Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worldwide Draft?

Salukifan2

Re: Worldwide Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'd probably have less problem with the amount of money if the bad contracts could be wiped out somehow. It could be argued that a team paying a lot of bad contracts are limited in paying more money to those deserved.
    Well the owners haven't made a big push to change how MLB contracts work and it's there money. So if they aren't up in arms over it, why are you?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Well the owners haven't made a big push to change how MLB contracts work and it's there money. So if they aren't up in arms over it, why are you?
    I hate slackers.

Salukifan2

I think ownership should start pushing incentive laden contracts more. For example Zack Greinke should have reachable incentives that will pay him 25 mil a year. Give him 10 mil guarantee and then incentives like AS appearance, starts, innings, ERA+, etc..

But the MLBPA is so strong i don't see it happening.

Rather than mlb becoming more like the NFL, I don't understand why the NFLPA doesn't push for their contracts to be more like the MLB. The NFL is worth more than twice as much as the MLB yet mlb players have the highest contracts. If Josh HAmilton, AP, and Joey Votto are worth 25mil+, then Tom Brady is worth at least $40 mil and so is Peyton Manning.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think ownership should start pushing incentive laden contracts more. For example Zack Greinke should have reachable incentives that will pay him 25 mil a year. Give him 10 mil guarantee and then incentives like AS appearance, starts, innings, ERA+, etc..

Rather than mlb becoming more like the NFL, I don't understand why the NFLPA doesn't push for their contracts to be more like the MLB. The NFL is worth more than twice as much as the MLB yet mlb players have the highest contracts. If Josh HAmilton, AP, and Joey Votto are worth 25mil+, then Tom Brady is worth at least $40 mil and so is Peyton Manning.
    Of course the NFL has a salary cap and MLB doesn't. The NFL also has a salary floor.

Salukifan2

Mlb has a salary floor, it may not be as high as the nfl but its more than enough to live comfortably on. And it is a subject to the CBA. I dont get why the NFLPA, who just negotiated a new CBA didnt try to get more for its best players. QB is the most important position in all major american sports and they should be paid as such imo. Peyton Manning was bigger than the colts. He should have been paid as such

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Somehow, I don't see teams that have invested heavily in international academies and assembling vast networks of international scouts wanting to disrupt their talent pipeline to give everyone an equal crack at things.

We hear cries of "International Draft!" whenever some ridiculous posting fee requirement comes up for a Japanese import. You hear it a lot less when a dude like Johnny Cueto becomes an ace after being unearthed by a Reds scout and signed for pennies on the eventual dollar.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

8. Likes:

remdog (03-18-2013)

Actually, it's not the MLBPA. It's the owners doing it to themselves.
    Look at Greinke. The Dodgers wanted him bad enough to get that huge contract.
    Even if you completely evened out revenue among all teams, you'd still get someone that would take the risk on Grienke (similiar to what LA did)

In contrast, look at Lohse. He's obviously still asking for too much money, and no one has signed him yet. Noting the MLBPA can do about it. Either Lohse will sign a market deal or he'll sit out a year.

The point is, Grienke's market value is what he was given.
    Someone brought up Bobby Bonilla.. The Mets made that bizzare deal to buy out the remaining part of his contract. I assume there was some benefit to the Mets at the time, otherwise they wouldn't have offered it.. Can't blame Bonilla for being shrewd enough to accept their offer.

Yea, it sucks that the Reds have less money to spend on players than LA does, but that's really not the MLBPA's fault.. I doubt they'd disapprove of more revenue sharing, provided it meant more money going to the players.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'm not sure that I have ever heard (here or elsewhere) one real, logical hurdle in the way of moving towards an international draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I hate slackers.
    I'm working, but I'm not working for you!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm not sure that I have ever heard (here or elsewhere) one real, logical hurdle in the way of moving towards an international draft.
    The status quo benefits way too many teams.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The status quo benefits way too many teams.
    Not necessarily logical.

My argument against a worldwide draft is it kind of freezes the world of baseball where it is. Under the current system, teams have an incentive for going into China or India or eastern Europe or Brazil or Africa and trying to develop talent. Whatever they find or develop, they get to keep. Teams can scour the globe hunting for competitive advantage, and the side benefit is it will help grow the game.

My guess is an international draft would dissuade teams from looking for talent beyond the current horizon. They'd certainly curb their international player development activities. We've seen this in Puerto Rico. Prior to the draft expanding to include Puerto Rico, MLB teams would sign raw kids in the hopes they could be developed. Now teams have all but pulled out of Puerto Rico in terms of development, leaving that to be done at the local level and only bothering to draft a fairly small number of kids from the island.

From what I understand, the number of kids playing baseball in Puerto Rico compared to a generation has dropped precipitously. The next Carlos Beltran is probably kicking around a soccer ball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (03-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?