Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with Ludwick?

Re: What's going on with Ludwick?

Choo's a .300 hitter against righties and .250 against lefties over his career. Hopefully Heisey will get plenty of time against the latter. In any event, left handers have not been this teams problem over the past few years.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I don't mean to be quarrelsome this afternoon, but how exactly is Choo struggling against lefties? Looking at the stats page for the Reds, it shows that he's 4 for 8 against lefthanders with an OPS of 1.056. I do agree that Heisey, as Dusty has said, is an integral cog for the team this year to keep the other outfielders fresh.
    According to Baseball-Reference, in 2012, in 216 plate appearances against lefthanded pitchers, Choo batted .199. In a little over 900 plate appearances though, he is a career .249 hitter.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Veterans go to spring training to "get their work in" -- unless he's seeing a doctor, I wouldn't care a bit about what any vet does in the spring.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    According to Baseball-Reference, in 2012, in 216 plate appearances against lefthanded pitchers, Choo batted .199. In a little over 900 plate appearances though, he is a career .249 hitter.
    Sorry, the way you wrote it made it sound like you were talking about the present situation. But I'm not sure it's fair to isolate one bad year (even if it was the preceding one). Likewise, just breaking apart his career numbers, it looks like there's some lefties he's hit quite well. I'm not terribly worried about it. The bench guys will get their playing time and we'll keep everybody fresh.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Choo's a .300 hitter against righties and .250 against lefties over his career. Hopefully Heisey will get plenty of time against the latter. In any event, left handers have not been this teams problem over the past few years.
    What is really interesting about this is that Ludwick is traditionally much better against Righties then he is lefties (2011 and 2009 are exceptions but not by alot and 11 was injury plagued). Which is not what i would have expected. That outfield could potentially be held pretty dormant against LHP.

Luddy with another 0-fer on Monday (0 for 4), but no K's. 4 for 36 and 1 walk this spring.
    Ludwick is the one position player I worry about most. Outside of Arroyo, I believe he is the oldest player on the team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Luddy with another 0-fer on Monday (0 for 4), but no K's. 4 for 36 and 1 walk this spring.
    Ludwick is the one position player I worry about most. Outside of Arroyo, I believe he is the oldest player on the team this year.
    If you are worried about him now be prepared to worry for a long time if his struggles continue. After all since he had the slow start last season it is not like the reds are going to, or should cut his playing time if he struggles first 2 months. If they did that last year they would've missed out on his really nice season. He would have to struggle really far into the season this time around for reds to do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Ludwick did hit the ball hard three times tonight and was trying to go up the middle or to right. Those are encouraging signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    What is really interesting about this is that Ludwick is traditionally much better against Righties then he is lefties (2011 and 2009 are exceptions but not by alot and 11 was injury plagued). Which is not what i would have expected. That outfield could potentially be held pretty dormant against LHP.
    Heisey is the same throughout his career. Heisey's career OPS is actually .150 higher against righties than against lefties. If he didn't have to face lefties, he could be an above average hitter . Strange that they would have so much more success against RHP. As much as Choo has struggled against LHP in his career, he is actually markedly better than Heisey. That said, Heisey's sample size against lefties is still relatively small, and I would love to see him get decent playing time this year.

Ludwick already collected his pay check

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Ludwick already collected his pay check
    We can like posts here now, where is the dislike post option?

13. Likes:

Crumbley (03-20-2013),kaldaniels (03-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    We can like posts here now, where is the dislike post option?
    Consider my like for your post a dislike for his.

15. Likes:

Red Raindog (03-20-2013)

Two words: SPRING TRAINING.

Ludwick will be fine.

Geez, some people on here are a little bit panic prone if you ask me.

Ludwick hit .283 last spring and then started the season by hitting under .200 the first quarter of the season. Cozart hit .345 with a OPS just over .900 then ended up with a line of .246/.288/.399/.687 last year.

Eric Hosmer lead 2012 ST in hits with 33, but it took him 167 AB in the regular season to reach that number on his way to hitting .232. The NL and AL's ST batting champs hit .231 and .192 during the regular season. Pujols was tied for the ST lead in HR' and hit .383 with 20 RBI but didn't hit his first HR until his 28th game, and needed 36 game to get and stay over .200 and 43 games to reach 20 RBI.

Spring Training is a lot like those Las Vegas ads with what happens there stays there as it has very little correlation with what happen when the real games start.

Ludwick had a very low BABIP the first couple of months last year. When that "normalized" was when he seemingly turned the corner.

Turn Off Ads?