge beard, odd clothing and under 30 and go: idiot stoner!

then they actually talk to me, find out i'm not only in management, college educated, and well-spoken; but that the overwhelming majority of my interests/hobbies are related to the outdoors, history, and gardening.

troubles many a brain, it does.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    When I see men with ponytails, glasses, beards and wearing sandals, their appearance screams loudly to me that they have zero common sense.
    No one should wear sandals or those dreaded flip flops.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Jesus wore sandals....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Jesus wore sandals....
    so did judas...

No

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post

With you here. But I'm kind of fashion fascist. I think grown men should only wear shorts at the beach.

With you here. But I'm kind of fashion fascist. I think grown men should only wear shorts at the beach.
    Hopefully the gym is also acceptable?

I'm a fashion pacifist...except when it comes to guys wearing sunglasses on their heads indoors, which somewhere along the line became the "cool guy" thing to do in bars around here. Zero tolerance for that nonsense.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?