Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Where should Chapman end up?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rotation

118 69.01%
  • Bullpen

47 27.49%
  • AAA

2 1.17%
  • Avengers Assemble!

4 2.34%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chapman (POLL)

Re: Chapman (POLL)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If you don't vote, you can't complain!
    You mean to tell me if you voted for the (worthless) fourth choice, you still retain the right to complain?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You mean to tell me if you voted for the (worthless) fourth choice, you still retain the right to complain?
    Worthless? How dare you sir. The god of thunder will have words with thee.

I can totally see the appeal of closing. The crowd anticipating your appearance and then going crazy when you come into the game. And when you strike out the side after a big win you're right in the center of the diamond. Even if you aren't the biggest reason the team won, you're the center of attention. Every time you come into the game it's a clutch moment and you're never playing a boring inning. Also he won't always be blowing up the speedometer as a closer. He's a competitor that likes throwing hard and blowing guys at the plate. He wants to pitch the same way he drives: with his foot on the gas. I'd tell him to give the rotation a shot for one month. Then if he doesn't like it, then he can go back to closing. Even if he gives up no runs for a month, it's his choice...until it's playoff time. Start stretching him out in August and he'll be our third arm. Best of both worlds.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Meh. I'm fine with the plan.

I do think as a Closer he limits the opponent to 8 innings to score. And the opponent knows it so they might press harder the other 8 innings knowing he's coming out in the 9th if they're behind.

But might as well find out if he's Randy Johnson now than later. I don't think he is.

I've never understood the money comments that paying him $30M (over 6 years or something like that) merits that he should be a starter. Why? Broxton is making $7M per year approximately. Cordero was making $12M per year. Chapman isn't making $30M per year. He's making like $4M or $5M per season.

6. Likes:

KYRedsFan (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I've never understood the money comments that paying him $30M (over 6 years or something like that) merits that he should be a starter. Why? Broxton is making $7M per year approximately. Cordero was making $12M per year. Chapman isn't making $30M per year. He's making like $4M or $5M per season.
    All three of those are overpays for closers. That's why the "money comments." If Chapman is a starter, better value.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    All three of those are overpays for closers. That's why the "money comments." If Chapman is a starter, better value.
    I guess it all depends on how you define value. At this point we don't really know because he hasn't started. He could be another Koufax. But if he's not and he struggles as a starter but really dominates as a closer...then, to me, he's better valued as a closer.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (03-18-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

You real estate guys know the three most important rules for how to use your best pitcher.

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Why wasn't "Use him as a LOOGY" any option?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-18-2013)

I vote closer and will vote closer in every poll that pops up.

This team has a legit shot at winning a World Series this year and a big part of that shot is how dominant the back end of the bullpen is. This is not the year to rob from that huge strength for experimental purposes. This is the year to build the strongest team possible and have a parade downtown in October.

The most direct way to accomplish this (when it comes to Chapman) is leaving him alone in the 9th inning. Not battling innings and potential mediocrity in the rotation.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

14. Likes:

KYRedsFan (03-22-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I vote closer and will vote closer in every poll that pops up.

This team has a legit shot at winning a World Series this year and a big part of that shot is how dominant the back end of the bullpen is. This is not the year to rob from that huge strength for experimental purposes. This is the year to build the strongest team possible and have a parade downtown in October.

The most direct way to accomplish this (when it comes to Chapman) is leaving him alone in the 9th inning. Not battling innings and potential mediocrity in the rotation.
    Marshall, Arredondo, LeCure, Ondrusek, Simon, Hoover and Broxton combined to post a 2.84 ERA last season. I don't think for a second that this team has a bullpen issue when you remove Aroldis Chapman from it. Even without him, that group was flat out dominant.

Throw him out there to start 30+ times a year and he'll be on top of this All-time leaderboard in 4 years or less:

Tim Lincecum (101 of 139, 72.7%)
    Tom Seaver (454 of 647, 70.2%)
    Adam Wainwright (83 of 119, 69.7%)
    Mel Stottlemyre (247 of 356, 69.4%)
    Roy Oswalt (216 of 316, 68.4%)
    Josh Johnson (77 of 113, 68.1%)
    Bob Gibson (328 of 482, 68%)
    Roy Halladay (226 of 338, 66.9%)
    Félix Hernández (127 of 190, 66.8%)
    Randy Johnson (403 of 603, 66.8%)

Guess What leaderboard that is?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Found it odd that out of 162 votes over 70% have been cast in favor of Chapman being a starter. Meanwhile, on another Red's blog only 23% out of 317 voters have Chapman in the rotation.

Group think?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Found it odd that out of 162 votes over 70% have been cast in favor of Chapman being a starter. Meanwhile, on another Red's blog only 23% out of 317 voters have Chapman in the rotation.

Group think?
    The Redszone group is clearly the smarter of the two.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

19. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-22-2013),Raisor (03-22-2013)

If you polled the banana phone callers the results would be reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    If you polled the banana phone callers the results would be reversed.
    When in doubt, do the opposite of the banana phone callers.

Turn Off Ads?