Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lohse - Reds dark horse?

Re: Lohse - Reds dark horse?

At what point can a team (that would lose a pick) sign him without losing a draft pick?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    A one year deal would be awesome.

A multiyear deal would be a little scary..

Here's a question.. Arroyo is in the last year of his deal.. Suppose the choice comes down to either Lohse or Arroyo after 2013, who would you pick. In other words, we can sign Lohse for multiple years now, but then we have to let Arroyo walk.. OR we can not sign Lohse now and have enough money to keep Arroyo around (if we chose to do so).
    Neither IMO

There is no reason to pay a premium for a fourth/fifth starter. The Reds would be better off staying away from expensive veteran free agents like Lohse and letting Arroyo walk after 2013. I would be very comfortable with a combination of Chapman, Leake, LeCure, Cingrani, and Corcino filling out the bottom two spots of the Reds rotation in 2014.

No, we'd probably only get Bad Kyle.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    At what point can a team (that would lose a pick) sign him without losing a draft pick?
    After the draft occurs.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/k...l-pagan-031713
    The Cardinals made Lohse a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer to ensure that they received draft-pick compensation once he signed with another club.

That compensation, however, will disappear if Lohse waits until after the draft - which takes place from June 6 to 8 - to reach agreement with his next team.

Lohse’s agent, Scott Boras, has downplayed that possibility, saying that he is talking with clubs that are interested in his client. But Lohse has been a free agent for 4½ months. And the draft is only about 2½ months away.

If Lohse held out until after the draft, the Cardinals would lose not just a pick between the first and second rounds, but also the accompanying pool money. Lohse would bring the Cardinals the No. 29 selection, which last year was valued at $1.625 million. Additional pool money allows teams greater flexibility when signing their picks.
    Last edited by klw; 03-18-2013 at 12:35 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

With Leake struggling in ST, although it's only ST...........and Chapman and his dad, Dusty Baker, using the media to get him back to the Closer position........I wouldn't mind this move at all.

I see no way financially it could be done. But the Reds never fail to surprise.

And if it hurts the Cardinals, I'm even more for it. LOL.

I'm all for it on a one year deal reasonably priced. He's been very good the last two years. And St. Louis doesn't have as good of a defense as Cincy, either. That being said, obviously GABP is a hitter's park and he struggled here the first time around. But he's added a sinker since then, and should be able to be fairly productive. If he bombs, we still have Leake. The more depth the better. I'm all for it.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    LOL, if it came from ESPN Insoider, how are we hearing it here firt J/K, I dont think this will happen though. I agree it is a Boras trick to make it seem we have more interest than likely do, trying to get Cards to get nervous and make a higher offer then they prob wanted.
    I don't know how do tongue in cheek!
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    With Leake struggling in ST, although it's only ST...........and Chapman and his dad, Dusty Baker, using the media to get him back to the Closer position........I wouldn't mind this move at all.
    Mike Leake is struggling in Spring Training? Only thing I heard was he had a lousy outing his last time out, but prior to that, he'd been very good. Good enough to put some pressure on the club viz Chapman moving to the rotation.

I'll leave the rest of your Chapman/Dusty snark be. It speaks for itself.

But signing Lohse would be utterly foolish and an absolute waste of resources, IMO.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

10. Likes:

757690 (03-18-2013),919191 (03-19-2013),bigredmechanism (03-18-2013),JayStubbs (03-18-2013),jimbo (03-18-2013),Number_Fourteen (03-18-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-19-2013),westofyou (03-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    With Leake struggling in ST, although it's only ST.....
    Leake isn't really "struggling" in spring training. He has had one really bad outing that made his ERA jump way up.

Here are Leake's spring starts to date:

1. Feb 28th, 2 IP, 1 ER, 3Ks
    2. March 5th, 3 IP, 0 ER, 2Ks
    3. March 11th, 3 IP. 0 ERs, Simulated game vs. Reds AAA team, doesn't count in spring stats.
    4. March 16th, 3.1 IP, 5 ERs, 1K

So, one bad game. Small sample size. No worries about Leake....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

12. Likes:

RadfordVA (03-18-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Leake isn't really "struggling" in spring training. He has had one really bad outing that made his ERA jump way up.

Here are Leake's spring starts to date:

1. Feb 28th, 2 IP, 1 ER, 3Ks
    2. March 5th, 3 IP, 0 ER, 2Ks
    3. March 11th, 3 IP. 0 ERs, Simulated game vs. Reds AAA team, doesn't count in spring stats.
    4. March 16th, 3.1 IP, 5 ERs, 1K

So, one bad game. Small sample size. No worries about Leake....
    Leake has a WHIP of 1.90. He has been giving up hits left and right. While I haven't seen him, that is a tad concerning, no?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Leake has a WHIP of 1.90. He has been giving up hits left and right. While I haven't seen him, that is a tad concerning, no?
    His WHIP was 1.20 going into the game on the 16th (not counting the excellent simulated game). Up to that point, he had given up 6 hits and 0 BBs in the two prior official games, and the one simulated game, combined eight innings.

On the 16th, Leake gave up 10 hits and 0 BBs. There was also an error by Votto and one by Hanigan. Hence only 5 of the 7 runs were earned. Still, it was one bad outing in one spring training game.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    His WHIP was 1.20 going into the game on the 16th (not counting the excellent simulated game). Up to that point, he had given up 6 hits and 0 BBs in the two prior official games, and the one simulated game, combined eight innings.

On the 16th, Leake gave up 10 hits and 0 BBs. There was also an error by Votto and one by Hanigan. Hence only 5 of the 7 runs were earned. Still, it was one bad outing in one spring training game.
    Gotcha. I didn't go back and check anything out, I just knew his WHIP was 1.90 coming into today.

I am of the belief thst this staff will look a bit different in 2014....no Bronson, no Homer and depending on how Leake does this year we could move him if he don't start pitching like a first round draft pick......if we can get Corcino and Cingrani to pitch like the starters we want them to be then I think we will be ok with Latos and Cueto manning the top spots but we really need a good AAA year from the 2 youngsters.....not to mention Stephenson, we truly need him just as bad to grow into a stud......

My opinion is you stay far away from Lohse, you let Bronson walk unless he takes a discount for 1-2 years and you trade Homer before the deadline this year and bring up one of the youngsters to fill Baileys void....hopefully homer can land us a stud in return if homer continues to mature like he did ala 2nd half 2012....I just don't see us paying 3 starters top end money and Homer is in line to start making money.....

In NONE of those cases do I see a need for Kyle Lohse.....I see no way he truly helps this team this year or next.....we have talent that is just as good as Kyle, why pay a premium for a guy who isn't going to help you more then the guys we already have on staff....and that's assuming chapman goes back to closing.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Lohse as fifth starter is probably value until you consider the money.

How could Lohse possibly be a bargain at OVER $13.3 million for 2013? Even if the Reds went 2/$20 or 3/$25 I want no parts of that...

Smells like a stinky agent placed story, I agree with those who caught the Boras ploy

19. Likes:

wlf WV (03-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?