Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

It's courteous to let someone know you're walking in and out of a store exchanging merchandise back and forth without a receipt?

That's courteous?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    They were the same price. He paid for the shirts and swapped out sizes. I honestly do not consider that stealing. If there was any difference in value, I'd agree. But when you pay $50 for $50 of merchandise and leave with $50 of merchandise, I don't consider that stealing.

Sorry, I just don't see the harm in that. Intellectually. Honestly. Practically. If you pay for a certain value and walk out with a certain value, you've done nothing wrong IMHO. He should have gone through the proper channels, it's the courteous thing to do, but I do not consider him a thief.
    Well the people who enforce the law consider it stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well the people who enforce the law consider it stealing.
    Actually they don't since he didn't plead guilty to shoplifting. He pleaded guilty to "unauthorized use of property."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Actually they don't since he didn't plead guilty to shoplifting. He pleaded guilty to "unauthorized use of property."

Doubt he puts it on his resume, though.

6. Likes:

OGB (03-27-2013)

People plead out to lesser charges all of the time because it is a lot easier for the court system.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I am not making excuses. His Macy card stated that he bought the original shirts. He brought them back to exchange them and he swapped them out himself. That's not stealing. That's why he got off.

I was merely stating that there seem to be so many "perfect" people here on Redzone, that they probably can't let that infraction go. So they will pile up on Mike just for that reason.
    He did not get off, did he? Didn't he plead guilty to an offense? More importantly, why didn't the fact that this was a misunderstanding come up until after he talked to a defense lawyer?

Do you really think that if a known MLB pitcher told the store that this was an exchange and you could find the charge on hs store card, that they would have called the cops?

FYI, I confess I am bit jaded... In the case I discussed, the guy also was able to come up with a receipt... Although this was months after the arrest and on the eve of trial. It wasn't until after the acquittal we found that a relative who worked at the store had entered the sale and altered the date of the transaction. If a small time punk could pull this off, well...

Again, this is not a major deal, as I have said before. A kid shoplifted, probably for some thrill.

The mike leake shirt story was at most funny. Any further discussion on the subject at any serious level is only funny, but for different reasons. It's a group of shirts. Find something else to debate in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    People plead out to lesser charges all of the time because it is a lot easier for the court system.
    And also because it didn't meet the legal grounds for what constituted "theft." If the prosecutors truly thought it was stealing, they would have charged him with such.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

And also because it didn't meet the legal grounds for what constituted "theft." If the prosecutors truly thought it was stealing, they would have charged him with such.
    Exactly.

Ok. No one has ever been offered a lesser charge to just save time and hassle on small charges.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Leake skipped the minors because he spent three years as a starter in college logging almost 400 IP.

The Reds considered him a relatively finished product from a player development standpoint. It's not like he was an 18 yo phenom.
    To be fair, they thought he was, at the time, the best option they had for the number five starter role. Basically they thought that was enough of a finished product to fill the back of the rotation.

I think, looking back, while Leake played a big role in the Reds first division win in 15 years, the Reds might be thinking that bringing him right to the majors wasn't the best idea, that he might have been better off in the long run to have started his career in the minors.

We can argue whether he is actually learning on the job, but one thing we can't debate is that he should be learning, wherever he pitches. He's at the age and level of development where he is should still be learning and getting better. We'll see this year if he can do that at the MLB level.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Dude hangs out with Bronson.

That right there is a big problem

Bronson can teach Mike how to pitch.... and maybe Mike can teach Bronson how to sing.

Chapman has a few speeding tickets and got involved with a stripper.
    Pete married one.

He's been HAMMERED for that.

Go back and read the Chapman/Bullpen thread.

He's too immature to be a starter,
    He won't be able to handle the stress (however, he can handle the stress of being a closer?)
    on and on...

But call the same thing on Leake and the statute of limitations is up.

Seems a little odd to me.
    As far as I'm concerned the situation(s) with Chapman are over for me too. I try my best not to dwell on stuff. My son got a traffic violation (his first) about two weeks ago. He got grounded, served his "time", is repentant, and the issue is over as far I'm I'm concerned.

Now if I catch him, at 17, hanging out with strippers, that'll be a different story.

Fans put their "celebrities" on pedestals that them themselves couldn't stand on. Why is that?
    Last edited by GAC; 03-27-2013 at 04:33 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The theft thing is a non-issue -- I know plenty of people who have screwed up once (DUIs, underage drinking, weed tickets, etc.) and never do it again. He's a kid, whatever.

I'm more concerned about the fact that he's a short, sub-90, right hander that lacks a true put-away pitch and doesn't seem to be improving (statistically or observationally).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Chapman got involved with a stripper.
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find an MLB player who hasn't. I was told by a beat writer, that the best way to meet baseball players when down at spring training, was to find the closest strip club. Honestly.
    Last edited by 757690; 03-27-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find an MLB player who hasn't. I was told by a beat writer, that the bet way to meet baseball players when down at spring training, was to find the closest strip club. Honestly.
    During the night sure, golf course during the day.

18. Likes:

nkyguys.02 (03-29-2013)

Turn Off Ads?