Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's going on with Ludwick?

Re: What's going on with Ludwick?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Ludwick had a very low BABIP the first couple of months last year. When that "normalized" was when he seemingly turned the corner.
    Is there a way to look at someones BABIP up to a certain date of a season? Haven't been able to find a way on BRef or Fangraphs. Figure I was missing something easy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Is there a way to look at someones BABIP up to a certain date of a season? Haven't been able to find a way on BRef or Fangraphs. Figure I was missing something easy.
    I don't know of one. I remember posting last year about how horrendous his BABIP was- maybe in May or so but I was looking at the stats at the time.

Edit: Page 6 of this thread had the BABIP at .244 in late June
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...k+babip&page=6
    Last edited by klw; 03-20-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Ludwick was a great signing last year as he was due to rebound. This year... I'm not so sure.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    You can look up a person's BABIP between any two points in the season on baseball-reference.com.

Go to game logs.
    click on which two games you want the period to cover. Voila!

I hope that was clear. If not, I will try again.

PS Ludwick's BABIP from Opening Day until May 15th was .216.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-20-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    You can look up a person's BABIP between any two points in the season on baseball-reference.com.

Go to game logs.
    click on which two games you want the period to cover. Voila!

I hope that was clear. If not, I will try again.

PS Ludwick's BABIP from Opening Day until May 15th was .216.
    Ok cool thanks. That is what I normally do but since it didn't list BABIP as stat I didn't think it would work. But it does pop up when you choose the games. Thanks!

A follow up does anyone now know how to do the same thing for line drive rates and such. Was curious if Ludwick started to hit the ball harder at a much higher rate?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Ludwick was a great signing last year as he was due to rebound. This year... I'm not so sure.
    This year he may be due to debound.

I don't worry about it so much because I consider Ludwick a value-added player rather than an essential. If he can deliver something like last season, then the Reds have a pretty scary lineup. If he can't then Heisey and Paul can cover for him in the short-term and there's still plenty of quality bats to handle the middle lineup duties on this team.

If the team can cover for the loss of Votto for much of last season, it can handle Ludwick not earning his contract.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (03-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This year he may be due to debound.

I don't worry about it so much because I consider Ludwick a value-added player rather than an essential. If he can deliver something like last season, then the Reds have a pretty scary lineup. If he can't then Heisey and Paul can cover for him in the short-term and there's still plenty of quality bats to handle the middle lineup duties on this team.

If the team can cover for the loss of Votto for much of last season, it can handle Ludwick not earning his contract.
    If the bar is simply "better than Heisey/Paul", than I'm not worried about Ludwick at all. I know that's not the point you were trying to make, but I think even if Ludwick declines a bit, it's not a horrible mistake to bring him back.

The Reds have no one on the farm to play LF, and really no one other than Ludwick in the current organization. Resigning Ludwick makes a lot more sense than the other FA OFers that were available. It buys the Reds some time to come up with a longterm solution.

Anyhow, the price for bringing Ludwick back was giving him a 2 year deal. I think that's reasonable. It sure would've sucked to have a gaping hole in LF this year because we are worried about 2014. It's time to win now. Man, it feels great to say that

I doubt Ludwick will have as strong of a 2nd half as he did last season (he was just amazing then), but I hope he gets off to a better start in the beginning of the season. Honestly, Frasier is another guy we have to worry about regressing this year, IMO. Maybe even Cozart. Hopefully not, but that's just the nature of the game.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

11. Likes:

remdog (03-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If the bar is simply "better than Heisey/Paul", than I'm not worried about Ludwick at all. I know that's not the point you were trying to make, but I think even if Ludwick declines a bit, it's not a horrible mistake to bring him back.

The Reds have no one on the farm to play LF, and really no one other than Ludwick in the current organization. Resigning Ludwick makes a lot more sense than the other FA OFers that were available. It buys the Reds some time to come up with a longterm solution.

Anyhow, the price for bringing Ludwick back was giving him a 2 year deal. I think that's reasonable. It sure would've sucked to have a gaping hole in LF this year because we are worried about 2014. It's time to win now. Man, it feels great to say that

I doubt Ludwick will have as strong of a 2nd half as he did last season (he was just amazing then), but I hope he gets off to a better start in the beginning of the season. Honestly, Frasier is another guy we have to worry about regressing this year, IMO. Maybe even Cozart. Hopefully not, but that's just the nature of the game.
    While not at all ideal, we shouldn't ignore the possibility of Henry Rodriguez at 3B and Frazier in LF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

13. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    While not at all ideal, we shouldn't ignore the possibility of Henry Rodriguez at 3B and Frazier in LF.
    I guess that's possible, but Henry Rod only OPSed a combined 680 with all the clubs he played for last year.
    He seemed overmatched in the limited time he got with the Reds.
    He doesn't seem ready yet, although it is a possible fallback plan if Ludwick flops.
    I think I'd be more inclined to ride it out with Ludwick/Heisey/Paul if Ludwick did flop.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?