Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Where should Chapman end up?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rotation

118 69.01%
  • Bullpen

47 27.49%
  • AAA

2 1.17%
  • Avengers Assemble!

4 2.34%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chapman (POLL)

Chapman (POLL)

Make your vote be heard!

This is it, this is YOUR chance to make no impact on the Reds whatsoever.

Here's the question:

How would YOU use Chapman?

I'm not looking for what the Reds are going to do, I am looking for what YOU would do if you made the decision.

Stand up and be counted!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman (POLL)

If you don't vote, you can't complain!

Voted rotation, but it's not the no brainer the final results will probably show. The better question is how long do you stick with him if he's consistently knocked out of the game the second time through the batting order. IMO, anything less than 20 starts isnt really a shot. If he's consistently getting knocked out in mid-May and people are clamoring for a change, its not really the "finding out about him" that everyone has been clamoring for.

The standings will play into how long the rope is, but if he's banished to the pen in May don't think we've really found out anything.

Hopefully, he's a stud and becomes the Red's first Cy Young winner down the road, but it's not automatic that he'll be successful.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Voted rotation but I say he ends up in bullpen.

I'm fine with the rotation experiment, but don't believe his dominance extends there. I've been worried that his velocity and command will make the transition more dicey that some believe. I think we will probably be a below average starter for a couple of years. He could possibly become a solid starter in a year or two, but is it worth giving up two years of dominance as a closer? Time will tell.

I'd like to see something few seem to mention: keep him in the bullpen but let him throw multiple innings. Nothing says your closer has to throw only the last three batters. Let Chapman kick it '70s style.

Edit: I'm honestly fine either way. Sound arguments to be had on both sides and I am going to trust Walt and <gasp> Dusty.
    Last edited by reds1869; 03-16-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Closer. Dominant.

part of BBN

Voted rotation.

Loganbuck FTW

Rotation. Imagine what could happen if he's given the same patience we've given Homer Bailey.

12. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-16-2013),LexRedsFan (03-17-2013),Raisor (03-16-2013),Red Raindog (03-16-2013),RedEye (03-17-2013),Spider Tre (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Edit: I'm honestly fine either way. Sound arguments to be had on both sides and I am going to trust Walt and <gasp> Dusty.
    Tough to trust both when they disagree with each other, right?

14. Likes:

JB12 (03-17-2013)

Big day today for Leake and Chapman. Neither really impressing, but Leake is bombing it.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I voted rotation. But I'd be perfectly fine with him starting in AAA as long as it's to keep his innings under control and on a starters schedule. Then pulling him up when they feel he's set. I'd also be fine with them skipping the occasional start for Aroldis so they can use him throughout the season. Mike Leake also has plenty of options. He can be yo-yo'd up and down all year to fill the missed starts. I also want Leake on a regular schedule and starting between Cincy & Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I voted rotation. But I'd be perfectly fine with him starting in AAA as long as it's to keep his innings under control and on a starters schedule. Then pulling him up when they feel he's set. I'd also be fine with them skipping the occasional start for Aroldis so they can use him throughout the season. Mike Leake also has plenty of options. He can be yo-yo'd up and down all year to fill the missed starts. I also want Leake on a regular schedule and starting between Cincy & Louisville.
    Leake's option clock expires in April. After that, options or no, they need his permission to send him down. If he refuses, he'd need to clear waivers. No yo-yoing with Leake this year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Leake's option clock expires in April. After that, options or no, they need his permission to send him down. If he refuses, he'd need to clear waivers. No yo-yoing with Leake this year.
    Huh? He's gone down once, right? Or is there a time limit as well?

The following Reds are currently on the 40-man roster or 60-day Disabled List and "out of options" in 2013, meaning they must clear waivers before being sent to the minors. (Out-of-options players with multi-year deals, like Sean Marshall and Ryan Ludwick are excluded.)

Jose Arredondo

Bronson Arroyo *

Homer Bailey

Jason Donald

Shin-Soo Choo *

Jack Hannahan

Nick Masset *

Manny Parra *

Xavier Paul

Alfredo Simon

Turn Off Ads?