Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Sure, but he probably doesn't face the other teams #5 all that often throughout the season.
    Make the adjustment and see how he compares to other 5's -i know you can do that.

Off hand, I would take Lohse, Wily Peralta, or Fiers over him from Milwaukee.
    Pick one of them - they can't all be 5th starters- if they are then they got a team of 5th starters and I would take my chances in a pennant race against that team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    They typically attach their name to what matters, and that's the work they get paid for performing.
    They typically attach their name to their successes....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

In 2011,Leake led the Reds in wins, K's and ERA, the Reds pitching triple crown.

FWIW, I think he makes a decent #5 starter.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    In 2011,Leake led the Reds in wins, K's and ERA, the Reds pitching triple crown.

FWIW, I think he makes a decent #5 starter.
    And that is why the Reds had a losing record in 2011.

He is a fine 5th starter, but that is all that he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    They typically attach their name to their successes....
    Don't we all haha...but scouts can not attach their name to anything regarding other teams players or it would be considered tampering thus all the unnamed reports on players from insiders.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Reminder, the Padres named Volquez as their OP starter. Volquez would be in Louisville here. You're underselling a 25-year old Leake.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Reminder, the Padres named Volquez as their OP starter. Volquez would be in Louisville here. You're underselling a 25-year old Leake.
    I really don't think I am. Leake is what he is. He is a guy who will have an ERA in the 4.30-4.85 range depending on how his luck goes. He has no out pitch and when guys put the ball in the air against him, it leaves the yard often.

Point being that he's not the dreck everyone makes him out to be

IMO, it's selling Leake extremely short to view him as nothing more than a #5 guy. I expect him to spend most of the rest of the 2010s as an above average starter. He's got four pitches, a great competitive brain, and his command and velocity should both be on the improve.

Had he spent 2010 and 2011 dominating the minors (and he would have done exactly that), then we'd be looking at 2012 in a far different light. Instead he broke straight through to the majors and we've seen more of his learning curve as a result. Remember, almost no one can make the jump straight to the majors from the college ranks. It takes a lot of talent to do it and survive.

Leake is 25 and he's a good bet for a K/BB of 3.00. His best day are ahead of him and I suspect his best days are going to be pretty good.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-25-2013),BillDoran (03-26-2013),GAC (03-26-2013),jimbo (03-25-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-26-2013),REDREAD (03-26-2013),redsmetz (03-26-2013),Scrap Irony (03-26-2013),Steve4192 (03-26-2013),Tuff Nut (03-26-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (03-26-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Scouts are wrong all the time... nice that they never need to attach a name to anything.
    Fans have also been known to be wrong too......

13. Likes:

Larry Schuler (03-26-2013)

Leake probably is a good fifth starter and some are happy with that I guess but he is still way to hittable for my tastes. I know that even most first round draft picks don't pan out at all and in terms of the draft Leake is far from a total bust but I just don't like him in the rotation. I mean this is a guy the Reds threw in an extremely important playoff game last season and he got absolutely shelled. Yes, he's a fine fifth starter on most teams but I feel like we could have done better than decent for that fifth spot.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

I really don't think I am. Leake is what he is. He is a guy who will have an ERA in the 4.30-4.85 range depending on how his luck goes. He has no out pitch and when guys put the ball in the air against him, it leaves the yard often.
    Again, how is that a bad thing for your #5 starter.
    He generally gives you innings and (other than last year) gives the team more than his share of quality starts.
    No team has 5 Latos on their staff..
    I am thankful to have Leake on the team. He is a good draft success story. Sure, he will never be an ace, but he is a useful picther.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

16. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Again, how is that a bad thing for your #5 starter.
    It's not.

Unless you have someone on the roster that may be better. Which the Reds do.

Instead he broke straight through to the majors and we've seen more of his learning curve as a result. Remember, almost no one can make the jump straight to the majors from the college ranks. It takes a lot of talent to do it and survive.
    Agreed. Plus he's done it pitching in one of most pitcher-unfriendly parks in the majors. A park that could undo lesser pitchers (or much taller ones -- looking at you, Harang).

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    IMO, it's selling Leake extremely short to view him as nothing more than a #5 guy. I expect him to spend most of the rest of the 2010s as an above average starter. He's got four pitches, a great competitive brain, and his command and velocity should both be on the improve.

Had he spent 2010 and 2011 dominating the minors (and he would have done exactly that), then we'd be looking at 2012 in a far different light. Instead he broke straight through to the majors and we've seen more of his learning curve as a result. Remember, almost no one can make the jump straight to the majors from the college ranks. It takes a lot of talent to do it and survive.

Leake is 25 and he's a good bet for a K/BB of 3.00. His best day are ahead of him and I suspect his best days are going to be pretty good.
    Or.. He's an immature headcase. One that was poised to make millions who decided to shoplift t-shirts. He's got no K pitch, is defense dependent, and for a guy with a rep as a groundball machine, gives up a ton of HR's in a park and division that isn't kind to pitchers that do that. He's also very hittable, and the harder he throws, the less movement he gets on his FB. He's a younger miracle whip version of Elizardo Ramirez, without the high draft pick pedigree. He's going to give up 12 baserunners per 9 via hit and walk, and probably 1 HR every time he starts. As a #5 starter, he's ok, but If i lived in Cincinnati, and saw he was pitching, I wouldn't waste the money on a ticket.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?