Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 394

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

  1. #91
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,107

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    I am not blaming Title IX for the rising costs of tuition at all. But I am saying that if you just cut all sports that can't support themselves, you could save students some actual money.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #92
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,154

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Okay, sorry for misunderstanding.
    I'm saying you're 100% wrong that cutting non revenue sports would actually save students money.

    Those sports are generally paid out of athletic dept donations. Now I suppose it's possible that if you cut out all the non-revenue sports the athletic dept donations would be just as high and you could transfer the dollars to either a) the general student body or b) the revenue sports athletes, but both scenarios seem unlikely. College sports is a charade, but a lot of it's interest depends on that charade. However fair or unfair that may be.

    I will say I tend to think an "Olympic model" where individual athletes are able to receive money from sources outside the university but were not paid directly by the university could be feasible.
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  4. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,170

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I think in order to better understand this entire topic, we need to ask a simple question. What is the purpose of college athletics? I'm not sure I could come up with a solid answer.
    If you ask that question I think you need to ask a few more. What is the purpose of high school sports? What is the purpose of little league? What's the purpose of youth soccer? What's the purpose of band? What's the purpose of choir?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

  5. #94
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    This article gets to the heart and true challenge of the issue, the fans.

    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...em-loving-ncaa
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  6. #95
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Here is the Daily Show's take on the NCAA.

    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...tly-fair-rules
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  7. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Okay, sorry for misunderstanding.
    I'm saying you're 100% wrong that cutting non revenue sports would actually save students money.

    Those sports are generally paid out of athletic dept donations.
    Now I suppose it's possible that if you cut out all the non-revenue sports the athletic dept donations would be just as high and you could transfer the dollars to either a) the general student body or b) the revenue sports athletes, but both scenarios seem unlikely. College sports is a charade, but a lot of it's interest depends on that charade. However fair or unfair that may be.

    I will say I tend to think an "Olympic model" where individual athletes are able to receive money from sources outside the university but were not paid directly by the university could be feasible.
    It's been 5-6 years since I took it, but during college I took a class that got into sports and some of the economics. In that class we read an article that said Ohio State and Univ of Texas were the only two completely self supported Div 1 college athletic departments. It's been a few years but I think any college athletic departments that support themselves completely through revenue sports/donations are in the strong minority.

  8. #97
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,440

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    FBS players do get paid. Dee Miller came down here to speak to the Ohio State alumni club this week. He said that the football players in his era (late 90s) received a monthly stipend of $600/month and that the current stipend is $1,300/month. It ain't NFL money. But it's enough to put groceries on the table and a fill the gas tank a few times.
    /r/reds

  9. #98
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,107

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    FBS players do get paid. Dee Miller came down here to speak to the Ohio State alumni club this week. He said that the football players in his era (late 90s) received a monthly stipend of $600/month and that the current stipend is $1,300/month. It ain't NFL money. But it's enough to put groceries on the table and a fill the gas tank a few times.
    That won't cover rent on a college campus.

    But, I am curious if anyone can find this information anywhere else. This if the first time I have ever heard of any such thing.

  10. #99
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    I'm pretty certain he's referring to the room and board allowance for players living off campus. Room and board is part of the scholarship, but if they're not in university housing they get a check to cover their expenses.
    Not all who wander are lost

  11. #100
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That won't cover rent on a college campus.

    But, I am curious if anyone can find this information anywhere else. This if the first time I have ever heard of any such thing.
    lol Doug you don't actually think that do you? If you do, you haven't been to a college campus for a long long time.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  12. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,154

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    lol Doug you don't actually think that do you? If you do, you haven't been to a college campus for a long long time.
    I was curious about that too. In Bloomington, even a nice 2 bedroom place is around $900-$1,000. Split it with a roomate or 3, and it's pretty cheap.

    That said, I don't think it should really impact the discussion of a player's "true earning potential."
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  13. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,821

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Ohio State football makes anywhere from $30-50M a year. A lot of that money goes back to supporting sports that lose money hand over fist. Still, the players should absolutely be fairly compensated and what they are getting now simply isn't enough at schools that truly rake in the money from football and basketball.

    Don't get me wrong, I love college football and basketball, but the athletes are being taken advantage of, big time. Cut all sports from colleges. Stick with educating. NFL/NBA, get your own development leagues.
    Plenty are getting paid in some way. Just have the NCAA continue to look the other way and all will be fine.

  14. Likes:

    Captain13 (04-17-2013), Revering4Blue (04-17-2013)

  15. #103
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Okay, sorry for misunderstanding.
    I'm saying you're 100% wrong that cutting non revenue sports would actually save students money.

    Those sports are generally paid out of athletic dept donations. Now I suppose it's possible that if you cut out all the non-revenue sports the athletic dept donations would be just as high and you could transfer the dollars to either a) the general student body or b) the revenue sports athletes, but both scenarios seem unlikely. College sports is a charade, but a lot of it's interest depends on that charade. However fair or unfair that may be.

    I will say I tend to think an "Olympic model" where individual athletes are able to receive money from sources outside the university but were not paid directly by the university could be feasible.
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ase/54955804/1

    According to this data, only the massive football schools have financially autonomous athletic departments. In 2011, my beloved Ohio University used $17 million from student fees to pay for athletics. That is a pretty hefty amount of money.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  16. #104
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,625

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    It's been 5-6 years since I took it, but during college I took a class that got into sports and some of the economics. In that class we read an article that said Ohio State and Univ of Texas were the only two completely self supported Div 1 college athletic departments. It's been a few years but I think any college athletic departments that support themselves completely through revenue sports/donations are in the strong minority.
    I'd heard the same statistic (though, I'd heard it was OSU, Texas and Alabama) a few years back.

    I'd bet that the explosion in television rights over the last few years has changed the calculus a little bit. The most recent data I can find is from 2008, and it looks like a lot of people roughly breaking even and a ton more losing money: http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  17. #105
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,107

    Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    lol Doug you don't actually think that do you? If you do, you haven't been to a college campus for a long long time.
    Certainly depends where you go to school. I had a friend going to school at Northwestern. Had 5 roommates. Rent was $5000 a month total. I have a friend who rents out a house in Clifton (U of Cincinnati). $2800 a month with 4 bedrooms and it isn't exactly "nice" or in a "nice area" (not that there are exactly nice areas in Clifton).


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25