Turn Off Ads?

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Threaded View

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They shouldn't, but it is tradition because once upon a time when teams weren't raking in millions of dollars, it made sense to do that. Those days are long gone though.

I would much rather the schools just pay the kids $400,000 a year to play and have the kid have to pay tuition out of his pocket.
    Academic scholarships have been around long before sports. Universities weren't founded on the principle of "let's make a bunch of money educating people." They were founded on the principle of bringing together scholars and students to advance higher learning under the premise of academic freedom. Before universities, the only people who had access to higher learning were the clergy and the nobility. Universities allowed scholars and students to seek knowledge free from the control of the church and the empire. This in turn lead to the Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment, during which time philosophers free from control of church and state came up with many of the concepts that influenced the Founding Fathers of the US. In the history of Univerities, sports is a recent development, and something unheard of in many other countries. Making universities available only to those who can pay will result in a decline in the advancement in higher learning and an increase in the stratification of society.

By your logic, I suppose high schools shouldn't have sports programs either, since those don't make any money. All sports should only be offered by organizations that can generate a profit to justify their existence.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Likes:

coachpipe (07-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?