Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...-ncaa-obannon/

Ohio State versus Mount Union in a regular-season football game? Wisconsin against Wisconsin-Whitewater in a regular-season basketball game?

This isn't an outreach program between Big Ten schools and their Division III neighbors. It's one possible future Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany envisions if the plaintiffs prevail in Ed O'Bannon vs. the NCAA. In a declaration filed last week in federal court in support of the NCAA's motion against class certification, Delany threatened that any outcome that results in athletes getting a piece of the schools' television revenue could force the schools of the Big Ten to de-emphasize athletics as the Ivy League's schools did decades ago.

"...it has been my longstanding belief that The Big Ten's schools would forgo the revenues in those circumstances and instead take steps to downsize the scope, breadth and activity of their athletic programs," Delany wrote. "Several alternatives to a 'pay for play' model exist, such as the Division III model, which does not offer any athletics-based grants-in-aid, and, among others, a need-based financial model. These alternatives would, in my view, be more consistent with The Big Ten's philosophy that the educational and lifetime economic benefits associated with a university education are the appropriate quid pro quo for its student athletes."
    For those who aren't following, this is a major case working it's way through the federal courts where the plaintiffs are attempting to get, via court judgement, a portion of the revenues being generated set-aside as payments for college athletes.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

I'm taking OSU -96

3. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-05-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...-ncaa-obannon/

For those who aren't following, this is a major case working it's way through the federal courts where the plaintiffs are attempting to get, via court judgement, a portion of the revenues being generated set-aside as payments for college athletes.
    Ohio State football makes anywhere from $30-50M a year. A lot of that money goes back to supporting sports that lose money hand over fist. Still, the players should absolutely be fairly compensated and what they are getting now simply isn't enough at schools that truly rake in the money from football and basketball.

Don't get me wrong, I love college football and basketball, but the athletes are being taken advantage of, big time. Cut all sports from colleges. Stick with educating. NFL/NBA, get your own development leagues.

5. Likes:

oneupper (08-21-2014),puca (03-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Ohio State football makes anywhere from $30-50M a year. A lot of that money goes back to supporting sports that lose money hand over fist. Still, the players should absolutely be fairly compensated and what they are getting now simply isn't enough at schools that truly rake in the money from football and basketball.

Don't get me wrong, I love college football and basketball, but the athletes are being taken advantage of, big time. Cut all sports from colleges. Stick with educating. NFL/NBA, get your own development leagues.
    Plenty are getting paid in some way. Just have the NCAA continue to look the other way and all will be fine.

7. Likes:

Captain13 (04-17-2013),Revering4Blue (04-17-2013)

Cut all sports from college? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Cut all sports from college? Really?
    Who knows? Maybe it just kills college football.

I could also see schools offering to pay players, but then say they don't get scholaships. Since they have to be a student at the school, they have to pay tuition, room and board themselves. So what they get in pay they end up losing in added costs in going to school. I think those proposing paying players need to look at the unintended consequences.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I think the athletes have a point about deserving the money. I also think that if they win, they'll eventually kill the golden goose of college athletics, which will be worse for student-athletes than it is for the universities themselves.

There are some ways around it, I suppose, like paying every student-athlete in every sport an equal stipend. But pretty much anything else they might do will kill the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think the athletes have a point about deserving the money. I also think that if they win, they'll eventually kill the golden goose of college athletics, which will be worse for student-athletes than it is for the universities themselves.

There are some ways around it, I suppose, like paying every student-athlete in every sport an equal stipend. But pretty much anything else they might do will kill the system.
    Why should the volleyball players make any money? Much less the same money as the football player?

Why should the volleyball players make any money? Much less the same money as the football player?
    My larger concern is whether players at Ohio U and Ohio State make the same money. If the answer is no, then forget about college sports. It's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    My larger concern is whether players at Ohio U and Ohio State make the same money. If the answer is no, then forget about college sports. It's over.
    Again though, why should they make the same money? They don't bring in the same money. Why should salesman A be paid the same as salesman B when salesman A is bringing in four times what salesman B is?

Nothing about college sports makes an ounce of sense. You bring my school millions and millions of dollars of profit? You get the same exact benefits as the athlete playing volleyball who costs the school all kinds of money.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Again though, why should they make the same money? They don't bring in the same money. Why should salesman A be paid the same as salesman B when salesman A is bringing in four times what salesman B is?

Nothing about college sports makes an ounce of sense. You bring my school millions and millions of dollars of profit? You get the same exact benefits as the athlete playing volleyball who costs the school all kinds of money.
    College sports are NPO's so there is no profit.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Also, I'm far from an expert on Title IX, but my guess is that the ladies will have to get paid as much as the men in total.

THe lawsuit has a lot of interesting implications and I think there are a number of valid points the NCAA can make, but IMO Delaney's comments were simply ridiculous.

His comments are nothing more than "Don't look at that man behind the curtain."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

If college sports become an actual semi-pro league, people are going to lose interest very, very quickly. We can all still pretend for now.

Delany threatened that any outcome that results in athletes getting a piece of the schools' television revenue could force the schools of the Big Ten to de-emphasize athletics as the Ivy League's schools did decades ago.
    The horror!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?