Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lohse - Reds dark horse?

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Lohse - Reds dark horse?

Warning - this comes from ESPN Insider

Jason Churchill says the Reds may be a dark horse with Lohse -- he notes they have the 28th pick in the 1st round but also have the 37th pick.

He opines the Reds may move on Lohse if Chapman is moved back to the bullpen.

Would certainly complicate several positions on the pitching staff.

You heard it here first!
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lohse - Reds dark horse?

Honestly, I really would be too surprised if it happened. The only hindrance, IMO, is where the $ will come from.

Wow, I think this would be a great move. It sounds like Chapman to the rotation might not be a done deal. There have been way too many quotes from people close to the situation doubting the wisdom of the move. Loshe is a major upgrade over Mike Leake.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they can do the finance part of it. Looking like Chapman back to the pen. Lohse would fit in nicely as the 5th starter.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I could see a one year deal

I just don't buy it. We already have six starters under team control, why get another? I know, it frees Chapman to move back to the pen, but at what cost?

Kyle Lohse made $12 million per year each of the last two years. Scott Boras is trying to find him a multiple year deal, and is having a hard time. Kyle is now 34 years old, and is seen as wanting too much money for anyone to sign him.

I see these rumors as Scott Boras and his agency trying to spin a market for Lohse. This rumor actually tells me that he may sign with the Cardinals again. Get St. Louis worried that he will sign with the division rival Reds, and they will spring for the dough and the multiple years.

I also think Lohse is coming off two career best seasons, and is unlikely to repeat. His 2.86 ERA and 16-3 record in 2012 are outliers. His K rate last year was only 6.1/ 9 innings, and his BABIP was a fluky low .262. Just three years ago, Lohse ran a .364 BABIP, and his ERA was 6.55 that year.

As for me, I want no part of over paying Lohse for his extremely lucky 2012 season by giving him big money for a multiple year deal.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

8. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (03-18-2013)

Why?

Really why?

Because it creates clickable content that generates ad revenue.

10. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-18-2013),pahster (03-18-2013),Slyder (03-18-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-18-2013),The Operator (03-18-2013),wlf WV (03-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Kyle Lohse made $12 million per year each of the last two years. Scott Boras is trying to find him a multiple year deal, and is having a hard time. Kyle is now 34 years old, and is seen as wanting too much money for anyone to sign him.
    They are a couple of weeks into spring training. Maybe 12 million, but no multiyear contract is coming his way now unless the cash is seriously discounted.

Not sure that the reds would have the cash for a 12 million 1 year contract.
    Not sure that the reds would have a place for him on their roster.

Walt has surprised us in the past.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

A one year deal would be awesome.

A multiyear deal would be a little scary..

Here's a question.. Arroyo is in the last year of his deal.. Suppose the choice comes down to either Lohse or Arroyo after 2013, who would you pick. In other words, we can sign Lohse for multiple years now, but then we have to let Arroyo walk.. OR we can not sign Lohse now and have enough money to keep Arroyo around (if we chose to do so).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Warning - this comes from ESPN Insider

Jason Churchill says the Reds may be a dark horse with Lohse -- he notes they have the 28th pick in the 1st round but also have the 37th pick.

He opines the Reds may move on Lohse if Chapman is moved back to the bullpen.

Would certainly complicate several positions on the pitching staff.

You heard it here first!
    LOL, if it came from ESPN Insoider, how are we hearing it here firt J/K, I dont think this will happen though. I agree it is a Boras trick to make it seem we have more interest than likely do, trying to get Cards to get nervous and make a higher offer then they prob wanted.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Here's a question.. Arroyo is in the last year of his deal.. Suppose the choice comes down to either Lohse or Arroyo after 2013, who would you pick. In other words, we can sign Lohse for multiple years now, but then we have to let Arroyo walk.. OR we can not sign Lohse now and have enough money to keep Arroyo around (if we chose to do so).
    I'm not sure we want either on a multi-year contract. But here is the comparison.

Career stats:
    Arroyo has a 124-115 career record, with a 4.25 ERA. He has a 1.305 WHIP, and a 5.9 K/9 rate. ERA + of 104.
    Lohse has a 118-109 career record, with a 4.45 ERA. He has a 1.369 WHIP, and a 5.6 K/9 rate. ERA+ of 97.

Arroyo has the better career to date. Which guy relies more on control and finesse? Who will age better? Probably Arroyo, IMO.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I just don't buy it. We already have six starters under team control, why get another? I know, it frees Chapman to move back to the pen, but at what cost?

I see these rumors as Scott Boras and his agency trying to spin a market for Lohse. This rumor actually tells me that he may sign with the Cardinals again. Get St. Louis worried that he will sign with the division rival Reds, and they will spring for the dough and the multiple years.

I also think Lohse is coming off two career best seasons, and is unlikely to repeat. His 2.86 ERA and 16-3 record in 2012 are outliers. His K rate last year was only 6.1/ 9 innings, and his BABIP was a fluky low .262. Just three years ago, Lohse ran a .364 BABIP, and his ERA was 6.55 that year.

As for me, I want no part of over paying Lohse for his extremely lucky 2012 season by giving him big money for a multiple year deal.
    To be fair, 2009 and 2010 were injury-plagued seasons for Lohse (he was out 138 days over those two seasons including forearm surgery and a groin issue).

The good? He has bounced back to prove he is durable pitching 400 innings over the last two season. He's had a walk rate (BB/9) below 2 over those 400 innings as well. Potential downside? His command has become so good largely because he's primarily a sinker/slider/change up pitcher now. In other words, outside of his very good change, he induces a lot of contact. He's also going to enter his age 34 season assuming someone signs him.

He'd be a good arm for just about anyone to pick up. But the rub is how much and for how long. He was extended a qualifying offer so signing him would cost a lot of teams a draft pick. He's also got Boras as an agent. That said, what he doesn't appear to have is a market. He might be available for a calculus that works regarding the "how much and for how long" part of the equation.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Why?

Really why?

Because it creates clickable content that generates ad revenue.
    Clickable content would make more sense if it was a free article, and not already an Insider article.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Clickable content would make more sense if it was a free article, and not already an Insider article.
    Unless you consider generating bs stories to create the illusion of " insider" material as clickable content

I certainly do

Bleacher Report like

18. Likes:

Jr's Boy (03-19-2013),pahster (03-18-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-19-2013)

Absolutely NO on Loshe. We had him. He was a waste of money then. Did he pitch well for St Louis, yes. Did they give up on him, yes. Why would we want him?

Turn Off Ads?