Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Talked to scouts who are raving about work of Mike Leake this spring, about how he's commanding four different pitches, throwing 92-93 mph.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN

I love hearing that, but at the same time, I want Chapman to be given a shot at starting. You can never have enough starting pitching depth.

Edit - mods, you can merge this with one of the Chapman threads if you want.

2. Likes:

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Guess Leake decided not to bring that stuff to his start today then...

Probably the same scouts who think Chapman should stay a closer. Maybe they have Chapman on their Fantasy team and he's their only closer?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

6. Likes:

GADawg (03-25-2013)

Raving about what exactly? That "shiny" near 7.00 ERA? Superior placement with that 3 run jack yesterday?

Looks like Leake has become the heir apparent RedsZone whipping boy for 2013.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (03-23-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    Raving about what exactly? That "shiny" near 7.00 ERA? Superior placement with that 3 run jack yesterday?
    Stuff. And let's not confuse ST performance with regular season likelihood. Johnny Cueto has been hit around and been walking a lot of guys this spring. Oh and his ERA isn't near 7.00, it is over 7.00.

While I know it is different because Leake was supposed to be competing for a job, he still has to "get ready" for the season and that doesn't always mean going out and trying to get every last batter out like it is October 1st. You need to work on things that aren't working for you. Maybe that means you throw 20 straight fastballs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Looks like Leake has become the heir apparent RedsZone whipping boy for 2013.
    I wish I had photoshop skill.

12. Likes:

M2 (03-25-2013),REDREAD (03-23-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-23-2013)

Well, let's only hope that it translates to success for Leake in 2013. I hope the guy turns it around. He needs to quite frankly.

Tough to be the innocent bystander who gets in the way of this forum's unrequited rotation dreams.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Never liked Mike Leake. If scouts are "raving" about him, then let's use that as ammo to trade him somewhere.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

16. Likes:

BlackPete Ibold (03-23-2013),Ghosts of 1990 (03-25-2013)

Kind of hard to believe that Leake will only be 25 for the entirety of the 2013 season. I think he still has some upside and is less injury-prone than a few others on the Reds staff; at worst he's the best #5 in the NL. If a few calls go his way, a few more FBs stay in the park, he could put together a really nice season. This team will need him to start as many games as he can.

I like Mike Leake.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (03-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I wish I had photoshop skill.

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-23-2013),GADawg (03-25-2013),RadfordVA (03-25-2013),REDREAD (03-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Kind of hard to believe that Leake will only be 25 for the entirety of the 2013 season. I think he still has some upside and is less injury-prone than a few others on the Reds staff; at worst he's the best #5 in the NL. If a few calls go his way, a few more FBs stay in the park, he could put together a really nice season. This team will need him to start as many games as he can.

I like Mike Leake.
    Ditto

I think the Mike Leake we'll get in 2013 will be a lot closer to the 2011 version than the 2012 version. Most teams would kill to have a guy like him in the #5 slot of their rotation, especially when you factor in how much he helps himself with the bat.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Ditto

I think the Mike Leake we'll get in 2013 will be a lot closer to the 2011 version than the 2012 version. Most teams would kill to have a guy like him in the #5 slot of their rotation, especially when you factor in how much he helps himself with the bat.
    What leads you to believe that? His 2011 success was based on a .272 BABIP. Don't confuse this with me saying he sucks, but I am just not sure I see the improvements coming forth either. Perhaps a little one as his HR/FB rate gets back to the 13-14% instead of 16%.

23. Likes:

jojo (03-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What leads you to believe that? His 2011 success was based on a .272 BABIP. Don't confuse this with me saying he sucks, but I am just not sure I see the improvements coming forth either. Perhaps a little one as his HR/FB rate gets back to the 13-14% instead of 16%.
    Experience and dumb luck.

Leake is still learning his craft, and he had a crappy year last season. I expect him to improve a little bit and have a few more bounces go his way this year. I'm not expecting any dramatic improvement, but an ERA+ of 100 (give or take a few points) and his usual outstanding hitting seems likely IMO.

Turn Off Ads?