Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I can't believe anyone would even argue that. One only needs to look at any single of the many studies that have been done on coaches' salaries, AD salaries and conference commissioner salaries to see there are plenty of people getting rich.
    I can't believe some are apparently unwilling to admit that athletic revenue is substantially enhancing the education mission of major universities while trying to suggest football revenue is being directed to a few fat cats.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I can't believe some are apparently unwilling to admit that athletic revenue is substantially enhancing the education mission of major universities while trying to suggest football revenue is being directed to a few fat cats.
    It absolutely does. If I were a soccer players at a college, or the parent of a soccer player, I would be unbelievably thankful for the schools football and basketball programs. They've put my kid through college. But I'd argue with "substantially". For example, Ohio State gives out 400 athletic scholarships. In a student body of over 50,000, that is a fairly small number. (In the interest of full disclosure, I'm sure OSU would give out more but that is the maximum amount allowed by the NCAA for the sports OSU fields.)

As for the overall effect on a school, that is undeniable. OSU wouldn't be OSU without football Saturdays. I went to OU, and fall Saturdays were just another day. When I went to UK for graduate school, I got a feel for that sort of atmosphere and it was amazing. I would never argue that college sports don't have some sort of value. Ask Miami, whose applications jumped dramatically during the 80's when their football team got good.

But, none of those facts change the premise of the argument here. OSU fans wouldn't abandon their tailgating on Saturdays if Braxton Miller got a little money on top of his scholarship. Why would they care about money? All we are talking about is how the pie that already exists is divided.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The people with money don't care an ounce about them.

I am also not sure that your last sentence is true or not.
    As to my last sentence, you can't give the football players "a stipend" because their program makes money and baseball does not

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As to my last sentence, you can't give the football players "a stipend" because their program makes money and baseball does not
    Again, I just don't know if that is true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Again, I just don't know if that is true or not.
    It's absolutely NOT true. Title IX only applies to resources provided to female sports versus male sports. It has absolutely no applicability whatsoever on fairness of spending on major sports versus non-major sports.

The only issue, though, is that because spending has to be somewhat balanced, if you give stipends to 85 football players, that means you need to find somewhere close to 80 women athletes to give a stipend. Basically, the way Title IX is enforced/applied to athletics, is simply a matter of total money spent on the programs as a whole.
    Last edited by Brutus; 10-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Looks like this isn't going very far. Certainly nothing for Ed O'Bannon

The plaintiffs now no longer want a jury trial for this case.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-trial-vs-ncaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

There is a $40M settlement between the plaintiffs and the game makers. The suit against the NCAA is still ongoing.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...-licensing-arm
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Uh oh...this is getting serious...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...s-star-players

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Good.

Good.
    How is this good for anyone involved? Ohio State could sell #2, 10, 27, and 45 all for players who are long gone and have nothing to do with the current players. This could potentially hurt the student athletes who I have seen ideas of letting them profit from jersey sales and it also hurts the fans who want to buy a particular number.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How is this good for anyone involved? Ohio State could sell #2, 10, 27, and 45 all for players who are long gone and have nothing to do with the current players. This could potentially hurt the student athletes who I have seen ideas of letting them profit from jersey sales and it also hurts the fans who want to buy a particular number.
    It doesn't really matter which player, current or former, is inspiring fans to buy jerseys with that number; none of them are seeing a penny of it. If they were, this would be an entirely different discussion.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If the players and schools can agree to let both parties make money off of jersey sales, you can buy your #whatever jersey just fine.

If the players and schools can agree to let both parties make money off of jersey sales, you can buy your #whatever jersey just fine.
    Your response was "good" to teams limiting the jersey sales to certain numbers, none that correspond to current players. My question was, how is that good?

Turn Off Ads?