Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Plus, getting rid of title IX would basically guarantee no sports would be available for women, which if you're really in favor of, is borderline sexist.

2. Likes:

coachpipe (07-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I do think Wiggins should be allowed to go directly to the NBA. It's not exactly a tearjerking tragedy for him, but I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to play in the NBA now if he's ready (and apparently he is).

As for college majors that lose money, don't just about all of them lose money? Colleges need big money donations to keep the doors open, and big time college athltics is a big driver of those donations. That's the biggest connection a large portion of the alumni have to their universities after graduation.

The mandate that future NBA players have to be one year removed from high school isn't an NCAA rule, it's an NBA rule. The NFL similarly requires draft entrees to be three years clear of high school. The NCAA may benefit from the rules, but they didn't make them.

Let's at least cast the angry finger towards the right people.
    Last edited by paintmered; 07-22-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

6. Likes:

coachpipe (07-23-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    OK, so yes to my question then. You want to make the system "fair" for literally a microscopic portion of student athletes and then tell all the rest of them "suck it, not my problem."

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard in my life.

Oh my god, Andrew Wiggins has to go to college for a year before he makes more money than he could possibly spend in his life in the NBA. What a tragedy. Cry me a freaking river.
    So let's say you work at a company that pays you and your coworkers all $39,000. You bring in $1,000,000 in pure revenue for your company. Your coworker COSTS the company $27,000.

Should you both be paid the same? Should one of you even have a job?

Plus, getting rid of title IX would basically guarantee no sports would be available for women, which if you're really in favor of, is borderline sexist.
    If a womans sport can support itself, then play away. Just like mens baseball. If you can't support the sport, then cut it. I don't care if it is baseball or field hockey or anything in between. If you can't support the sport, get rid of it. It isn't sexist. It is simple business.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I do think Wiggins should be allowed to go directly to the NBA. It's not exactly a tearjerking tragedy for him, but I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to play in the NBA now if he's ready (and apparently he is).

As for college majors that lose money, don't just about all of them lose money? Colleges need big money donations to keep the doors open, and big time college athltics is a big driver of those donations. That's the biggest connection a large portion of the alumni have to their universities after graduation.
    And they make those donations because of the sports that make money. They aren't out there donating because their boyfriend was on the swim team or because their girlfriend was on the bowling team.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of athletics departments losing money in the MAC that need the donations still. And it's not just field hockey that's losing money at those schools.

We apparently need to get rid of all liberal arts majors, music programs, theater programs, clubs, intramurals, etc. and turn Ohio State into a for-profit university as well.

11. Likes:

coachpipe (07-23-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If a womans sport can support itself, then play away. Just like mens baseball. If you can't support the sport, then cut it. I don't care if it is baseball or field hockey or anything in between. If you can't support the sport, get rid of it. It isn't sexist. It is simple business.
    "Suck it, not my problem."

Sorry, still not very compelling. I have no sympathy for future pro athletes. None. I actually think their attitude is appalling and purely greedy, and can't Ben begin to fathom the absurdity that average fans are tripping all over themselves to line up behind them. Absurd.

13. Likes:

coachpipe (07-23-2013)

What you're missing is that intercollegiate athletics have an intrinsic value and enhance the collegiate environment in a way that is impossible to quantify and as such shouldn't be treated like a subsidiary arm of a corporation.

That being said I think it's pretty arbitrary that the funding of non-revenue sports should be derived from the profits of the revenue generating sports and at the expense of the athletes that create that money. If a university feels that intercollegiate athletics are an important part of a vibrant campus (and I do) then they should fund them independently and on an equal basis with regards to gender.

15. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-22-2013)

"Suck it, not my problem."

Sorry, still not very compelling. I have no sympathy for future pro athletes. None. I actually think their attitude is appalling and purely greedy, and can't Ben begin to fathom the absurdity that average fans are tripping all over themselves to line up behind them. Absurd.
    What exactly have they done that is "greedy"? I'm not sure where that is coming from.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I suppose you don't care for the Olympics, either. One of the reasons why the US is so successful in Olympic sports is because of our college sports system. Of course, most of those sports are not revenue generating sports for colleges. So you say goodbye to most swim teams, track teams, women's sports, and more. Colleges provide opportunities for great athletes to perfect their skills while getting an education, and many of those athletes wouldn't be able to afford college or continue to train without scholarships. They'd have to give it up or get a job. Then Olympic sports become more like gymnastics and figure skating, where only those with parents who can afford to fund their kids on their own or put their kids into elite sports academies get a shot.

And I wouldn't call a free education unfair compensation, considering how much those who don't have scholarships have to pay. Oh, add to that the free room and board, where many athletes get special consideration on housing, free food (with much more food credit than the average student), free health care (which I had to pay for myself). Add in the future benefits in earning potential these players get from a college degree, compared to what those who don't have a degree make, and they have it quite good. Take that away and a lot of the players from low income backgrounds end up with a few years of minor league ball and a career in manual labor, or if they get injured, maybe a life on social security disability, because the NFL and NBA aren't going to pay for pensions for players who don't play in the NFL or NBA. If a college kid gets injured, they can at least finish their degree and have the potential to find a job where having blown out knees or a bad back isn't a liability.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

18. Likes:

coachpipe (07-23-2013),Screwball (07-26-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-22-2013)

Colleges and universities are not businesses.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

20. Likes:

Donder (07-22-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Well, except for those for-profit institutions like the ITT Techs, Brown-Mackie Colleges, Strayer Universities and others of that ilk that have popped up everywhere. But then they don't offer scholarships and have sports because it's bad for the bottom line.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Yes, they are. They charge money for a product. The customer gets a product for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    What you're missing is that intercollegiate athletics have an intrinsic value and enhance the collegiate environment in a way that is impossible to quantify and as such shouldn't be treated like a subsidiary arm of a corporation.
    But that's what's happening now. Football is the big revenue generator for most of these big schools. Just like laundry detergent is a big revenue generator for a company like P&G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?