Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Not by this person.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Randy, not saying you did. but go through the thread. look at how many times Chapman's been called a headcase or some such. that his off field decisions preclude him from being a successful starter. It's crap. because you could use the same excuses to say he can't be a good closer.

The truth is simple.. Can he pitch effectively as a starter. The Reds believed so last spring. Chapman had stated for 2 seasons he prefers to start, and Dusty ignored that. Now that he has stated a closer's preference, Dusty relishes that opinion.

Seems cut and dried to me. This decision is all Dusty Baker. And it won't surprise me one bit if we see Price exiting soon.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    And it won't surprise me one bit if we see Price exiting soon.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    He made a mistake. He's certainly not the only, or last person on this team that has made a mistake. Get over it.
    I am over it. But I am also not going to make an excuse for what he did either. He screwed up and he absolutely knew better than to do what he did.

So just continue to harp about it then, I guess.

and you should just continue to harp on the harping and around we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    and you should just continue to harp on the harping and around we go.

And you can just continue to add your 2 cents!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Randy, don't you think if I were still harping about it, that in the entire spring debate about Chapman I would have brought it up at least once?

I only brought it up as a reply to something that someone else said. Don't make excuses for bad decisions. Accept that it happened, it was a bad choice made and don't make it again. But don't make excuses for it.

And you can just continue to add your 2 cents!

3 cents, inflation

I didn't make any excuses. I said he made a mistake. It has nothing to do with his pitching performance or lack of. Leake's a pretty cool customer on the mound. Doesn't seem to rattle easily. Any immaturity off the field doesn't seem to translate on the field.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 03-26-2013 at 03:10 PM.

3 cents, inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Don't see it -- he's too slight of a guy to really add velocity, and his command doesn't need much improving. His problem is that he can't throw hard enough to really worry hitters with his fastball, and his secondary offerings aren't deceptive enough to induce a lot of swings and misses.
    I disagree about his command not needing improvement.

I think a big chunk of his gopher problem is because he gets wild in the strikezone and leaves pitches hanging up in the zone a little too often. As he matures and gains more command/consistency with his pitches, I expect we'll see his HR rate drop to something more in line with what you would expect out of a ground ball pitcher.

14. Likes:

M2 (03-26-2013),Revering4Blue (03-26-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I don't think it would be safe to say he'd be "mediocre".

Inconsistent, sure.

Chapman at 150 IP with 10k per 9 and an era in the mid 4's is what I'd expect.
    An era in the mid 4's is mediocre.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I disagree about his command not needing improvement.

I think a big chunk of his gopher problem is because he gets wild in the strikezone and leaves pitches hanging up in the zone a little too often. As he matures and gains more command/consistency with his pitches, I expect we'll see his HR rate drop to something more in line with what you would expect out of a ground ball pitcher.
    Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I personally wonder how much of the Anti-Leake comments stem from this one silly episode?

He was cleared of the shoplifting charge. He bought the wrong size shirts, took them back and swapped them out for what he wanted. Anyone who's gone into Macy's or any other department store during the day knows there are not enough staff on the floor. So he got tired of waiting for someone to show up and took care of the problem himself. Problem was he got caught, and he didn't have his receipt with him.

Bad decision - yes. Does it make him "an immature headcase"? No.
    I can't buy this expanation. Why? Because it is fed to shoplifting defendants. I have prosecuted multiple shoplifting cases and every single one of them claimed the same defense. It is the equivalent of the DUI defense that you were in an accident and then started drinking while you were waiting for the cops. Shoplifters claim it because it is hard to disprove. Unless you have video of them entering the store empty handed, the claim can sow doubt. In one case we actually showed the guy entering empty handed and his explanation was that he had entered earlier in the day with the jersey he wanted to exchange and hung it on the rack and then left the store, so our video was him re-entering the store. Amazingly, the judge bought that. One of only two cases I ever lost... It still rankles.

Macy's has no real incentive to push the issue, so their decision to settle carries no weight with me. Our judicial creed is that the government must treat someone as innocent until they are proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. It does not limit the opinions and actions of private citizens, however. I believe Mike Leake was caught while stealing.

That said, this has no affect on how I view him as a pitcher. He was an immature kid put into the limelight overnight. Shoplifting does not tell me much about the person. Shoplifting is not the type of crime that exposes severe character flaws; at least not if you only have evidence of one occurrence.

Turn Off Ads?