Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 364

Thread: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

  1. #76
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,794

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Randy, not saying you did. but go through the thread. look at how many times Chapman's been called a headcase or some such. that his off field decisions preclude him from being a successful starter. It's crap. because you could use the same excuses to say he can't be a good closer.

    The truth is simple.. Can he pitch effectively as a starter. The Reds believed so last spring. Chapman had stated for 2 seasons he prefers to start, and Dusty ignored that. Now that he has stated a closer's preference, Dusty relishes that opinion.

    Seems cut and dried to me. This decision is all Dusty Baker. And it won't surprise me one bit if we see Price exiting soon.
    Bolded for truth.

    I am sure Bryan Price felt the Chapman decision was a swift kick to the nuts. It has to be a big embarrassment for Price to be associated with such an old-school backward-thinking decision. Price is considered one of the smartest, most forward-thinking pitching coaches in all of baseball. Many people think he is hands-down the best since Dave Duncan retired. Price could very well be humiliated by being over-ruled by Dusty Baker. A chance to develop an arm like Aroldis Chapman's comes around once in a lifetime for a pitching coach and I am sure Price will always be bitter over being denied the opportunity to develop him properly. I would not be at all surprised if Bryan Price decides to leave for a team where he has complete control over the pitching staff. If moving Chapman back to the bullpen ends up costing the Reds the talents of Bryan Price it will go down in history as even a dumber decision than it already is.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,966

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    FYI, Here is how much I care about the shirt stealing incident:

  4. #78
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,281

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    The evil cabal of Dusty is to blame for all that ails us... of course Chapman said he preferred the BP, he then only pitched 8 innings and then Walt made an announcement that all agreed that the BP was where he'd go this year.

    But the Jedi mind tricks of Dusty will surely ruin us all.

    Nah... I don't buy it

  5. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (03-27-2013), jimbo (03-26-2013), RANDY IN INDY (03-26-2013), Revering4Blue (03-26-2013), Scrap Irony (03-27-2013)

  6. #79
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,932

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I didn't make any excuses. I said he made a mistake. It has nothing to do with his pitching performance or lack of. Leake's a pretty cool customer on the mound. Doesn't seem to rattle easily. Any immaturity off the field doesn't seem to translate on the field.
    No you didn't, but another poster did, the one that I originally quoted. I also never said it had anything at all to do with him on the field. Just that we shouldn't be making excuses for what he did.

  7. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,754

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    FYI, Here is how much I care about the shirt stealing incident:


    What does that not surprise me, that you think stealing the odd t-shirt is not a sin......

  8. Likes:

    Patrick Bateman (03-26-2013)

  9. #81
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,645

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Bolded for truth.

    I am sure Bryan Price felt the Chapman decision was a swift kick to the nuts. It has to be a big embarrassment for Price to be associated with such an old-school backward-thinking decision. Price is considered one of the smartest, most forward-thinking pitching coaches in all of baseball. Many people think he is hands-down the best since Dave Duncan retired. Price could very well be humiliated by being over-ruled by Dusty Baker. A chance to develop an arm like Aroldis Chapman's comes around once in a lifetime for a pitching coach and I am sure Price will always be bitter over being denied the opportunity to develop him properly. I would not be at all surprised if Bryan Price decides to leave for a team where he has complete control over the pitching staff. If moving Chapman back to the bullpen ends up costing the Reds the talents of Bryan Price it will go down in history as even a dumber decision than it already is.
    Wow, what a bunch of baseless assumption. You really think that Price is so embarrassed by what you characterize as an "old-school backward -thinking decision," that he's going to pack his bags and leave a great situation as what he has now? Do you really know for fact that he is against moving Chapman back to closer? I have no inside information as you seem to have, but he has never come across to me as being such an pouty little baby, even if he is against it. Besides, there is NO pitching coach anywhere that is always going to agree with every decision the FO or manager makes. That doesn't mean they are going to run away every time there is a disagreement.

    The hyperbole level has reached DEFCON 1 in some of these threads.

  10. Likes:

    RANDY IN INDY (03-26-2013), REDREAD (03-26-2013), Revering4Blue (03-26-2013), Scrap Irony (03-27-2013), Steve4192 (03-26-2013)

  11. #82
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,932

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Wow, what a bunch of baseless assumption. You really think that Price is so embarrassed by what you characterize as an "old-school backward -thinking decision," that he's going to pack his bags and leave a great situation as what he has now? Do you really know for fact that he is against moving Chapman back to closer? I have no inside information as you seem to have, but he has never come across to me as being such an pouty little baby, even if he is against it. Besides, there is NO pitching coach anywhere that is always going to agree with every decision the FO or manager makes. That doesn't mean they are going to run away every time there is a disagreement.

    The hyperbole level has reached DEFCON 1 in some of these threads.
    To be fair, Bryan Price resigned from the Diamondbacks when Bob Melvin was fired (he came over with Melvin for that job). So I think there could be at least a little something to the "he could pack his bags and take his talents elsewhere" thing, though I certainly don't think he would resign, rather just take a job elsewhere when his current contract is up. Not saying I believe he will, because I have no clue, but that it is possible and we have at least something, albeit small and not entirely the same situation, to base it on.

  12. #83
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,794

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Wow, what a bunch of baseless assumption. You really think that Price is so embarrassed by what you characterize as an "old-school backward -thinking decision," that he's going to pack his bags and leave a great situation as what he has now? Do you really know for fact that he is against moving Chapman back to closer? I have no inside information as you seem to have, but he has never come across to me as being such an pouty little baby, even if he is against it. Besides, there is NO pitching coach anywhere that is always going to agree with every decision the FO or manager makes. That doesn't mean they are going to run away every time there is a disagreement.

    The hyperbole level has reached DEFCON 1 in some of these threads.
    I don't think your rude attacks are necessary.

    Yes I think he is embarrassed. Just check the advanced baseball sites to see how stupid they think the decision was.

    If you have a once-in-a-lifetime arm to develop and you are denied the opportunity and over-ruled in a such a high profile manner then yes I can see how a top-notch pitching coach could decide to move on to greener pastures. He has already been with several teams so I think there is plenty of reason to think he won't hesitate to move again. He would be a HUGE loss for the Reds.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 03-26-2013 at 04:45 PM.

  13. #84
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I don't think your rude attacks are necessary.

    Yes I think he is embarrassed. Just check the advanced baseball sites to see how stupid they think the decision was.

    If you have a once-in-a-lifetime arm to develop and you are denied the opportunity then yes I can see how a top-notch pitching coach could decide to move on to greener pastures. He has already been with several teams so I think there is plenty of reason to think he won't hesitate to move again. He would be a HUGE loss for the Reds.
    With all due respect, there is nothing concrete to suggest that Price is embarrassed, and to assume that is the case is hyperbole. Price is in a situation where he "just may" be in line to get the manager's job in Cincinnati, sooner than later. Not a bad position to be in.

    As far as Chapman is concerned, they made the move they feel is best for the team for the upcoming season. If they would have inserted him into the rotation, they would have felt that was the best move for the team. Either way, I doubt seriously that one individual made the decision.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  14. #85
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The evil cabal of Dusty is to blame for all that ails us... of course Chapman said he preferred the BP, he then only pitched 8 innings and then Walt made an announcement that all agreed that the BP was where he'd go this year.

    But the Jedi mind tricks of Dusty will surely ruin us all.

    Nah... I don't buy it
    woy, for two straight seasons Chapman stated he wanted to start. this is the first time he's stated he wants to close. Dusty has never said a positive thing about him wanting to start.

    An announcement was leaked, then retracted. prior to that Jocketty said they take player preference into consideration, but that they don't always get what they want.

    So, it seems, Jocketty signed him to be a starter. Price was in multiple interviews this past off season talking about how Chapman as a starter was the best thing, seemed very excited about it. Every time it was mentioned to Baker, in interviews or caravans, he seemed rankled by the very question... from all reports.

    Maybe these were the droids we were looking for after all.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  15. #86
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,645

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be fair, Bryan Price resigned from the Diamondbacks when Bob Melvin was fired (he came over with Melvin for that job). So I think there could be at least a little something to the "he could pack his bags and take his talents elsewhere" thing, though I certainly don't think he would resign, rather just take a job elsewhere when his current contract is up. Not saying I believe he will, because I have no clue, but that it is possible and we have at least something, albeit small and not entirely the same situation, to base it on.
    That's fair enough and I would agree with you to an extent. But, that's a lot different though than claiming he may very well leave because he may have been "humiliated" over a disagreement with a particular pitcher's role on the team. Bryan Price seems to me as being much bigger and better than that and I'm sure he realizes he may not always see eye to eye on everything the FO decides on with player personnel and development. For all we know, he may have supported the decision.

    The post I referred to was nothing but a lot of loose assumption.

  16. #87
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    That's fair enough and I would agree with you to an extent. But, that's a lot different though than claiming he may very well leave because he may have been "humiliated" over a disagreement with a particular pitcher's role on the team. Bryan Price seems to me as being much bigger and better than that and I'm sure he realizes he may not always see eye to eye on everything the FO decides on with player personnel and development. For all we know, he may have supported the decision.

    The post I referred to was nothing but a lot of loose assumption.
    I didn't say humiliated. I said i believe it could herald his exit. He's the pitching coach, the top authority on pitching in the organization, and he was just overruled regarding the best arm in the organization.

    That'd tick me off enough to leave if my contract expired.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  17. #88
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,645

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I don't think your rude attacks are necessary.

    Yes I think he is embarrassed. Just check the advanced baseball sites to see how stupid they think the decision was.
    Rude attacks? Seriously, that wasn't my intent, but I apologize if it came across as that.

    And I'm sorry, but I really don't care what any baseball sites say about the decision, they are not inside Price's head and are most likely not privy to the discussions behind closed doors that surrounded it. Jocketty & friends have accomplished enough with this team over the last three seasons that I trust their expertise in the matter, until proven otherwise.

  18. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    1,377

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Before spring training, when talking about Chapman, Price said last spring (2012) Chapman was showing everything they wanted to see from him as a starting pitcher -- command of multiple pitches to left- and right-handed hitters in different counts. But then they had the injuries and Chapman was moved to the pen. Price said as last season went along, Chapman lost that command and became primarily a fastball pitcher. He said this spring they wanted to see if he could get back to where he was last spring.

    Now ... isn't it possible they didn't see that same multi-pitch, multi-count command? Isn't it possible that in his limited spring appearances and all the mound sessions we don't see or see reported on, it started to become apparent that he wasn't ready to start? That he still was that fastball pitcher and he couldn't command those other pitches well enough?

    Of course, that is just going to add fuel to the fire to those who think Chapman should have been starting last season, but it's hard to argue the organizational decision when you consider the bullpen injuries at the time.

    I wish the guy could start, but it's not as simple as everyone seems to think it is.

  19. #90
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,645

    Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I didn't say humiliated.
    I wasn't referring to what you said, but someone else did say exactly that.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25